Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to hold taps for CNC rigid tapping.

My CNC mill does rigid tapping and it is great and easy to do -- just
one "one liner" like this

G33.1 Z[-0.5] K[1/24]

would rigid tap a 24 TPI thread from the current point to the depth -0.5.

Easy and powerful.

It even works great with fine threads, but I have a problem with
coarse threads. I hold the taps in a Jacobs drill chuck. The chuck
cannot hold a coarse tap, like 1/4-20, the tap slips in the chuck. The
result, is holes that are partially tapped and a slipping tap. Not the
end of the world, but I want to do better.

What kind of tool holder should I use for this rigid tapping? Would
colleted tool holders help with this?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 23:03:37 -0600, Ignoramus25538
wrote:

My CNC mill does rigid tapping and it is great and easy to do -- just
one "one liner" like this

G33.1 Z[-0.5] K[1/24]

would rigid tap a 24 TPI thread from the current point to the depth -0.5.

Easy and powerful.

It even works great with fine threads, but I have a problem with
coarse threads. I hold the taps in a Jacobs drill chuck. The chuck
cannot hold a coarse tap, like 1/4-20, the tap slips in the chuck. The
result, is holes that are partially tapped and a slipping tap. Not the
end of the world, but I want to do better.

What kind of tool holder should I use for this rigid tapping? Would
colleted tool holders help with this?

A drill chuck is a REAL POOR choice. Slips easy and isn't on center. I
normally use my TG100 collet holder and the right diameter collet.
Tighten up real good. Slipping is a BAD thing.

Karl

P.S. Does your control have Q for peck tapping? Or R for start plane?
Is it modal so you can just enter points to tap after first command?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus25538" wrote in message
My CNC mill does rigid tapping and it is great and easy to do -- just
one "one liner" like this

G33.1 Z[-0.5] K[1/24]

would rigid tap a 24 TPI thread from the current point to the depth -0.5.

Easy and powerful.

It even works great with fine threads, but I have a problem with
coarse threads. I hold the taps in a Jacobs drill chuck. The chuck
cannot hold a coarse tap, like 1/4-20, the tap slips in the chuck. The
result, is holes that are partially tapped and a slipping tap. Not the
end of the world, but I want to do better.

What kind of tool holder should I use for this rigid tapping? Would
colleted tool holders help with this?

I grind 3 flats on the tap shank with a whirly-gig or collet block on the surface
grinder. Chucks suck for that job but the flats work and are free.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 13, 12:03*am, Ignoramus25538 ignoramus25...@NOSPAM.
25538.invalid wrote:
My CNC mill does rigid tapping and it is great and easy to do -- just
one "one liner" like this

* * G33.1 Z[-0.5] K[1/24]

would rigid tap a 24 TPI thread from the current point to the depth -0.5.

Easy and powerful.

It even works great with fine threads, but I have a problem with
coarse threads. I hold the taps in a Jacobs drill chuck. The chuck
cannot hold a coarse tap, like 1/4-20, the tap slips in the chuck. The
result, is holes that are partially tapped and a slipping tap. Not the
end of the world, but I want to do better.

What kind of tool holder should I use for this rigid tapping? Would
colleted tool holders help with this?

sharpen the tap
how?
on the inside edge of the flute, just a touch- make the cutting edge
(teeth) dead sharp again.
Its best to have a foot controler for your mounted dremel with a
larger dia. stone grinding wheel. Hold the tap with inside of flute
lined up with on the square edge (corner) of the (stopped) wheel, then
turn it on with your foot pedal.
Just a touch on all flutes- following the same shape the factory
inside angle, makes a B I G difference on used taps that like to slip
in drill chucks.
I use a thicker cut off wheel in a stationary mounted Du Moore.
A drill chuck with the jaws in *good* shape should have no problem
driving upto a 1/2 tap w/o slipping for general "g-job" use.
If it does slips or push up/ down in the chuck in a CNC, there may be
a timing issue with the axis/spindle synchronization.

--

~g~
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The idea thing to use is the TG100 collet holder with a tap collet.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My CNC mill does rigid tapping and it is great and easy to do -- just
one "one liner" like this

G33.1 Z[-0.5] K[1/24]

would rigid tap a 24 TPI thread from the current point to the depth -0.5.

Easy and powerful.

It even works great with fine threads, but I have a problem with
coarse threads. I hold the taps in a Jacobs drill chuck. The chuck
cannot hold a coarse tap, like 1/4-20, the tap slips in the chuck. The
result, is holes that are partially tapped and a slipping tap. Not the
end of the world, but I want to do better.

What kind of tool holder should I use for this rigid tapping? Would
colleted tool holders help with this?

Setting aside the question of the best way to hold the tap, if a
1/4-20 tap slips in the chuck when tapping ordinary materials, there's
something wrong with the tap, the chuck, or the tapping operation.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I think thats what I "tried" to say
sharpen tap
good chuck
or screwed up machine

--
~g~
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

*wrote:

[...]

ER tap driver collets have squares in the back to grip the the tap -
thus:
the no spin zone
the broken tap starts here

--
~g~

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cncmillgil wrote:
wrote:

[...]

So do the TG series

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 12:58:15 -0400, john
wrote:

The idea thing to use is the TG100 collet holder with a tap collet.

John

======
see
http://www.widia.com/e-catalog/Produ...y%3A6283&logo=
http://www.kennametal.com/e-catalog/...y%3A6283&logo=

all it takes is money...
-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My CNC mill does rigid tapping and it is great and easy to do -- just
one "one liner" like this

G33.1 Z[-0.5] K[1/24]

would rigid tap a 24 TPI thread from the current point to the depth -0.5.

Easy and powerful.

It even works great with fine threads, but I have a problem with
coarse threads. I hold the taps in a Jacobs drill chuck. The chuck
cannot hold a coarse tap, like 1/4-20, the tap slips in the chuck. The
result, is holes that are partially tapped and a slipping tap. Not the
end of the world, but I want to do better.

What kind of tool holder should I use for this rigid tapping? Would
colleted tool holders help with this?

A drill chuck is a REAL POOR choice. Slips easy and isn't on center. I
normally use my TG100 collet holder and the right diameter collet.
Tighten up real good. Slipping is a BAD thing.

Karl, what about ER type collets?

P.S. Does your control have Q for peck tapping? Or R for start plane?
Is it modal so you can just enter points to tap after first command?

I know that RT uses index pulse to re-enter previously tapped
holes. That should do what you are talking about.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-13, Ignoramus25538 wrote:
My CNC mill does rigid tapping and it is great and easy to do -- just
one "one liner" like this

G33.1 Z[-0.5] K[1/24]

would rigid tap a 24 TPI thread from the current point to the depth -0.5.

Easy and powerful.

It even works great with fine threads, but I have a problem with
coarse threads. I hold the taps in a Jacobs drill chuck. The chuck
cannot hold a coarse tap, like 1/4-20, the tap slips in the chuck. The
result, is holes that are partially tapped and a slipping tap. Not the
end of the world, but I want to do better.

What kind of tool holder should I use for this rigid tapping? Would
colleted tool holders help with this?

Not sure with a mill and rigid tapping, but the chucks on the
TapMatic tapping heads have a combination of a Jacobs Rubberflex collet
to hold the tap on center, and a pair of steel plates in the back of the
collet which are tightened down on the square end of the shank to keep
it from slipping in the collet. The two plates are joined by a setscrew
which is tapped left-hand on one end, and right hand on the other end,
so it retains centering as it closes.

Places like MSC sell the tap collet as a separate item, and you
might purchase that.

Hmm ... I don't find them with a quick search -- discontinued?
If so -- what will TapMatic use in the future?

On eBay -- here is an example -- but the price is scary:

# 130496833235

What would be really nice to have would be this mounted on a NMTB-30
taper toolholder.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My CNC mill does rigid tapping and it is great and easy to do -- just
one "one liner" like this

G33.1 Z[-0.5] K[1/24]

would rigid tap a 24 TPI thread from the current point to the depth -0.5.

Easy and powerful.

[ ... ]

What kind of tool holder should I use for this rigid tapping? Would
colleted tool holders help with this?

A drill chuck is a REAL POOR choice. Slips easy and isn't on center. I
normally use my TG100 collet holder and the right diameter collet.
Tighten up real good. Slipping is a BAD thing.

Note that there are special chucks from Albrecht which have
diamond grit faced chuck jaws -- but you would want that on a NMTB-30
mount, and to have the version which can be locked, or it will let go as
soon as you start to back the tap back out.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The idea thing to use is the TG100 collet holder with a tap collet.

John

======
see
http://www.widia.com/e-catalog/Produ...y%3A6283&logo=
http://www.kennametal.com/e-catalog/...y%3A6283&logo=

A set would probably cost me more than the whole milling machine!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Should work just as well. However you do it, a complete set of collets
is real handy.

P.S. Does your control have Q for peck tapping? Or R for start plane?
Is it modal so you can just enter points to tap after first command?

I know that RT uses index pulse to re-enter previously tapped
holes. That should do what you are talking about.

If you do much tapping, you'll long for these enhancements.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

For manually tapping with my benchtop drillpress (up to 3/8") I've ground
flats on a set of taps with a die grinder.. not exactly accurate, but close
enough to be reliable (still rotating, not orbiting the center axis of the
spindle.

Chucks aren't much good for holding taps, IME, except for small taps held in
a portable drill for tapping in relatively thin materials (electrical panel
mounting plates, etc).
These methods are definitely not accurate enough for a rigid CNC machine, or
any rigid machine/power tapping method without a tapping head or similar
accessory.

It shouldn't be extremely difficult to modify some collets to engage the
square tang at the back end of taps, by adapting them with some fairly
readily available round items that have fairly-well-centered square holes in
them.. square drive sockets come to mind, for 1/4, 3/8 + 1/2" square holes.

Other metal parts that have square holes that I've seen, are some plumbing
fixture parts.. there are likely more, if one looks around thru junk
drawers.

The inside surfaces of collets aren't generally precision ground, but are
likely to be close to concentric with the outside surfaces, so adapting a
collet with a part which has a square hole shouldn't be difficult for anyone
with a lathe.

The center piece could possibly be pinned, pressed, TIG'ed or secured by
some other means to keep it from rotating.

The holes in the part to adapt to the square tap tang wouldn't have to be
square (if you can't drill square holes).. it could be a slot that engages
two sides of the tang, since the collet would provide the proper centerline
alignment.

How hard could it be? (Top Gear)

--
WB

"Ignoramus25538" wrote in message
My CNC mill does rigid tapping and it is great and easy to do -- just
one "one liner" like this

G33.1 Z[-0.5] K[1/24]

would rigid tap a 24 TPI thread from the current point to the depth -0.5.

Easy and powerful.

It even works great with fine threads, but I have a problem with
coarse threads. I hold the taps in a Jacobs drill chuck. The chuck
cannot hold a coarse tap, like 1/4-20, the tap slips in the chuck. The
result, is holes that are partially tapped and a slipping tap. Not the
end of the world, but I want to do better.

What kind of tool holder should I use for this rigid tapping? Would
colleted tool holders help with this?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I will try to get or make up a set. I have quite a few ER-16
collets. I also have a floating tap holder, which I do not really
need, but it is nice to use as a belt and suspenders approach.

P.S. Does your control have Q for peck tapping? Or R for start plane?
Is it modal so you can just enter points to tap after first command?

I know that RT uses index pulse to re-enter previously tapped
holes. That should do what you are talking about.

If you do much tapping, you'll long for these enhancements.

I can write a peck tappign routine, it is not a big deal. What is that
R plane?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Used in drill and tap cycles, it is the Z level to start the cycle at.
Lets you rapid above the part, then call your drill/tap cycle. The
machine will then rapid down to the R level. You need these to be
modal to help out. For example, drill six holes 1" deep and 1" apart
starting at Z-1 ending at Z -2 and rapid traverse at Z 0.5

G0 Z.5
G81 X1 Y1 Z-2 R-1 F4
X2
X3
X4
X5

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

This is really advanced, as far as I am concerned.

I will read up on this. I am just learning the basics.

Thanks, that was enlightening.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you are doing blind hole tapping make sure you use a spiral flute tap
that throws the chips out the back of the tap and they don't get recut
and packed in at the bottom of the hole.

John