Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Skydiving

http://igor.chudov.com/humor/Skydiving.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus10155 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/humor/Skydiving.jpg

That doesn't look like fun.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4da703d2$0$5163
:

That doesn't look like fun.

Nor humorous. Unless that's a helicopter he's jumped out of, and that
static line really tangled up securely, he's in a world of ****. All his
equipment has been yanked off. He'd basically have to cut away AND "re-
dress himself" in time to pull his reserve.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/14/2011 6:04 AM, Ignoramus10155 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/humor/Skydiving.jpg

That's an "OH ****" moment if ever I've seen one...

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4da703d2$0$5163
:

That doesn't look like fun.

Nor humorous. Unless that's a helicopter he's jumped out of, and that
static line really tangled up securely, he's in a world of ****. All his
equipment has been yanked off. He'd basically have to cut away AND "re-
dress himself" in time to pull his reserve.

LLoyd

It appears that the altitude is pretty low, so "Re-dressing" would be
pretty much impossible in what is likely less than 60 seconds from
*splat*. His only hope is rescue from someone in the aircraft.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 14, 10:04*am, Ignoramus10155 ignoramus10...@NOSPAM.
10155.invalid wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/humor/Skydiving.jpg

Now you gotta go do the research on if he lived or died...

dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

10155.invalid wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/humor/Skydiving.jpg

Now you gotta go do the research on if he lived or died...

dave

http://biggeekdad.com/2010/06/paratrooper/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck fired this volley in news:65ff8792-
:

http://biggeekdad.com/2010/06/paratrooper/

Yeah, wow. It's a good thing he was jumping with a static line from a
military plane. It was purely the right thing, but I never guessed they'd
tie another 'chute onto his line and cut him away from inside.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:12:11 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

http://biggeekdad.com/2010/06/paratrooper/

Wow.

It wouldn't have mattered that the load masters hooked up an emergency
chute in my case. I would have died of raw fear before they got that
far. That hanging uder the plane thing, all tied up in a tangled
mess..... well that just wouldn't have set to well with my nervous
system.

They guy sure got lucky.
Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 14, 7:47*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
rangerssuck fired this volley in news:65ff8792-
:

http://biggeekdad.com/2010/06/paratrooper/

Yeah, wow. *It's a good thing he was jumping with a static line from a
military plane. *It was purely the right thing, but I never guessed they'd
tie another 'chute onto his line and cut him away from inside.

LLoyd

It was pretty sharp thinking. Ya gotta wonder if that trick's in a
manual somewhere. Perhaps on Iggy's site?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 09:04:08 -0500, Ignoramus10155
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/humor/Skydiving.jpg

Motto: If at first you don't succeed, forgo skydiving.

--
The United States of America is the greatest, the
noblest and, in its original founding principles,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 08:44:03 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 4/14/2011 6:04 AM, Ignoramus10155 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/humor/Skydiving.jpg

That's an "OH ****" moment if ever I've seen one...

SURELY his skivvies have new buttonholes punched in them.

--
The United States of America is the greatest, the
noblest and, in its original founding principles,
the only moral country in the history of the world.
-- Ayn Rand
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/humor/Skydiving.jpg

Motto: If at first you don't succeed, forgo skydiving.

I actually did skydive, with a static line, once. It was interesting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/humor/Skydiving.jpg

Motto: If at first you don't succeed, forgo skydiving.

I actually did skydive, with a static line, once. It was interesting.

Tandem here, from 14,000'. Definitely spectacular and I doubt there is
much of anything else like it. Certainly something to be sure to try at
least once in your life.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 17:58:59 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

It was pretty sharp thinking. Ya gotta wonder if that trick's in a
manual somewhere. Perhaps on Iggy's site?

It looked like they were using an SOP for that situation. They pulled
that emergency chute out of that little red gear bag you can see in
the foreground in the video. They must have one stowed on each drop
plane for just such a contingency.

I wonder whatever became of the first few guys that got tangled up
before they developed the SOP? Because it usually takes a few screw
ups before somebody decides a policy and procedure fix is in order.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/humor/Skydiving.jpg

Motto: If at first you don't succeed, forgo skydiving.

I actually did skydive, with a static line, once. It was interesting.

I made it thorough all the static line jumps to my first free fall.
Then got shipped to Viet Nam. That was more exciting that skydiving.
Especially the part about landing without rotor blades...

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus10155 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/humor/Skydiving.jpg

Here's another static line jumper in tow situation, a sport jump in this
one (warning, contains obnoxious 'music'):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEewo8M---Y&feature=related

I learned on static lines way back in the early 70's... as did all sport
jumpers back then. We had no 'steenking' tandems, and we liked it.

Jumper in tow 'events' were extremely rare then, same as now.

In the first jump course we were taught that if ok, we were to put both
hands on top of our helmet, and the jump master would cut the static
line, and we were to handle it like any other high speed malfunction[1],
by opening the reserve.

If you weren't ok, the jump master was to lower him/her self down the
static line via locking carabiner, get hold of the jumpers harness and
cut the static line. As both fell away, the jump master would
immediately pull the students reserve, then open his/her main.

If you ever did end up in tow, you were NOT to open your reserve until
you were back in free fall... somewhere around here I have a grainy B&W
photo of a jumper with Cessna attached to his static line, all
descending under a reserve canopy. Supposedly the only injury was
suffered by the pilot, a broken arm. I hear there have been cases
aircraft being broken up in flight.

Note the guy in the video above pulled his reserve in tow... it was a
very lucky day for all concerned that he broke free. His reserve could
have also inflated and flown up over the horizontal stabilizer...
another very sad situation should it ever occur.

Here's another sort of related jump video caused by a maim canopy
getting out while the jumper was still in the door:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imo3Nip-slc

Had this guys main gone over the stabilizer, the aircraft, remaining
jumpers and pilot would have likely been lost.

Erik

[1] There are two broad families of parachute malfunctions. 'High speed'
malfunctions are where nothing (or little) is out and for all practical
purposes your still in free fall. High speed malfunctions are rare.

The second and by far most common are 'low speed', where your main is
out, but something is wrong with it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malfunction_(parachuting)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/humor/Skydiving.jpg
Motto: If at first you don't succeed, forgo skydiving.

I actually did skydive, with a static line, once. It was interesting.

I made it thorough all the static line jumps to my first free fall.
Then got shipped to Viet Nam. That was more exciting that skydiving.
Especially the part about landing without rotor blades...

I bet Viet Nam was 100 times more exciting...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus10155" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/humor/Skydiving.jpg

Reminds me of the time I had a heads down opening, hit the end of the line,
did a flip right up between my risers, now having a full twist in both
risers.

Capewelled and tossed the reserve, and the main nearly tangled in the
reserve.

Just a ****ty day all together, picking sagebrush out of the chutes for the
rest of the day.

Did a number on the twins, too.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/humor/Skydiving.jpg
Motto: If at first you don't succeed, forgo skydiving.

I actually did skydive, with a static line, once. It was interesting.

I made it thorough all the static line jumps to my first free fall.
Then got shipped to Viet Nam. That was more exciting that skydiving.
Especially the part about landing without rotor blades...

I bet Viet Nam was 100 times more exciting...

Something like that...

But I never jumped out of an airplane again.

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 23:37:25 -0500, CaveLamb

I made it thorough all the static line jumps to my first free fall.
Then got shipped to Viet Nam. That was more exciting that skydiving.
Especially the part about landing without rotor blades...

Its the part about landing with only half the rotor blades..or no tail
rotor thats a bitch...trust me

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Erik wrote:

I learned on static lines way back in the early 70's... as did all sport
jumpers back then. We had no 'steenking' tandems, and we liked it.

I'm also a sky diver, and I maintain that a tandem jump is NOT sky diving -
it's a fugging carnival ride. ;-)

For my first static lines, the bag was physically integral with the static
line, and the apex of the canopy was velcro'd inside the top of the bag,
which was then velcro'd to the harness, so it'd be virtually impossible
to hang up on it.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/humor/Skydiving.jpg

Motto: If at first you don't succeed, forgo skydiving.

I actually did skydive, with a static line, once. It was interesting.

The second jump is called the "awareness" jump. (you actually stay conscious
through it.) :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-15, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 4/14/2011 6:56 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Tandem here, from 14,000'. Definitely spectacular and I doubt there is
much of anything else like it. Certainly something to be sure to try at
least once in your life.

Read once that only 2% of those that try skydiving ever make more than
the first jump. Thought if ever I was going to try it, I'd do 2 jumps
just so I could say I was in that 2%.
But given my fear of heights.... lol

I skydived once and I liked it, scary as it was.

I also saw the regular skydivers and thought that they resembled drug
addicts in their thinking, and decided that they suffered from
adrenaline addiction. So, I decided, I would rather not join the club.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 06:40:35 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

Read once that only 2% of those that try skydiving ever make more than
the first jump. Thought if ever I was going to try it, I'd do 2 jumps
just so I could say I was in that 2%.
But given my fear of heights.... lol
Jon

I am in the 98%. I only did it once. Static line jump in one of those
old round surplus military chutes. No "steenking" tandem harnesses
back in 1978.

I was sitting in the exit door of the little Cessna. The jump master
said "go". I was about 1/2 the way gone when I looked down and saw
this little tractor driving around on this little bean field way way
down "there" on the hard hard ground. I freaked and managed to pull
back into the plane. Then I decided, since I had come this far along,
I had to jump and jumped. I looked up at the plane the whole time I
was falling until the chute opened. I am sure my jump style looked
just like a suicide leap. It was just really too exciting for me to
try again.

And funny thing: before I did it I didn't really have much fear of
heights. Now they make me nervous.
Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:

On 4/14/2011 6:56 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Tandem here, from 14,000'. Definitely spectacular and I doubt there is
much of anything else like it. Certainly something to be sure to try at
least once in your life.

Read once that only 2% of those that try skydiving ever make more than
the first jump. Thought if ever I was going to try it, I'd do 2 jumps
just so I could say I was in that 2%.
But given my fear of heights.... lol

Jon

I'm rather strange with heights, I like scaffolding, bucket trucks and
similar, but I'm not comfortable on tall ladders or hanging from a rope.
Skydiving didn't bother me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 4/14/2011 6:56 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Tandem here, from 14,000'. Definitely spectacular and I doubt there is
much of anything else like it. Certainly something to be sure to try at
least once in your life.

Read once that only 2% of those that try skydiving ever make more than the
first jump. Thought if ever I was going to try it, I'd do 2 jumps just so
I could say I was in that 2%.
But given my fear of heights.... lol

Jon

I did 11, but it helped that was in a college skydiving club- $7 a jump,
pack your own modified military chute- it was fun, but short duration, I
like kiteboarding more.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 4/14/2011 6:56 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Tandem here, from 14,000'. Definitely spectacular and I doubt there is
much of anything else like it. Certainly something to be sure to try at
least once in your life.

Read once that only 2% of those that try skydiving ever make more than
the first jump. Thought if ever I was going to try it, I'd do 2 jumps
just so I could say I was in that 2%.
But given my fear of heights.... lol

I'm with you, Jon. I can stand outside on a solid building or tower
hundreds of feet above the deck and feel just fine. But put me in a
place where I could fall off and I'm not happy at all. A safety strap
is all it would take on solid objects, but you wouldn't find me
climbing antenna towers, either. I don't think I'd like to do any
skyscraper window washing, either. Rapelling sounds like a blast,
though. Just not from 1,000 feet.

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Steve B" wrote in message

"ATP" wrote

I did 11, but it helped that was in a college skydiving club- $7 a jump,
pack your own modified military chute- it was fun, but short duration, I
like kiteboarding more.

We sat on the beach near Princetown, Kauai, and watched the kiteboarders
(is that the ocean surfing with a kite?), and it was purely awesome.
Those guys got some BIG air and LONG hang time.

Steve

Those guys are probably a lot better than me, but I have fun out there. Last
weekend was it for snowboarding, I'm ready to get back out on the water.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 12:15:15 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 4/15/2011 5:54 AM, Ignoramus1116 wrote:

I also saw the regular skydivers and thought that they resembled drug
addicts in their thinking, and decided that they suffered from
adrenaline addiction. So, I decided, I would rather not join the club.

I'm generally not attracted to activities that are so intolerant of
mistakes/failures. I prefer my adrenaline in somewhat safer, more
manageable doses...

Water skiing (self-stopping) vs hurtling 90+mph down a hill of
ice/snow with no brakes? Me, too. Fast driving and fast women are
more my speed. I vaguely remember the latter...

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

It was pretty sharp thinking. Ya gotta wonder if that trick's in a
manual somewhere. Perhaps on Iggy's site?

It looked like they were using an SOP for that situation. They pulled
that emergency chute out of that little red gear bag you can see in
the foreground in the video. They must have one stowed on each drop
plane for just such a contingency.

I wonder whatever became of the first few guys that got tangled up
before they developed the SOP? Because it usually takes a few screw
ups before somebody decides a policy and procedure fix is in order.
Dave

Yep, Emergency Chutes are standard equipment on most static line jump
planes.
It's actually not an uncommon thing to get dragged.

SOP is that the load master will notify the flight deck. They will
reduce airspeed and start looking for a clear drop zone. Then the EC
gets connected up. Once they are approaching the DZ the hung jumper will
get cut free (actually they just pop the static rail lock and let the
ring free) Once the jumper is free they can steady up and continue with
the drop.

--
Steve W.

I almost hate to ask what they do if it's a fer-real combat drop and
those troops are needed on the ground ASAP.

Maybe (best case?) they just do the emerg chute without any delay,
worst case, sorry buddy.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 4/15/2011 5:54 AM, Ignoramus1116 wrote:

I also saw the regular skydivers and thought that they resembled drug
addicts in their thinking, and decided that they suffered from
adrenaline addiction. So, I decided, I would rather not join the club.

I'm generally not attracted to activities that are so intolerant of
mistakes/failures. I prefer my adrenaline in somewhat safer, more
manageable doses...

Water skiing (self-stopping) vs hurtling 90+mph down a hill of
ice/snow with no brakes? Me, too. Fast driving and fast women are
more my speed. I vaguely remember the latter...

You must have watched the incredible videos of those rich kids jumping
out of helicopters with snow boards from the peaks of mountains?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pcCYfn66aE

SW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message

"ATP" wrote

I did 11, but it helped that was in a college skydiving club- $7 a jump,
pack your own modified military chute- it was fun, but short duration, I
like kiteboarding more.

We sat on the beach near Princetown, Kauai, and watched the kiteboarders
(is that the ocean surfing with a kite?), and it was purely awesome.
Those guys got some BIG air and LONG hang time.

Steve

Those guys are probably a lot better than me, but I have fun out there.
Last weekend was it for snowboarding, I'm ready to get back out on the
water.

The Kauai newspaper archives also has in its archives several reports of
kite surfers being killed. It does not go without its hazards. I have
given up my snow skis because of a broken back, knee problems, and
degenerative neck bone disease. It was a lot of fun, though. I went skiing
with a very pretty girl one time, and we took snowboarding lessons. I was
getting it right away, and digging it, but she was not falling every three
feet. I did not want to pay the price of skiing away from her, so we went
back and got some traditional skis .....................

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/15/2011 7:14 AM, Pete C. wrote:

I'm rather strange with heights, I like scaffolding, bucket trucks and
similar, but I'm not comfortable on tall ladders or hanging from a rope.
Skydiving didn't bother me.

I'm sorta OK if there's a railing or I'm sitting. Flying in a plane
doesn't bother me. Standing near a drop off, I get dizzy. Last trip down
under, visited the Three Sisters in Katoomba. There's a scenic viewing
area with a railing that slight overhangs the cliff. Looking over the
edge, wooo......

Worst one was in work experience at NASA Ames. There had been small holes
cut into the tubes that supported the 6 original motors of the 40x80 wind
tunnel, for instrumentation. I got to go with a couple journeymen to weld
patches over the holes. Don't know how high the top of the concrete
structure is, but I'd guess 4-5 stories at least. I crawled up to the edge
on my belly and peered over, managing to keep a handle on myself. Until
one of the journeymen walked up, hanging his toes over the edge and leaned
forward, saying "What's a matter, you afraid of heights?" I got so dizzy I
thought I was going to fall off despite being on my belly...

Jon

There was a special on TV on the Troll oilfield drilling platform in the
North Sea. This was built in port, then towed to location, and sunk to the
proper point. They had tours inside, and looking up through the hollow core
for 700 or 800 or 900 feet straight up was amazing. You could dope someone
and take them in there, and then when they woke up, tell them they were in a
space ship, and it would be just that believable. Cavernous. I'm a little
bit edgy about edges, too, if I am unsecured. But if tied off, I don't have
that fear.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 20:18:20 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 4/15/2011 2:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Water skiing (self-stopping) vs hurtling 90+mph down a hill of
ice/snow with no brakes? Me, too.

Self stopping? LOL! I was a self taught downhill skier, took me a lot of
mental effort to overcome my instinct to lean back.

One summer some friends took me water skiing for the first time. Didn't
get much instruction on what to do once up as they didn't expect me to
master that right off. But I popped right up first time.
I'm sorta leaning forward a bit, and thinking "something's not right
here..." as the line goes slack. An instant later, I'm looking at the
bottom of the lake in detail. Dazed, I roll over and look at the skis
floating above me, with the surface well above them. About then it hits
me I'm sorta in trouble. Was close enough to the bottom to push off, and
combined with my life vest, I just broke surface as the urge to breath
won out. Don't know how long I was under, but it was long enough to
scare the crap out of my friends.

Well, silly. -Most- people learn how to swim and float -before- they
try water skiing. Duh! ;^)

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 12:18:51 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 4/14/2011 6:56 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Tandem here, from 14,000'. Definitely spectacular and I doubt there is
much of anything else like it. Certainly something to be sure to try at
least once in your life.

Read once that only 2% of those that try skydiving ever make more than the
first jump. Thought if ever I was going to try it, I'd do 2 jumps just so
I could say I was in that 2%.
But given my fear of heights.... lol

Jon

The first jump is total fear and adrenaline. The next few have declining
fear and adrenaline. Once you get off static line (if you make that many
jumps), the real experience is experienced for the first time. Or at least
that was my experience. I have 44 sport jumps. Back in the sixties with
POS military surplus chutes. Never had a soft or stand up landing.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

12 for me.

Airborne!!

I live about a mile from a fairly popular skydiving club at the local
small airport and see 15-20 people hanging air all at one time
regularly.

They have some sort of big twin for a jump plane.

Ive thought about going back 35+ yrs later and jumping
again...but..after two back surgeries, 2 healed broken legs/knees..etc
etc etc...it might be fun..but the landing would likely be a bitch for
days afterwards

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is