Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Skydiving

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 4/15/2011 7:14 AM, Pete C. wrote:

I'm rather strange with heights, I like scaffolding, bucket trucks and
similar, but I'm not comfortable on tall ladders or hanging from a rope.
Skydiving didn't bother me.

I'm sorta OK if there's a railing or I'm sitting. Flying in a plane
doesn't bother me. Standing near a drop off, I get dizzy. Last trip down
under, visited the Three Sisters in Katoomba. There's a scenic viewing
area with a railing that slight overhangs the cliff. Looking over the
edge, wooo......

Worst one was in work experience at NASA Ames. There had been small holes
cut into the tubes that supported the 6 original motors of the 40x80 wind
tunnel, for instrumentation. I got to go with a couple journeymen to weld
patches over the holes. Don't know how high the top of the concrete
structure is, but I'd guess 4-5 stories at least. I crawled up to the edge
on my belly and peered over, managing to keep a handle on myself. Until
one of the journeymen walked up, hanging his toes over the edge and leaned
forward, saying "What's a matter, you afraid of heights?" I got so dizzy I
thought I was going to fall off despite being on my belly...

Jon

There was a special on TV on the Troll oilfield drilling platform in the
North Sea. This was built in port, then towed to location, and sunk to the
proper point. They had tours inside, and looking up through the hollow core
for 700 or 800 or 900 feet straight up was amazing. You could dope someone
and take them in there, and then when they woke up, tell them they were in a
space ship, and it would be just that believable. Cavernous. I'm a little
bit edgy about edges, too, if I am unsecured. But if tied off, I don't have
that fear.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com