Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The Intention Experiment

The Intention Experiment: Using Your Thoughts to Change Your Life and
the World by Lynne McTaggart (c) 2007, 2008

If the boundaries between philosophy and science don't interest
you, don't read this book. Matter of fact, you most likely won't
want to read this thread...

Experiment after experiment and study after study show the improbable
(some would even say impossible) actually occurring, and when
correlations are available, explanations (or speculations) about WHY
certain things might happen.

If you continue, you'll find bullet points on each chapter with the
occasional paragraph quoted here and there. I may even throw some of
my own commentary in once in a while... though I'll try not to. ;-)

Science is a method whereby our curiosity of the universe evolves.
Religion is a method which allows our view of the universe to remain
stable.
People who need explanations tend toward the former while people who
need stability tend toward the latter. Oops. Already slipping.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chapter 1 - Mutable Matter

Mutable Matter

* Quantum entanglement is well known between subatomic particles but is
not limited to the subatomic world. It's been demonstrated with atoms
themselves... with matter large enough to hold in your hand. Matter can
be affected by nonlocal influence.

* Speed of light is not the limit of nonlocality phenomenon.

* Nearly all quantum interactions produce entanglement.

* At absolute zero, where all movement should stop, and energy should
not exist, it does. Described as Zero Point Energy, or the Zero Point
Field. This energy exceeds the amount of energy in matter by a factor
of 10^40. The amount of energy in one cubic meter of space is enough to
boil all the oceans of the world.

* Zero Point energy is responsible for inertia and gravity.

* Interferometer experiments show that particles of matter also exhibit
wave behavior, as photons do, passing through both slits simultaneously.

"But to me, Ghosh's research, and Zeilinger's work on the double-slit
experiment represent two defining moments in modern physics. Ghoshi's
experiments show that an invisible connection exists between the
fundamental elements of matter, which is often so strong that it can
override classical methods of influence, such as heat or a push.
Zeilinger's work demonstrated something even more astonishing. Large
matter was neither something solid and stable nor something that
necessarily behaved according to Newtonian rules. Molecules needed some
other influence to settle them into a completed state of being."

"Theirs was the first evidence that the peculiar properties of quantum
physics occur not simply at the quantum level with subatomic particles,
but also in the world of visible matter. Molecules also exist in a
state of pure potential, not a final actuality..."

If you're not aware of the weirdness of interferometers, here's a
pretty good demonstration of the "traditional" explanation:
http://www.whatthebleep.com/trailer/DSDUQT.mov (9 MB)
http://www.whatthebleep.com/trailer/DS_lg.wmv (27 MB)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh, that makes me wonder. Am I a wave, or a particle? I need
to know! I'm all aquiver!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Ackman" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Oh, that makes me wonder. Am I a wave, or a particle? I need
to know! I'm all aquiver!

--
Christopher A. Young

If you're quivering , you're a particle .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 24, 4:56*pm, "Snag" wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Oh, that makes me wonder. Am I a wave, or a particle? I need
to know! I'm all aquiver!

--
Christopher A. Young

If you're quivering , you're a particle .
* --
Snag

However if you oscillate you are a wave.

If you're unsure you vacillate.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chapter 2 - The Human Antenna

The Human Antenna

* EEG shows an effect when healers send healing energy.

* Directed thoughts produce physical energy even over distance.

* Energy created by directed thought produces changes in water similar
to that produced by magnets.

* Meditation produced changes in water of the absorbance of certain
wavelengths of light.

* Healers exhibit electrostatic and magnetic phenomenon during healing,
but the healing energy is neither.

* All living things emit highly coherent photons, "biophoton emissions."

* Healers also have stronger biophoton emissions during healing
sessions, among the most organized light waves found in nature.

"... Directed intention appears to manifest itself as both electrical
and magnetic energy and to produce an ordered stream of photons, visible
and measurable... like a laser light..."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 24, 6:31*pm, Steve Ackman
wrote:
The Human Antenna
* All living things emit highly coherent photons, "biophoton emissions."

I thought I had discovered something like this when I left the
shielding off a femtoammeter I had built and found it could detect the
presence of some people at over 20', though not me sitting still in
front of it.

Apparently the field they projected came from the plasma discharge
current in the fluorescent lights and varied with the capacitance of
their shoe soles, mine being thick foam rubber. The meter rejected
power line harmonics but not the unrelated frequency of walking.

The strongest source was a rather large woman who perspired in her
sensible black leather soled shoes. She was not a particularly willing
subject for experimentation, so I programmed the machine to quietly
record the signal level, and when unattended to greet anyone who
approached.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/24/2011 2:10 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

However if you oscillate you are a wave.

If you're unsure you vacillate.

Oh that's a good one!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:15:26 -0700, Steve Ackman
wrote:

[...]

I see that you dusted the mothballs off your book.

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 02/24/2011 03:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Oh, that makes me wonder. Am I a wave, or a particle? I need
to know! I'm all aquiver!

I'm awash with anticipation of the answer.

technomaNge

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Oh, that makes me wonder. Am I a wave, or a particle? I need
to know! I'm all aquiver!

--
Christopher A. Young

If you're quivering , you're a particle .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

He could just be oscillating...

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 25, 12:33 am, Steve Ackman
wrote:
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:05:14 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins, wrote:

I thought I had discovered something like this when I left the
shielding off a femtoammeter I had built and found it could detect the
presence of some people at over 20', though not me sitting still in
front of it.

Well, no wonder. If I had an "I am femto" meter, it
wouldn't detect me either! ;-)

My feet were on the footrail of the lab stool rather than the concrete
floor. It was meant to be a picoammeter but worked better than
expected. We made Analog Devices' production test equipment and they
sent us their best selected parts in return:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data.../147471_DS.pdf

Apparently the field they projected came from the plasma discharge
current in the fluorescent lights and varied with the capacitance of
their shoe soles, mine being thick foam rubber. The meter rejected
power line harmonics but not the unrelated frequency of walking.

Bet that had you scratching your head for at least a
few minutes.

The noise level bounced in sync with their footsteps. You see the
ceiling light signal when you touch a scope probe tip.

All sorts of stray signals appear when measuring tiny voltages and
currents. The worst puzzler turned out to be microphonics in the
instrument side panels caused by the ultrasonic intruder alarm system
we didn't even know we had. It was well above the circuit's frequency
response and caused a slowly varying offset in op amps, as did a local
AM radio station. I cross-creased the panels to stiffen them and it
went away.

The point is that "bioemissions" can really be other things. The
ultrasonic alarm interference changed as people moved around.

The strongest source was a rather large woman who perspired in her
sensible black leather soled shoes. She was not a particularly willing
subject for experimentation, so I programmed the machine to quietly
record the signal level, and when unattended to greet anyone who
approached.

Greeting based on signal strength?

"Hi Jane, lovely shoes you're wearing today."
"Hey John, where'd you get those loafers?"
"Hey Jim, are you there? I can't quite see you."

It was generic, testing would have revealed the joke. I was trying to
keep up with the other engineers' pranks, one had written The Grinch
That Eats Programs which randomly blanked the characters on your
terminal. His second version made them fall to the bottom of the
screen instead. Another's screen would flash "THE END IS NEAR!" in big
letters as the screensaver. A frustrated programmer put the sarcastic
software manager's home phone number in the last step of the
troubleshooting tree, and these semiconductor testing machines went to
distant time zones. Those were the clean ones.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh, thanks, I'm a .....

(don't you hate particle answers? I know I.....)
waves hi

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Snag" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Oh, that makes me wonder. Am I a wave, or a particle? I
need
to know! I'm all aquiver!

--
Christopher A. Young

If you're quivering , you're a particle .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm particle to that idea.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

However if you oscillate you are a wave.

If you're unsure you vacillate.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yeah, that's a good one. I mean, that's a bad one. I mean,
that's a good one.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 2/24/2011 2:10 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

However if you oscillate you are a wave.

If you're unsure you vacillate.

Oh that's a good one!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think I'm particle to being a piece of material. Does that
matter?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"technomaNge" wrote in message
On 02/24/2011 03:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Oh, that makes me wonder. Am I a wave, or a particle? I
need
to know! I'm all aquiver!

I'm awash with anticipation of the answer.

technomaNge

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'll be on the front porch swing while you guys decide if
I'm vascillating.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
news Snag wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Oh, that makes me wonder. Am I a wave, or a particle? I
need
to know! I'm all aquiver!

--
Christopher A. Young

If you're quivering , you're a particle .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

He could just be oscillating...

--

Richard Lamb
email me:
web site:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chapter 3 - The Two-Way Street

The Two-Way Street

* plants respond to a person's thoughts

"... it was obvious to [Backster] that he needed to pose an immediate
and genuine threat; he would get a match and burn the eletroded leaf."
"At the very moment he had that thought, the recording pen swung to
the top of the polygraph chart and nearly jumped off. He had not burned
the leaf; he had only _thought_ about doing so..."

* plants register the violent deaths of brine shrimp and even bacteria

* cells removed from the human body react in concert with the host

* plants become acclimated to threatening thoughts. They "learn" not to
react after multiple threatening thoughts are not carried out.

* biophoton emissions are used for communication

* healers' intention can affect leaves' biophoton emissions.

"Some forty years after Backster first employed his crude polygraph
mechanism to register the effects of thoughts, Korotkov verified those
early discoveries with state-of-the-art equipment. He hooked up a
potted plant to his GDV machine and asked his researchers to think of
different emotions -- anger, sadness, joy -- and then positive and
negative intentions toward the plant. Whenever a participant mentally
threatened the plant, its energy field diminished. The opposite
occurred if people approached the plant with water or feelings of love."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 22:39:05 -0700, Steve Ackman
17:05:06 -0800, Larry Jaques, wrote:

I see that you dusted the mothballs off your book.

If I _dusted_ some napthalene off the book, it
probably wouldn't have been in the form of balls,
would it?

OHHH! Moth balls. Got it. ;-)
But... how on earth would moth balls have ever gotten
on the book to begin with?

Yeah, yeah, I know. Damn literalists.

sigh You use paradichlorobenzene mothballs for books.

Sigh yourself.

"Naphthalene, also known as naphthalin, bicyclo[4.4.0]deca-1,3,5,7,9-pentene
or antimite is a crystalline, aromatic, white, solid hydrocarbon with
formula C10H8 and the structure of two fused benzene rings. It is best
known as the traditional, primary ingredient of mothballs."
^^^^^^^^^^ - emphasis mine
---
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphthalene

But in HS. chem. class, we did experiments with:

"1,4-Dichlorobenzene (para-dichlorobenzene, p-DCB, PDB) is an organic
compound with the formula C6H4Cl2. This colorless solid has a strong odor.
It consists of two chlorine atoms substituted at opposing sites on a
benzene ring. p-DCB is used a pesticide and a deodorant, most familiarly in
mothballs in which it is a replacement for the more traditional
naphthalene.[1]"
^^^^^^^^^^^ - emphasis mine
--- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,4-Dichlorobenzene

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 25, 12:01*pm, Steve Ackman
wrote:
The Two-Way Street
....Whenever a participant mentally
threatened the plant, its energy field diminished. *The opposite
occurred if people approached the plant with water or feelings of love."

I showed how approaching the plant could increase the signal whether
thinking about love or lunch. My limited contact with psychics,
Wiccans and earth mother types (at rural NH Mensa parties etc)
suggests that they question only that which doesn't support whatever
they want to believe. Usually I look sympathetic and try to get the
full story out of them.

I take Houdini's approach to paranormal phenomena, not denying
anything but looking very hard at the evidence for intentional or
inadvertent errors.

In this case I'd be monitoring the plant with a gas chromatograph
rather than a lie detector.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

?There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof
against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting
ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation.?
--- Herbert Spencer

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In , on
Fri, 25 Feb 2011 16:54:16 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins, wrote:

I showed how approaching the plant could increase the signal whether
thinking about love or lunch.

[restored text]
"... it was obvious to [Backster] that he needed to pose an immediate
and genuine threat; he would get a match and burn the eletroded leaf."
"At the very moment he had that thought, the recording pen swung to
the top of the polygraph chart and nearly jumped off. He had not burned
the leaf; he had only _thought_ about doing so..."

1) There was no mention of "approaching."
2) Think of water. No reaction. Then, think of a match
under the leaf. Massive reaction. This was the reported
result of the "lie detector."
3) There was of course much follow-up with controls
and rigorous prevention of confounding factors.
4) I can't believe you try to infer the entire scope
of the experiment or the methodology from such a tiny
excerpt. If you want that, you'll have to get the book
and/or do some googling.
5) I'd like to see your results on such an experiment.
The rest of us would still have to take your results
on faith, but at least YOU would have something more
than the mere word of earth mother scientists.

In this case I'd be monitoring the plant with a gas chromatograph
rather than a lie detector.

The part you snipped and replied to was clearly not
about a lie detector, but 40 years later with a GDV.
Did Houdini have anything to say about disingenuousness?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:01:35 -0700, Steve Ackman
wrote:

[...]

I was watching some Native American Medicine videos today (via
Netflix) and picked up this same concept there. Google "Kirlian
photography" for proof of the human/plant interaction phenomenon.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 15:29:33 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Didn't. "Clothes moths can be a real problem in clothes made from
natural fibers (especially wool). There are two different types of
moth balls used to combat the moths. In one type, the main ingredient
is naphthalene, and in the other it is paradichlorobenzene."
http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/question210.htm

AND, ya techie SOB, you missed the hoomer of it all.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Didn't. "Clothes moths can be a real problem in clothes made from
natural fibers (especially wool). There are two different types of
moth balls used to combat the moths. In one type, the main ingredient
is naphthalene, and in the other it is paradichlorobenzene."
http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/question210.htm

Isn't that what I just said?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 26, 1:38*am, Steve Ackman
wrote:

wrote:
He hooked up a potted plant to his GDV machine

I was watching some Native American Medicine videos today (via
Netflix)

* How were they? *I put "Native American" in the search
and the first two that pop up are NA Medicine and
NA Healing in the 21st Century. *I assume one or both
of those are what you're talking about?

and picked up this same concept there. Google "Kirlian
photography" for proof of the human/plant interaction phenomenon.

* Look up GDV in wikipedia and see what it redirects
to. *;-)

Gas discharge visualization?

This is the instrument to investigate it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_chr...s_spectrometry

I know what you are talking about because I've used similar methods to
find a simple way to distinguish good and bad integrated circuits. In
that case we can tell them what to 'think' and then look at the
patterns of electromagnetic and infrared emissions they produce. The
extremely sensitive current meter was part of such an instrument, like
a million-dollar lie detector.

However the language of plants is proteins, polysaccharides,
porphyrins etc; biochemical rather than electrical. I think that
looking at more easily and cheaply measured but less relevant gross
external phenomena is like investigating human behavior from the sound
of street traffic.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

He hooked up a potted plant to his GDV machine

I was watching some Native American Medicine videos today (via
Netflix)

How were they? I put "Native American" in the search
and the first two that pop up are NA Medicine and
NA Healing in the 21st Century. I assume one or both
of those are what you're talking about?

So-so. What they had to say was better than the way they said/showed
it. One felt a bit too much like an ad for an Austrian journalist's
program "All if Made Beautiful", butcha get this keen companion guide.
The other, Native American Medicine with David Broscome, gave some
interesting uses for herbs and showed the facets of setting up a
vision quest lodge. The music in this one was loud and NewAge, very
inappropriately teched.

and picked up this same concept there. Google "Kirlian
photography" for proof of the human/plant interaction phenomenon.

Look up GDV in wikipedia and see what it redirects
to. ;-)

See? Toldja so. I'd like to see Prez Barry's kirlian photo. I
really and truly would. Someone, please offer to take Congress'
individual photos with one, eh? They might be a much better winnower
than mere voting.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chapter 4 - Hearts That Beat as One

Hearts That Beat as One

* Brain wave synchrony: Stimuli to the sender results in synchronized brain
waves of the isolated receiver (this only worked after the pair had
meditated together for 20 minutes).

* Entrainment occurs in brainwaves between QiGong masters and their
students during tohate

* Certain stimuli register in the heart before they register in the brain.
Heart and brain became entrained with each other earlier and more
frequently in women than in men.

* Other types of stimuli register in the gut first.

* Husband/wife/cancer study. "All three groups had shown an effect. In
every instance, each physiological response of the receivers had tracked
those of the senders. However, the most prolonged pattern occurred
among the cancer patients whose partners had been trained in
compassionate intention. The receivers in the training group not only
responded to the stimulus, but also kept responding over 8 of the 10
seconds of the intension."

Here's the study from a different vantage point:
http://blog.beliefnet.com/crunchycon...e-healing.html

AIDS patients (Love Study)

"Targ began her career as a mainstream psychiatrist, but made her name
in 1999 with two remarkable studies at California Pacific Medical Center
(CPMC) in San Fransisco, which tested the possibility of remote healing
with end-stage AIDS patients. Targ spent months designing her trial.
She and her partner, psychologist and retired hospital administrator
Fred Sicher, sought out a homogenous group of advanced AIDS patients
with the same degree of illness, including the same T-cell counts and
number of AIDS-defining illnesses. Because they wished to test the
effect of distant healing, and not any particular healing modality, they
decided to recruit highly experienced, successful healers from diverse
backgrounds who might represent an array of approaches.

"Targ and Sicher gathered together an eclectic mix of healers from all
across America -- from orthodox Christians to Native American shamans --
and asked them to send healing thoughts to a group of AIDS patients
under strict double-blind conditions. All healing was to be done
remotely so that nothing, such as the presence of a healer or healing
touch, could confound the results. Targ created a strict double-blind
format: each healer received sealed packets with information about the
patients to be healed, including their names, photos, and T-cell counts.
Every other week, the healers were assigned a new patient and asked to
hold an intention for the health and well-being of the patient an hour a
day for six days, with the alternate weeks off for rest. In this
manner, eventually every patient in the healing group would be sent
healing energy by every healer in turn.

"At the end of the first study, although 40 percent of the control
population died, all ten of the patients in the treatment group were not
only alive, but far healthier in every regard.

"... In the second study, those sent healing were again far healthier
on every parameter tested: significantly fewer AIDS-defining illnesses,
improved T-cell levels, fewer hospitalizations, fewer visits to the
doctor, fewer new illnesses, less severity of disease, and better
psychological well-being. The differences were decisive; for instance,
the treatment group had six times fewer AIDS-defining illnesses and four
times fewer hospitalizations at the end of the study than the controls."

"In Targ's original studies, the healing had been carried out by
highly experienced, successful healers who'd been chosen because they
possessed a special gift. After the studies were completed, Targ grew
interested in whether an ordinary individual could be similarly trained
to use intention effectively."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 26, 9:52*am, Steve Ackman
wrote:
In , on
Sat, 26 Feb 2011 04:39:22 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins, wrote:

However the language of plants is proteins, polysaccharides,
porphyrins etc; biochemical rather than electrical.

* Where do biophoto emissions fall in your dichotomy?

There's no dichotomy, I don't have a preferred answer.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15947465
Bioluminescence is well understood and used in light sticks. An
electron falling between bands that are far enough apart can emit a
photon. There are dumb rocks that can emit light, like zinc sulphide.

"I take Houdini's approach to paranormal phenomena, not denying
anything but looking very hard at the evidence for intentional or
inadvertent errors. "

I am a lab technician concerned with rigorous methodology, not the
conclusions which I won't have to defend.

If it makes you feel better I just made an offering of the mineral-
rich ashes from my stove to the oak tree outside whose spirit watches
over my house. It will drop branches on the roof if I displease it.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 08:26:48 -0700, Steve Ackman
wrote:

I have about 100 varieties of seed, some from 20
years ago (I throw it out after it goes over 20) that
I really hate to throw away, but germination trials
really take a lot more space than I have.

"The viability of seeds can distinguished by the size of the corona.
Fertile seeds show much larger coronas than dead seeds. The photography
process does no harm to the seeds ability to grow."

So plant some of the 19 y/o seeds, collect seeds from the new
planting, and retun those to your collection. Easy peasy.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In , on
Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:28:17 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins, wrote:

On Feb 26, 9:52Â*am, Steve Ackman
wrote:
In , on
Sat, 26 Feb 2011 04:39:22 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins, wrote:

However the language of plants is proteins, polysaccharides,
porphyrins etc; biochemical rather than electrical.

Â* Where do biophoto emissions fall in your dichotomy?

There's no dichotomy, I don't have a preferred answer.

Dichotomy doesn't imply preference.
You said "biochemical rather than electrical," implying
those are the two potential alternatives of plant language.
In normal English, that can be described as a dichotomy.
Either... or...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15947465
Bioluminescence is well understood and used in light sticks. An
electron falling between bands that are far enough apart can emit a
photon. There are dumb rocks that can emit light, like zinc sulphide.

You're well aware that a single continuous tone isn't
the same as morse code.

"I take Houdini's approach to paranormal phenomena, not denying
anything but looking very hard at the evidence for intentional or
inadvertent errors. "

I am a lab technician concerned with rigorous methodology, not the
conclusions which I won't have to defend.

I have yet to see you "looking very hard" at any
evidence, much less even giving a cursory glance at
the studies you find fault with.

If it makes you feel better I just made an offering of the mineral-
rich ashes from my stove to the oak tree outside whose spirit watches
over my house. It will drop branches on the roof if I displease it.

sigh I had imagined you to be above that sort of thing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 17:58:14 -0700, Steve Ackman
wrote:

In , on Sat, 26 Feb 2011
15:43:11 -0800, Larry Jaques, wrote:

What are the seeds for? Got a list?

Nah. I should have, but don't. Here are the first
dozen:

Dayum, he's gonna make me hunt fer it.

Conium maculatum

Used to make poison hemlock tea, I'm guessing?

Cucumis metuliferus

Decorative melon. Looks dangerous to prepare, though, if one were to
eat one.

Cyperus esculentus sativus

Tiger nuts? How are they?

Cytisus scoparius

Do not plant these! Scotch Broom is a horribly invasive plant which
is strewn by both birds and the wind. It's on the kill list here in
Oregon. It has beautiful and vivid yellow flowers, though.

Datura meteloides
Datura stramonium

I've planted jimson weed (datura/Devil's trumpet) before and love
their gorgeous and gigantic flowers. Mine were white.

Eleutherococcus senticosus

My favorite ginseng, SiboGin, which I much prefer over Panax for
energy.

Eucalyptus globulus

Teensy shrub for the back yard? Bluegum, 98-180' tall.

Eucalyptus viminalis

Another tiny shrub, this one only 89m tall.

Euphorbia lathyrus

Spurge? You saved spurge seeds?!?

Gleditsia triacanthos

Pretty honey locust tree. is it treacherous like the spiny black
locust?

Hyoscyamus niger

Henbane? Interesting. What is your use?
http://www.homeopathyandmore.com/for...opic.php?t=317

Hmmm, did you collect all these seeds after ingesting some Datura?

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chapter 5 - Entering Hyperspace

Entering Hyperspace

* Monks in the Himalayans can slow their metabolism by 60%. Compare to
10% to 15% for the average sleeping person.

* Conversely, those same monks can sleep outdoors @ 15,000' in Feb.
without sleeping bags, coats or blankets. Can dry a soaking wet sheet
in freezing temperatures using only body heat.

* Monks practicing "compassionate meditation" show sustained bursts of
high gamma band activity -- rapid cycles up to 25-70Hz. Waves all over
the brain synchronize.

* Brain waves predominantly in alpha produce inner awareness while
predominantly gamma produce heightened perceptual awareness, magnified
outer awareness.

* Neophytes who practiced mindfulness meditation for 8 weeks showed
enhanced immune function and increased blood flow to "happy" part of
brain.

* Long term meditation produces actual physical changes in the brain,
making it permanently more coherent. Increases cortical thickness; stops
normal reduction associated with aging.

* Left-brain as accountant and right-brain as artist not as efficient as
"whole brain" working together. During meditation, both sides
communicate harmoniously.

* Harmann Boundary Questionaire test shows people with "thin boundaries"
(e.g., artists, musicians) score best in remote influence.

"Davidson, Krippner, and Lazar demonstrated that we can remodel
particular portions of our own brains, depending on our different types
of focus and indeed different thoughts. It became clear to me that the
intense focus of certain types of meditation can be a portal to
hyperspace and peak awareness, transporting the meditator to a different
layer of reality. It can also be an energizing practice more than a
calming one, that can help us rewire our brains to improve our
/reception/ and /transmission/ of intention. I had assumed that
intention was like a strong "oomph," or mental push, through which you
project your thoughts to another person to ensure that your wishes are
carried out. But the healers described a very different process:
intention requires initial focus, but then a type of surrender, a
letting go of the self as well as the outcome."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 13:22:04 -0700, Steve Ackman
wrote:

wrote:

Here are the first dozen:

Dayum, he's gonna make me hunt fer it.

Better you than me!

Lazy bastid.

Tiger nuts? How are they?

Never got around to trying them. Maybe this year...

I keep saying things like that, too...

Cytisus scoparius

Do not plant these! Scotch Broom is a horribly invasive plant which
is strewn by both birds and the wind. It's on the kill list here in
Oregon. It has beautiful and vivid yellow flowers, though.

It's also known by the State of California to be a
pest, but most of the rest of the country doesn't have
that same knowledge.

That's because the Left Coast has superb weather. Everything is
invasive out here. It doesn't know when to quit!

Datura meteloides
Datura stramonium

I've planted jimson weed (datura/Devil's trumpet) before and love
their gorgeous and gigantic flowers. Mine were white.

Yup, very pretty, but the blossoms almost verge on
stink to me. They need to far enough away not to be
smelled while still close enough to see.

I didn't notice it. But the bush didn't get over 6' after my late
planting. It later froze at 17F.

IIRC, one of them has sweet sap, perhaps suitable
for making syrup. They're not very cold tolerant,
but we were in northern FL when I got those. One or
both is supposed to be very fast growing too... like
the bamboo of the tree world.

It makes damned good firewood, if you like a snap/crackle/pop.

Hyoscyamus niger

Henbane? Interesting. What is your use?
http://www.homeopathyandmore.com/for...opic.php?t=317

Well, when you put it that way!
The Internet of twenty years ago didn't have all this
info. I don't recall why I got this one. There must
have been an entry in _A Modern Herbal_ or _Scientific
Validation of Herbal Medicine_ or _Indian Herbalogy
of North America_ or _Using Plants for Healing_ or...
any one of numerous others, that made me want to try
growing it.

Yeah, it has medicinal doses, too.

Hmmm, did you collect all these seeds after ingesting some Datura?

Most of those were from the '91 - '94 period and
I never did get around to trying Datura's
hallucenogenic properties. I did flirt with the idea,
but the list of side effects was sufficient deterrent.

Yeah, too scary for a (dare I say "sane"?) regular guy.

I found a copy of _The Intention Experiment_ for a buck and a quarter,
so I picked it up from an Amazon vendor today. Your little quoted
tidbits from it taunted me to no end.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:02:59 -0700, Steve Ackman
wrote:

Hey, I have/had some Kudzu seed. How do you think
that'll do out your way? ;-)

It'd look good right next to the Hellfire and Damnation plants.

I found a copy of _The Intention Experiment_ for a buck and a quarter,
so I picked it up from an Amazon vendor today. Your little quoted
tidbits from it taunted me to no end.

Always glad to be of service. :-)

I'm only planning on going as far as the study that
IIRC, showed that prayer was roughly as effective as
intention, though there were conditions where prayer
had deleterious effects under the same conditions
where intention provided favorable results... the part
that demonstrates certain types of "prayer" are
answered when there's no deity being asked.

I consider prayer to be a sort of subset of intention.
Both require good focus.

--
Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!

Experiment Bob Crawford Woodturning 7 May 14th 09 08:19 PM
Chemical experiment not going well Don Foreman Metalworking 0 December 9th 08 04:31 AM
Chemical experiment not going well Gene[_2_] Metalworking 2 December 9th 08 04:08 AM
TV Aerial Experiment [email protected] UK diy 35 February 16th 08 04:37 PM
Vac Experiment 2 [email protected] Woodworking 4 March 16th 05 12:35 AM