Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to move a barn!

How would you move a large barn?
Check out these guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83W0gj_CRE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phil Kangas wrote:
How would you move a large barn?
Check out these guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83W0gj_CRE

That's more impressive that weird trucks and hydraulic jacks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phil Kangas wrote:
How would you move a large barn?

If you were going to do that and needed to know how many people you
would need to lift it, how would you determine its weight?

You could measure its pieces & add it up. E.g., so many square feet of
roofing shingles, of siding, of sheathing, linear feet of studs, of
each different size beam, etc, etc.

But that's not clever enough by far. Let's see: you could put, say, 10
sheets of plywood under it, spaced around it, and air bags under the
plywood. Then 17000/(10 * 32 sq ft * 144 sq in/sq ft) = .37 psi.
Measure the psi in each bag & add it up. But that's a lot of air bags
(expensive). And each sheet of plywood would have to support 1700 lbs,
which probably means a need for stiffening structure.

You could use 1 sheet of plywood & 1 air bag and move them around, but
how would you know when the air pressure is enough, but not too much?

Load cells? Expensive.

What else? A really long, really stiff lever, and a pivot to put it on.

????

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 12:38:30 -0500, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

How would you move a large barn?
Check out these guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83W0gj_CRE

That is downright inspiring!

17,000 lb, 334 lifters = less than 50 lb per lifter on average. Gives
real meaning to the old saw "many hands make light work".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:
On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 12:38:30 -0500, "Phil Kangas"

How would you move a large barn?
Check out these guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83W0gj_CRE

That is downright inspiring!

17,000 lb, 334 lifters = less than 50 lb per lifter on average. Gives
real meaning to the old saw "many hands make light work".

If a man can build a garage in 60 days, can 60 men build a garage in a
day? ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 17:35:32 -0500, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

What else? A really long, really stiff lever, and a pivot to put it on.

Two pivots and 'walk' it the distance between the two pivots each revolution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7q20VzwVs
Skip to the two minute mark to see the poll barn being moved.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 12:38:30 -0500, "Phil Kangas"

How would you move a large barn?
Check out these guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83W0gj_CRE

That is downright inspiring!

17,000 lb, 334 lifters = less than 50 lb per lifter on average. Gives
real meaning to the old saw "many hands make light work".

If a man can build a garage in 60 days, can 60 men build a garage in a
day? ;-)

If it takes one man 60 days to build a garage, he needs some remedial
construction classes. Building an average two car free standing garage
solo should not take more than a week of full days of work.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:
On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 12:38:30 -0500, "Phil Kangas"

How would you move a large barn?
Check out these guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83W0gj_CRE

That is downright inspiring!

17,000 lb, 334 lifters = less than 50 lb per lifter on average. Gives
real meaning to the old saw "many hands make light work".

If a man can build a garage in 60 days, can 60 men build a garage in a
day? ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

And put 9 women at it and have a baby in one month.

Lets see that guy do it with a "PA bank barn". :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message
How would you move a large barn?
Check out these guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83W0gj_CRE

All I get is a black screen with a small pattern in the center like it's

SteveB

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:
On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 12:38:30 -0500, "Phil Kangas"

How would you move a large barn?
Check out these guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83W0gj_CRE

That is downright inspiring!

17,000 lb, 334 lifters = less than 50 lb per lifter on average. Gives
real meaning to the old saw "many hands make light work".

If a man can build a garage in 60 days, can 60 men build a garage in a
day? ;-)

If it takes one man 60 days to build a garage, he needs some remedial
construction classes. Building an average two car free standing garage
solo should not take more than a week of full days of work.

Okay, seven then. Can seven men throw one up in a day?

Hmm. They probably could. ;-)

Maybe this is a bad example anyway - it comes from the phenomenon of
throwing programmers at a problem to try to get it solved quicker -
"You can't get a baby in a month by impregnating nine women!"

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise fired this volley in news:il10k1
:

Okay, seven then. Can seven men throw one up in a day?

Hmm. They probably could. ;-)

Not to beat a silly horse, but the Amish can put up a barn of arbitrary
size in a day. It has to do more with available hands and organization
of labor than with the specific workload.

And, for what it's worth, they call it "a frolic".

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Well, you do increase your odds of getting a baby under construction by
a factor of 9X...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Rich Grise fired this volley in news:il10k1

Okay, seven then. Can seven men throw one up in a day?

Hmm. They probably could. ;-)

Not to beat a silly horse, but the Amish can put up a barn of arbitrary
size in a day. It has to do more with available hands and organization
of labor than with the specific workload.

And, for what it's worth, they call it "a frolic".

Gives new meaning to the term, "raise the roof!" ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

I know someone who wanted a cardigan quickly, he farmed out various
bits of knitting out to various females and got one to put it all
together.(it worked sort of).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 14:06:42 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:
On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 12:38:30 -0500, "Phil Kangas"

How would you move a large barn?
Check out these guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83W0gj_CRE

That is downright inspiring!

17,000 lb, 334 lifters = less than 50 lb per lifter on average. Gives
real meaning to the old saw "many hands make light work".

If a man can build a garage in 60 days, can 60 men build a garage in a
day? ;-)

If it takes one man 60 days to build a garage, he needs some remedial
construction classes. Building an average two car free standing garage
solo should not take more than a week of full days of work.

Okay, seven then. Can seven men throw one up in a day?

If 24 guys poured the slab, would it reach full cure strength in a
day?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes, if they work together. OTOH, if they are
union..... well, maybe not.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rich Grise" wrote in message

If a man can build a garage in 60 days, can 60 men
build a garage in a day? ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sorry your machine doesn't want to play that video. Worked,
here.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message
How would you move a large barn?
Check out these guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83W0gj_CRE

All I get is a black screen with a small pattern in the
center like it's

SteveB

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:
On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 12:38:30 -0500, "Phil Kangas"

How would you move a large barn?
Check out these guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83W0gj_CRE

That is downright inspiring!

17,000 lb, 334 lifters = less than 50 lb per lifter on average. Gives
real meaning to the old saw "many hands make light work".

If a man can build a garage in 60 days, can 60 men build a garage in a
day? ;-)

If it takes one man 60 days to build a garage, he needs some remedial
construction classes. Building an average two car free standing garage
solo should not take more than a week of full days of work.

Okay, seven then. Can seven men throw one up in a day?

If 24 guys poured the slab, would it reach full cure strength in a
day?

No, but it only takes a couple days to reach sufficient strength to
continue construction. This is a garage we're talking about, not a
skyscraper, so 28 day compressive strength is not an issue. While the
slab is curing, it is entirely possible to continue framing out the
walls of such a garage so that can be tipped up and secured when the
concrete has sufficiently set. A week is very feasible.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

F Murtz wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

Okay, seven then. Can seven men throw one up in a day?

Hmm. They probably could. ;-)

Maybe this is a bad example anyway - it comes from the phenomenon of
throwing programmers at a problem to try to get it solved quicker -
"You can't get a baby in a month by impregnating nine women!"

I know someone who wanted a cardigan quickly, he farmed out various
bits of knitting out to various females and got one to put it all
together.(it worked sort of).

Reminds me of that episode of "Becker," where the Margaret shows up
wearing a thing knitted by her drunkard husband - Linda remarked (on
the phone to her friend) "it looks like somebody ate a box of crayons
and threw up a sweater!"

;-)
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:
On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 14:06:42 -0800, Rich Grise

Okay, seven then. Can seven men throw one up in a day?

If 24 guys poured the slab, would it reach full cure strength in a
day?

No, but it only takes a couple days to reach sufficient strength to
continue construction. This is a garage we're talking about, not a
skyscraper, so 28 day compressive strength is not an issue. While the
slab is curing, it is entirely possible to continue framing out the
walls of such a garage so that can be tipped up and secured when the
concrete has sufficiently set. A week is very feasible.

OK, I've got it. If one man can dig a 6 foot hole in a day, could
1,000 men working together dig a 6,000 foot hole in a day? ;-D

(or at all?)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 13:45:14 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:
On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 14:06:42 -0800, Rich Grise

Okay, seven then. Can seven men throw one up in a day?

If 24 guys poured the slab, would it reach full cure strength in a
day?

No, but it only takes a couple days to reach sufficient strength to
continue construction. This is a garage we're talking about, not a
skyscraper, so 28 day compressive strength is not an issue. While the
slab is curing, it is entirely possible to continue framing out the
walls of such a garage so that can be tipped up and secured when the
concrete has sufficiently set. A week is very feasible.

OK, I've got it. If one man can dig a 6 foot hole in a day, could
1,000 men working together dig a 6,000 foot hole in a day? ;-D

(or at all?)

That reminded me of the Eyetalyun ho joke.
--snip--
Three nuns die and go to heaven. They are met at the pearly gates by
St. Peter, who tells them they led such good lives they will be
permitted to return to earth as anyone they want.

The first nun thinks it over and says "I'd like to return as Sophia
Loren."

St. Peter says "Fine, you can return as Sophia Loren."

The second nun thinks and says "I'd like to be Gina Lollobrigida."

St. Peter says "No problem, you can return as Gina Lollobrigida."

The third nun says "I think I'd like to be Virginia Pipeline."
(pronounce it "PippaLini")

St. Peter says, "Hmmm, I don't think I know of anyone named Virginia
Pipeline?"

At which point the third nun shows him the headline from the morning
paper: "Virginia Pipeline Laid by 2500 Men"
--snip--

--
Life is full of obstacle illusions.
-- Grant Frazier
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques"

At which point the third nun shows him the
headline from the morning
paper: "Virginia Pipeline Laid by 2500 Men"

ooohh, good one... heh heh... talk about
frustration caused
by deprivation.... ;)}

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If the barn wasn't cooked properly, they might all throw up.
Salmonella, of course.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

BIG BARN lance Home Repair 2 October 19th 07 02:18 AM
BIG BARN lance Home Repair 4 October 19th 07 02:18 AM
Barn Lumber WConner Woodworking 14 August 18th 06 04:56 PM
BUG BARN J T Woodworking 0 November 13th 05 01:42 AM
Dismantlingrecycling old barn srazor Woodworking 0 August 17th 04 07:50 PM