Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 7/16 x 20 square nut

Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Looks to be a standard size lug nut.

If you're not too fussy about form or fit.

http://www.brandsport.com/golugnuwhlof1.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CEAQ8wIwAg#
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl

Tried your local hardware store ? How about the farm supply ?

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 05 May 2011 13:48:57 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl

http://www.google.com/...

no, I need a square nut

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl

http://www.google.com/...

no, I need a square nut

Well, that lets out all the nuts on this group. They were all
rounded off, long ago.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl

http://www.google.com/...

no, I need a square nut

Well, that lets out all the nuts on this group. They were all
rounded off, long ago.

Too bad i don't need a wing nut. There's lots of those here, both left
and right.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

The root diameter is 25/64", do you have a 3/8" square nut to drill
out?

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How many do you need?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl

http://www.google.com/...

no, I need a square nut

Well, that lets out all the nuts on this group. They were all
rounded off, long ago.

Too bad I don't need a wing nut. There's lots of those here, both left
and right.

Yeah, if you can find any that still have decent threads. ;-)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/5/2011 1:27 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:
Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl

I found 7 square nuts in the 7/16 nut box. But, all are 7/16 X 14
thread. I don't think I have ever seen square nuts with fine threads.
Perhaps that why the normal sources don't have any.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl

http://www.google.com/...

no, I need a square nut

Isn't it amazing how few seem to read the entire post
before submitting some response. :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl

In my opinion, yes, you'll have to "roll your own". 7/16-20 is a(n) SAE
thread, so it's highly unlikely to be found as a square nut. I would
expect you'd find only USS threads in square nuts, if any at all.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl

How about facing off the 'weld nut' features from their
P/N 2011?

http://www.jhpfasteners.com/BUCKEYE/4-S.htm

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 05 May 2011 20:39:44 -0700, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 5/5/2011 1:27 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:
Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl

I found 7 square nuts in the 7/16 nut box. But, all are 7/16 X 14
thread. I don't think I have ever seen square nuts with fine threads.
Perhaps that why the normal sources don't have any.

Just put it in your nut squeezer and make it a 14, Paul.

--
I dislike arguments of any kind. They
are always vulgar and often convincing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 05 May 2011 15:27:36 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl

I can't recall ever seeing a square nut in a fine thread, only coarse.
Are you replacing existing?

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl

I can't recall ever seeing a square nut in a fine thread, only coarse.
Are you replacing existing?

Pete Keillor

Yep. On my 8N tractor there are two nut keepers with square fine
thread 7/16 nuts to bolt body to frame by the lower raditor. I guess I
*could* buy the whole frame piece. Not going to happen.

"Midas" added a couple more items to the 8N rebuild yesterday. While I
have it apart I Midas well put in electronic ignition. And if the
igintion is completely replaced I Midas well put a new carburator on
too.

We painted the castings two days ago and I'm on final assembly.

Karl

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl

I can't recall ever seeing a square nut in a fine thread, only coarse.
Are you replacing existing?

Pete Keillor

Yep. On my 8N tractor there are two nut keepers with square fine
thread 7/16 nuts to bolt body to frame by the lower raditor. I guess I
*could* buy the whole frame piece. Not going to happen.

"Midas" added a couple more items to the 8N rebuild yesterday. While I
have it apart I Midas well put in electronic ignition. And if the
igintion is completely replaced I Midas well put a new carburator on
too.

We painted the castings two days ago and I'm on final assembly.

Karl

karl

Yup, sounds like you're going to make them, unless you have an 8N
parts machine.

Pete
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On May 6, 6:25*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:

"Midas" added a couple more items to the 8N rebuild yesterday. While I
have it apart I Midas well put in electronic ignition. And if the
igintion is completely replaced I Midas well put a new carburator on
too.

What - no fuel injection??
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 6 May 2011 07:48:44 -0700 (PDT), Rex
wrote:

On May 6, 6:25*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:

"Midas" added a couple more items to the 8N rebuild yesterday. While I
have it apart I Midas well put in electronic ignition. And if the
igintion is completely replaced I Midas well put a new carburator on
too.

What - no fuel injection??

Did you know you can still drive a tractor on the public roads after
losing your licence?

A guy I knew put a Ford flathead V8 on an 8N and then super charged
it. Big turf tires and an early Ford front steering and suspension. He
could pass folks on the highway on his way to the bar.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-06, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Fri, 6 May 2011 07:48:44 -0700 (PDT), Rex
wrote:

On May 6, 6:25?am, Karl Townsend
wrote:

"Midas" added a couple more items to the 8N rebuild yesterday. While I
have it apart I Midas well put in electronic ignition. And if the
igintion is completely replaced I Midas well put a new carburator on
too.

What - no fuel injection??

Did you know you can still drive a tractor on the public roads after
losing your licence?

A guy I knew put a Ford flathead V8 on an 8N and then super charged
it. Big turf tires and an early Ford front steering and suspension. He
could pass folks on the highway on his way to the bar.

I saw one guy like that, driving a supercharged tractor super fast. It
was very funny.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/6/2011 8:30 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Fri, 6 May 2011 07:48:44 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On May 6, 6:25 am, Karl
wrote:

"Midas" added a couple more items to the 8N rebuild yesterday. While I
have it apart I Midas well put in electronic ignition. And if the
igintion is completely replaced I Midas well put a new carburator on
too.

What - no fuel injection??

Did you know you can still drive a tractor on the public roads after
losing your licence?

A guy I knew put a Ford flathead V8 on an 8N and then super charged
it. Big turf tires and an early Ford front steering and suspension. He
could pass folks on the highway on his way to the bar.

Karl

The steering on any Ford tractor of that vintage was very dangerous,
even with the 4-banger engine. The gear ratio is so fast that it's easy
to loose control in high gear/full throttle. Have you ever been driving
the tractor and hit a stump or hole with one front wheel an have your
thumb nearly snapped off? Not pleasant!

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 6 May 2011 07:48:44 -0700 (PDT), Rex
wrote:

On May 6, 6:25Â*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:

"Midas" added a couple more items to the 8N rebuild yesterday. While I
have it apart I Midas well put in electronic ignition. And if the
igintion is completely replaced I Midas well put a new carburator on
too.

What - no fuel injection??

My thoughts exactly. Surely someone puts out a kit.
'Course, I saw a sweet and throaty Ford 302 V-8 conversion of a
FarmAll in Medford a couple years ago.

http://www.tractorshed.com/fordnclub/npic42097.htm Here's an 8Na cute
V-6 with EFI. Headers look GREAT on a tractor, wot?

--
I dislike arguments of any kind. They
are always vulgar and often convincing.
-- Oscar Wilde
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 7/16 x 20 square nut (tractor anecdotes)

I heard anecote about a guy who got a DWI while on a lawn
tractor / riding lawn mower. I don't remember any other
details.

Anyone remember the teenage boy who drive a riding mower
from some where to the Clinton White house for some reason?

When I was visiting a nursing home, one fellow was quad,
after a motor cycle wreck. Young fellow, in his thirties.
He'd got a power recliner chair, with chin activated joy
stick. He'd figured out all the wheel chair ramps, and would
pilot it across state route 88, to a small town bar. Get
someone to pour a couple drinks into him, and then drive his
power chair back to the nursing home. Of course, he'd come
back stoned, cause the alcohol would conflict with his
medication.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Karl Townsend" wrote in
message ...

Did you know you can still drive a tractor on the public
roads after
losing your licence?

A guy I knew put a Ford flathead V8 on an 8N and then super
charged
it. Big turf tires and an early Ford front steering and
suspension. He
could pass folks on the highway on his way to the bar.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 5, 3:27*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl

Here you go ..... Bottom of the page... $6.90

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/store/s...&r=nseries.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl

I can't recall ever seeing a square nut in a fine thread, only coarse.
Are you replacing existing?

Pete Keillor

Yep. On my 8N tractor there are two nut keepers with square fine
thread 7/16 nuts to bolt body to frame by the lower raditor. I guess I
*could* buy the whole frame piece. Not going to happen.

"Midas" added a couple more items to the 8N rebuild yesterday. While I
have it apart I Midas well put in electronic ignition. And if the
igintion is completely replaced I Midas well put a new carburator on
too.

We painted the castings two days ago and I'm on final assembly.

Karl

karl

You do have a proper tap..right?

Got some square bar stock? Make your own. Make em bigger than normal so
they fit the washers better.

It takes 10 minutes for a handful of them in the lathe.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 7 May 2011 13:24:56 -0700 (PDT), Cross-Slide
wrote:

On May 5, 3:27*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl

Here you go ..... Bottom of the page... $6.90

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/store/s...&r=nseries.htm

BINGO!

cheap too.

Wish I'd ask earlier. I see they sell a new battery box. I fidled away
the better part of a day building one myself.

Thanks

Karl

old square Larry Blanchard Woodworking 1 November 24th 09 05:51 PM
out of square cj Home Repair 4 May 13th 09 05:26 PM
Screw Heads: Square Recess vs Square Phillips vs Star vs Lox vs ... abby Woodworking 3 August 6th 08 03:34 PM
square head--not square drive--screws [email protected] Woodworking 4 June 13th 05 09:03 PM
Which faces of a machinists square are square? Ben Jackson Metalworking 16 March 15th 05 11:24 PM