Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default bush carb. FINISHED gravely

Cold rainy day today. I started by putting batteries in the big
backhoe and forklift. I'd rebuilt both machines last year and both
units fired right up.

You may remember my asking about repair of a worn throttle on the
gravely carb. This is a piece of cake job. After stripping the carb. I
noticed the throttle shaft was 1/4" so I mounted a 1/4 drill rod in a
collet and slid the carb up so the drill rod went the entire length of
the throttle shaft. Then moved the vice and tightened the carb in
place so the drill rod easily slid up and down. Then the part was
located.

I drilled out to 5/16 with an end mill. Then turned a 5/16 by 1/4
bushing in the lathe. I was able to have a 1/8 in. shoulder at .400"
for above the carb. Put on a dab of JB weld after the carb spent a
hour in the ultrasonic cleaner and reassembled throttle shaft. Its
just like new with a rebuild kit.

I also did the finishing touches on the complete rebuild of my
commercial gravely lawn tractor. The 40 year old Gravely has spent
about 200 labor hours in the shop this winter and went from a bone
yard candidate to a like new machine.

I also rebuilt an 8N ford this winter. Its still in a pile waiting for
warm weather to get a complete paint job. All the body metal has
already been powder coated so just the castings are left.

Winter is almost over.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
[...]

Damn, you're industrious! We call that "Puppy Blood" and I WANT some!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Damn, you're industrious! We call that "Puppy Blood" and I WANT some!

Na, this is proof i haven't got a real job.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

Damn, you're industrious! We call that "Puppy Blood" and I WANT
some!

Na, this is proof i haven't got a real job.

Karl

If you love what you do, you never go to work! Strawberry season
starts for you any day now? I get two quarts a week, they're almost
always two-for-one BUT the local farmers have the orgasmic ones. And
for a diabetic, they are a wonder-fruit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

Damn, you're industrious! We call that "Puppy Blood" and I WANT some!

Na, this is proof i haven't got a real job.

I've been working on an automatic transmission rebuild

--FWIW, removing the yellow circlip that retains the tailshaft into the
4l60E lower case is a real bitch....

Common failure point--mine looks almost identical :

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9...ensunshell.png

I'll be picking up a "beefed up" version this afternoon--round trip to
Portland...also fertilizer at Simplot, and this weeks anodizing at Electro
Chem.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:sO2dnerF8vTC7zXQnZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

Damn, you're industrious! We call that "Puppy Blood" and I WANT
some!

Na, this is proof i haven't got a real job.

I've been working on an automatic transmission rebuild

--FWIW, removing the yellow circlip that retains the tailshaft into
the 4l60E lower case is a real bitch....

That's why they are called "Jesus Clips".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 13:55:32 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:sO2dnerF8vTC7zXQnZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@scnresearch .com...

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

Damn, you're industrious! We call that "Puppy Blood" and I WANT
some!

Na, this is proof i haven't got a real job.

I've been working on an automatic transmission rebuild

--FWIW, removing the yellow circlip that retains the tailshaft into
the 4l60E lower case is a real bitch....

That's why they are called "Jesus Clips".

I bought a Jesus Clip Retainer from MAC tools in another life. Worked
like a charm on those teensy carb linkage clips in gawdawful tight
places.

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you love what you do, you never go to work! Strawberry season
starts for you any day now? I get two quarts a week, they're almost
always two-for-one BUT the local farmers have the orgasmic ones. And
for a diabetic, they are a wonder-fruit.

I still love what i do, but it was easier when I was younger. We just
pulled the straw off the berries and will get the solid set irrigation
running next week. Then plant a new patch. We start a new section
every year and keep it for three production years.

I'll brag a bit. I have a consultant that goes to nearly all patches
in MN. He's done an extensive study of many of these businesses and he
tells me we have the best in the state. We show up as an outlier on
all the charts of quality, price (we're high), costs, and profit. The
secret is Julie - she works double hard and I don't pay her.

I must have missed your diabetis. My honey has been a type one for 20
years. The new high tech constant monitoring device and insulin pump
has really helped her.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 13:55:32 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:sO2dnerF8vTC7zXQnZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@scnresearc h.com...

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

Damn, you're industrious! We call that "Puppy Blood" and I WANT
some!

Na, this is proof i haven't got a real job.

I've been working on an automatic transmission rebuild

--FWIW, removing the yellow circlip that retains the tailshaft into
the 4l60E lower case is a real bitch....

That's why they are called "Jesus Clips".

I bought a Jesus Clip Retainer from MAC tools in another life. Worked
like a charm on those teensy carb linkage clips in gawdawful tight
places.

This one is about an inch in diameter and appx .060 x .090 cross section.

Similar to this :

http://img.directindustry.fr/images_...lip-130210.jpg

And it's in a fairly difficult to reach area, down inside of the planet
carrier

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Damn, you're industrious! We call that "Puppy Blood" and I WANT some!

Na, this is proof i haven't got a real job.

I've been working on an automatic transmission rebuild

--FWIW, removing the yellow circlip that retains the tailshaft into the
4l60E lower case is a real bitch....

Common failure point--mine looks almost identical :

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9...ensunshell.png

I'll be picking up a "beefed up" version this afternoon--round trip to
Portland...also fertilizer at Simplot, and this weeks anodizing at
Electro Chem.

Take a CLOSE look at the replacement. Check the root of the splines and
the root of the stub. You want to see a radius.
Some of the "beefed up" versions used straight cut splines and they have
nor fillet at the base of the stub, they also like to shear off due to the
stress.

There is a nice fillet, and the spline appears to have been broached.

I have had real good luck with the Heavy Duty Beast sunshell kit. They
have a nice heat treated spline and generous fillets on the ground areas.

The guy there offered me a used take-out beast shell on the cheap but I
opted for a new one--since that failure mode is obviously caused by repetive
stress I felt best to go with new...

--kicking myself now, because I hadnt noticed till I got home that on the
box it says "Made in China"....

Now I have to decide whether to go back and get the other one... ( I
probably will ) and I dunno if they are open on saturdays, and I had other
plans for the weekend etc....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I must have missed your diabetis. My honey has been a type one for 20
years. The new high tech constant monitoring device and insulin pump
has really helped her.

Good for her. That's good news.

I was put on Insulin a few weeks ago, and I am still not used to it.
They changed most of my medications and put me on antibiotics for the
damage to my left leg, which screws up my blood sugar levels as well.
Now the VA has me seeing one doctor or another every week, after two
years of mostly ignoring me.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 16:34:02 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

If you love what you do, you never go to work! Strawberry season
starts for you any day now? I get two quarts a week, they're almost
always two-for-one BUT the local farmers have the orgasmic ones. And
for a diabetic, they are a wonder-fruit.

I still love what i do, but it was easier when I was younger. We just
pulled the straw off the berries and will get the solid set irrigation
running next week. Then plant a new patch. We start a new section
every year and keep it for three production years.

I'll brag a bit. I have a consultant that goes to nearly all patches
in MN. He's done an extensive study of many of these businesses and he
tells me we have the best in the state. We show up as an outlier on
all the charts of quality, price (we're high), costs, and profit. The
secret is Julie - she works double hard and I don't pay her.

When will you have ripe fruit?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When will you have ripe fruit?

Looks like a late season this year and we always open on a Saturday.
So, June 18. We have a "special list" for good customers for that
first week when we're not up to full production. Normally for those
folks that see us every year. There may be room on that list for old
EEs that consistantly help out with all sorts of projects.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hijacked ! Strawberries ...

Karl Townsend wrote:
When will you have ripe fruit?

Looks like a late season this year and we always open on a Saturday.
So, June 18. We have a "special list" for good customers for that
first week when we're not up to full production. Normally for those
folks that see us every year. There may be room on that list for old
EEs that consistantly help out with all sorts of projects.

Karl

Hey Karl , got a strawberry question . I bought one of those packages of 10
(June-bearing) plants at wallyworld , planted them in a prepped bed a week
ago according to the package instructions . How long should it take before I
start seeing green? These are well-rooted (roots 5-6" long) starts .
The wife sez she doesn't think we'll get berries this year , but the web
sites I've looked at seem to indicate a small crop the first year ... and
better in succeeding years depending on how I care for them . I'm on new
ground here , haven't a clue what I'm getting into . But we love
strawberries , and for a couple of bucks worth of starts and a little work
I'm willing to try .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Carb jet? Jim Wilkins Metalworking 29 May 6th 10 01:27 AM
A True GodMan Production - Trust CNN as our Defenders of Humanity? - I DEMAND a public debate with Americans on the FACT that George Walker Bush is a war criminal. Example to Humanity: the Iraq conflict has no cause. Period. Despite demon Bush re HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 0 April 17th 08 12:04 AM
Carb Adjustments ? Patch Home Repair 5 June 1st 05 11:08 PM
New shop open, my first workbench is finished, just not finished... JC Woodworking 8 May 31st 05 02:02 AM