Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Turning shallow recess- Part 2

Here is what I did:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27683124@N07/5562240999/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...n/photostream/

In the end I did the whole think using a brazed carbide AR bit. I had
some issues with holding the 1/2" boring bars Jim W. suggested so I
thought I would stick with familiar implements.

The diameter is spot on 5.401" - a slip fit for a 5.400" face ring.

I shall try turning the ring in this contraption within the next few
days. When I have decided whether to go with superglue or double-sided
sticky tape :-)

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 26, 11:21*pm, wrote:
In the end I did the whole think using a brazed carbide AR bit. I had
some issues with holding the 1/2" boring bars Jim W. suggested so I
thought I would stick with familiar implements.
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Sorry, I thought the boring bar was your first choice.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 20:21:20 -0700, wrote:

Here is what I did:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27683124@N07/5562240999/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...n/photostream/

In the end I did the whole think using a brazed carbide AR bit. I had
some issues with holding the 1/2" boring bars Jim W. suggested so I
thought I would stick with familiar implements.

The diameter is spot on 5.401" - a slip fit for a 5.400" face ring.

I shall try turning the ring in this contraption within the next few
days. When I have decided whether to go with superglue or double-sided
sticky tape :-)

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Just make sure you pick something that stays stuck when it gets warm.

H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 26, 11:21*pm, wrote:
Here is what I did:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...n/photostream/
The diameter is spot on 5.401" - a slip fit for a 5.400" face ring.
Michael Koblic,

Did I ever mention this old 'pot' collet system?
http://media.photobucket.com/image/p...MG_0002-25.jpg
The black cup goes behind the collet body and wedges it closed when
the drawbar is tightened.

A front view:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/p...chine/pot2.jpg
The partial set I have came from a Rivett lathe.

You could fit the taper ring into your new faceplate. I think the
collet body really needs a stem extending back into the spindle to
keep it straight.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 07:13:11 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Mar 26, 11:21*pm, wrote:
Here is what I did:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...n/photostream/
The diameter is spot on 5.401" - a slip fit for a 5.400" face ring.
Michael Koblic,

Did I ever mention this old 'pot' collet system?
http://media.photobucket.com/image/p...MG_0002-25.jpg
The black cup goes behind the collet body and wedges it closed when
the drawbar is tightened.

A front view:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/p...chine/pot2.jpg
The partial set I have came from a Rivett lathe.

You could fit the taper ring into your new faceplate. I think the
collet body really needs a stem extending back into the spindle to
keep it straight.

I believe you did.

Re-the boring bar: I was simply contemplating what I had in the box.
Anyway - see part 3 :-)