Patch

Default Carb Adjustments ?

I've got a Huskee riding mower, 15.5 Hp, Tecumseh engine. Lately I have to
have the choke pulled out about 1\3 to keep it running. I've replaced the
plug, cleaned the air-cleaner, replaced the gas line filter. I've sprayed
about a 1\3 can of carb cleaner into the carb with the engine running. No
improvement so far. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks

Duane Bozarth

Patch wrote:

I've got a Huskee riding mower, 15.5 Hp, Tecumseh engine. Lately I have to
have the choke pulled out about 1\3 to keep it running. I've replaced the
plug, cleaned the air-cleaner, replaced the gas line filter. I've sprayed
about a 1\3 can of carb cleaner into the carb with the engine running. No
improvement so far. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks

Find the air leak...
Stubby

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Patch wrote:

I've got a Huskee riding mower, 15.5 Hp, Tecumseh engine. Lately I have to
have the choke pulled out about 1\3 to keep it running. I've replaced the
plug, cleaned the air-cleaner, replaced the gas line filter. I've sprayed
about a 1\3 can of carb cleaner into the carb with the engine running. No
improvement so far. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks

Find the air leak...

Right. Start by rebuilding the carburetor. You can buy a kit at a
small engine repair shop. [I'll bet you ran it dry last Fall. That
lets the gaskets dry out. No good, contrary to popular opinion.]

DaveW

"Patch" wrote in message
news:1117649978.ef403cb0337e277afeb08f1b77454866@t eranews...
I've got a Huskee riding mower, 15.5 Hp, Tecumseh engine. Lately I
have to have the choke pulled out about 1\3 to keep it running.
I've replaced the plug, cleaned the air-cleaner, replaced the gas
line filter. I've sprayed about a 1\3 can of carb cleaner into the
carb with the engine running. No improvement so far. Any
suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks

Yes, do look for and air leak.
If none found, locate highspeed air/fuel mixture adjustment on carb
and turn counter-clockwise in 1/8 turn increment (while engine is
running, choke open and operating temperature) until it runs smooth.
If it bogs down under heavy load, give it another 1/8 turn.

Oh.... if the problem is when idling, locate the idle mixture screw
and do the same procedure as above.

CR

"Patch" wrote in message
news:1117649978.ef403cb0337e277afeb08f1b77454866@t eranews...
I've got a Huskee riding mower, 15.5 Hp, Tecumseh engine. Lately I have to
have the choke pulled out about 1\3 to keep it running. I've replaced the
plug, cleaned the air-cleaner, replaced the gas line filter. I've sprayed
about a 1\3 can of carb cleaner into the carb with the engine running. No
improvement so far. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks

Try all of the above suggestions but first make sure that your fuel is good.
If it was in the tank and or your gas can over the winter (meaning you
probably bought it sometime last summer) it should be the first thing to
check.
Been there done that, all of the usual fixes to no avail and then changed
gas to cure the problem, DOH! Man did I feel dumb.
CR

Stormin Mormon

There is (or should be) a gasket between the carb adn the side of the motor.

Replace it. Coat lightly with Permatex #2 non hardening gasket sealer.
Permatex is messy as heck, try not to get it on hands, clothes. etc.

Remit $48.50 for experienced counsell.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus