Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to hold taps for CNC rigid tapping.

My CNC mill does rigid tapping and it is great and easy to do -- just
one "one liner" like this

G33.1 Z[-0.5] K[1/24]

would rigid tap a 24 TPI thread from the current point to the depth -0.5.

Easy and powerful.

It even works great with fine threads, but I have a problem with
coarse threads. I hold the taps in a Jacobs drill chuck. The chuck
cannot hold a coarse tap, like 1/4-20, the tap slips in the chuck. The
result, is holes that are partially tapped and a slipping tap. Not the
end of the world, but I want to do better.

What kind of tool holder should I use for this rigid tapping? Would
colleted tool holders help with this?