Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electrical code question

My ex is in the process of buying a house. When I looked at the place
I noticed that the Romex cables coming from the main box are draped
over the tops of the ceiling joists in the garage (perpendicular to
them) with no support, nor any staples or attachment of any kind.

It was my understanding that when romex was run over the top of the
joists that they must put a 1X under the cables so they don't sag and
have staples to restrain them.

Anyone know if this is correct?

This hose is a foreclosure and the selling bank has alloted $1000 for
required repairs. The initial inspection by the lenders inspector
didn't note this in the report, but if the code does require the cable
to be supported I am thinking that this would be a good idea to get
this fixed before she inherits a problem.

Roger Shoaf
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 3 May 2011 08:13:51 -0700 (PDT), RS at work
wrote:

My ex is in the process of buying a house. When I looked at the place
I noticed that the Romex cables coming from the main box are draped
over the tops of the ceiling joists in the garage (perpendicular to
them) with no support, nor any staples or attachment of any kind.

It was my understanding that when romex was run over the top of the
joists that they must put a 1X under the cables so they don't sag and
have staples to restrain them.

Anyone know if this is correct?

This hose is a foreclosure and the selling bank has alloted $1000 for
required repairs. The initial inspection by the lenders inspector
didn't note this in the report, but if the code does require the cable
to be supported I am thinking that this would be a good idea to get
this fixed before she inherits a problem.

Roger Shoaf

As an old alarm installer..this is generally what I recall seeing.
Seldom would the romex be supported by anything other than the rafters
in any house I ever crawled the attics in.

I do a lot of commerical electrical these days..and see that
occasionally in older office sections of shops as well.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RS at work wrote:
My ex is in the process of buying a house. When I looked at the place
I noticed that the Romex cables coming from the main box are draped
over the tops of the ceiling joists in the garage (perpendicular to
them) with no support, nor any staples or attachment of any kind.

It was my understanding that when romex was run over the top of the
joists that they must put a 1X under the cables so they don't sag and
have staples to restrain them.

Anyone know if this is correct?

Absolutely, for new work. But there's a whole
class of exceptions for remodeling/repair/addons.

Call the city building inspector.

This hose is a foreclosure and the selling bank has alloted $1000 for
required repairs. The initial inspection by the lenders inspector
didn't note this in the report, but if the code does require the cable
to be supported I am thinking that this would be a good idea to get
this fixed before she inherits a problem.

Roger Shoaf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It IS required by code up here - not sure it that is NEC or Canada
(or Ontario) specific. In an attic with a ceiling below, the board may
not be required, but in basements and open rafter structures it is
(apparently to keep people from hanging things on the wire)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/3/2011 11:13 AM, RS at work wrote:
My ex is in the process of buying a house. When I looked at the place
I noticed that the Romex cables coming from the main box are draped

No one downloaded that 2011 NEC from the binaries newsgroup?

I'll be quiet now.

MikeB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My ex is in the process of buying a house. When I looked at the place
I noticed that the Romex cables coming from the main box are draped
over the tops of the ceiling joists in the garage (perpendicular to
them) with no support, nor any staples or attachment of any kind.

It was my understanding that when romex was run over the top of the
joists that they must put a 1X under the cables so they don't sag and
have staples to restrain them.

Anyone know if this is correct?

This hose is a foreclosure and the selling bank has alloted $1000 for
required repairs. The initial inspection by the lenders inspector
didn't note this in the report, but if the code does require the cable
to be supported I am thinking that this would be a good idea to get
this fixed before she inherits a problem.

Roger Shoaf

WOW, if a few missing staples is all that you can find wrong don't
worry about it!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Josepi wrote:
It is common practice to leave the cables resting on the rafters in a
garage. They are supported.

Come on you guys. Rafters are what hold the roof
surface up. (You know the things that are sort of
pointy in the UP direction)

The things you walk on in an attic are ceiling
joists.

Gee what maroons. :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 04 May 2011 17:01:15 -0600, Lewis Hartswick
wrote:

Josepi wrote:
It is common practice to leave the cables resting on the rafters in a
garage. They are supported.

Come on you guys. Rafters are what hold the roof
surface up. (You know the things that are sort of
pointy in the UP direction)

The things you walk on in an attic are ceiling
joists.

Or roof trusses - which are both rafter and joist.
Gee what maroons. :-)
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My bad! I must have been insane at the time. I hope nobody has built a roof
from my error.

This should have been "rafter ties" or usually "ceiling joists"

-----------------------
m...

---------------
Josepi wrote:
It is common practice to leave the cables resting on the rafters in a
garage. They are supported.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lewis Hartswick wrote:
Josepi wrote:
It is common practice to leave the cables resting on the rafters in a
garage. They are supported.

Come on you guys. Rafters are what hold the roof
surface up. (You know the things that are sort of
pointy in the UP direction)

The things you walk on in an attic are ceiling
joists.

So, if you're in the living room, those 2 x 12s the ceiling is
nailed to are rafters, but if you're in the attic stepping
on their top edge, they're joists? ?:-/

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RS at work wrote:

... The initial inspection by the lenders inspector
didn't note this in the report...

That's all you need. If the inspector didn't say it's not OK, it
should be OK. After all, the lender is the one who eats it if
the house burns down. (a highly remote possibility.) I'd put the
1x's under them and staple the romex to the 1x's just because
then you won't have drooping romex, which would look kinda like
sloppy workmanship.

I'm kinda persnickety that way. :-)

Cheers!
Rich