Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Silk Screen source

I have a project that has been stuck for awhile now. Perhaps one of
you folks in this newsgroup has a source for a silk screen. I have
converted an Ohio Class battleship compass repeater from the original
syncro 70 volt drive to NMEA 0183. The new drive also suports a 10
degree inner wheel. I have made these cards from hardened
polycarbonate, but now I need to paint these with degree markings and
cardinal point graphics. I have created a data file of these images
using MS Visio. I now need some one to do the rest. Any help will be
appreciated.
Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 10:10:59 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 10:17:37 +0200, wrote:

I have a project that has been stuck for awhile now. Perhaps one of
you folks in this newsgroup has a source for a silk screen. I have
converted an Ohio Class battleship compass repeater from the original
syncro 70 volt drive to NMEA 0183. The new drive also suports a 10
degree inner wheel. I have made these cards from hardened
polycarbonate, but now I need to paint these with degree markings and
cardinal point graphics. I have created a data file of these images
using MS Visio. I now need some one to do the rest. Any help will be
appreciated.
Steve

If you're only making one to a few cards, and an engraved and
paint-filled part is OK, this place will be cheaper than silk
screening.
http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/index.html

If you've got your heart set on silk screen I can ask a friend who may
have the name of a reliable vendor. Or ask an art student -- there's a
photo to screen process that requires minimal equipment.

Thanks for the reply Ned. I don't think an engraved card will work.
The clear Lexan cards must be painted with a translucent white paint
first. Then a flat black paint (or Ink) be painted via the silk screen
leaving only the cardinal markings unpainted. In that way, the red
LEDs around the circumference and underneath the cards will be able to
illuminate the markings for night sailing.

If you can think of another way, I'm all ears.
Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Can you laser print onto transparency film and laminate that to your
Lexan? Otherwise it sounds like your best bet would be to visit a good
art supply store for a silk screen kit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 14:46:01 -0500, "Pete C."

wrote:

[...]

I have done that Pete and it looks like the decal it is. Worse, even
the supposedly translucent film is not translucent enough to properly
glow in the dark. On your other suggestion, the silk screen kit, I
have no clue what that is, but I'll Gookle it and see if it can work.
However, this artsy fartsy stuff is not my thing. Smart people know
what they're good at and what they are not. I would prefer to give
this to an expert to do, but I have had no luck finding one.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

skrev i en meddelelse
I have a project that has been stuck for awhile now. Perhaps one of
you folks in this newsgroup has a source for a silk screen. I have
converted an Ohio Class battleship compass repeater from the original
syncro 70 volt drive to NMEA 0183. The new drive also suports a 10
degree inner wheel. I have made these cards from hardened
polycarbonate, but now I need to paint these with degree markings and
cardinal point graphics. I have created a data file of these images
using MS Visio. I now need some one to do the rest. Any help will be
appreciated.

How about printing on a overhead transparant and then laminating it.
Self adhesive laminates are available.

--
Uffe Bærentsen

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I printed my CorelDraw output to clear mylar sheets and the tee
screening company made screens from them to make my Schnazzy line of
shirts.

While we're all off-topic, has anyone sold their domain for a good
profit? Any caveats?

Ned, the books arrived today. Thanks!

--
Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins
when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in