Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Is "steam oil" good for anything else?

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Or should I just pitch it (small quantity)? Bob

I just remembered that steam oil (also called steam cylinder oil) has some
lard oil in it. It's not much, but it has something to do with emulsifying
it with condensed steam, I think. This is from 30- or 40-year-old memory, so
don't quote me.

The old-timers would have a fit if you used motor oil in a model steam
engine. But, other than that use, I can't think of anything else for which
you'd want just a small amount of lard oil. It's probably not enough to use
it as a cutting oil.

I once belonged to a model engine club and the steamers had a lot of arcane
knowledge.

--
Ed Huntress