DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Is "steam oil" good for anything else? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/323556-steam-oil-good-anything-else.html)

Bob Engelhardt May 20th 11 06:49 PM

Is "steam oil" good for anything else?

Or should I just pitch it (small quantity)? Bob

Larry Jaques[_4_] May 20th 11 11:18 PM

Is "steam oil" good for anything else?

On Fri, 20 May 2011 13:49:35 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Or should I just pitch it (small quantity)? Bob

I should think that the tiny amount of oil a person is able to wring
out of steam and collect in a can would be quite valuable...to
someone.

--
It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no
distinctively native American criminal class except Congress.

[email protected] May 21st 11 03:19 AM

wrote:

Or should I just pitch it (small quantity)? Bob

Where are you? I could use some for my model steam angine in Ontario
Canada

[email protected] May 22nd 11 01:01 AM

On May 20, 11:49*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Or should I just pitch it (small quantity)? *Bob

Live steamers would love it. I also had a old-timey recipe for making
axle grease for wagons using steam oil after the soap carrier was made
up. Called for 50 gallons for making about 1000 lbs of grease, so not
really for small quantities.

Stan

Bob Engelhardt May 24th 11 04:52 PM

wrote:

Or should I just pitch it (small quantity)? Bob

Where are you? I could use some for my model steam angine in Ontario
Canada

I finally got around to checking with the post office on shipping this
oil & I can mail it. First, its "provenance": I got it at a garage sale
of a guy that was into model steam engines. It was in an oiler that
said "steam oil" (it was the oiler that I wanted - solid brass pump
style). Other than that, I can't say.

If you still want it, it would be about $4 postage to Toronto.

Bob

Oh ... there's maybe 1/2 cup.

Ed Huntress May 24th 11 09:36 PM

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Or should I just pitch it (small quantity)? Bob

I just remembered that steam oil (also called steam cylinder oil) has some
lard oil in it. It's not much, but it has something to do with emulsifying
it with condensed steam, I think. This is from 30- or 40-year-old memory, so
don't quote me.

The old-timers would have a fit if you used motor oil in a model steam
engine. But, other than that use, I can't think of anything else for which
you'd want just a small amount of lard oil. It's probably not enough to use
it as a cutting oil.

I once belonged to a model engine club and the steamers had a lot of arcane
knowledge.

--
Ed Huntress