Posted to uk.d-i-y, uk.tech.digital-tv

Default TV Aerial Experiment

Lets be silly. Take a commercial yagi TV aerial, take a strip of
cardboard, and make a full size copy of the layout using bits of 2.5mm
T&E cable for the elements, and the cardboard to replace the spine.

How well would it work?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote in message
Lets be silly. Take a commercial yagi TV aerial, take a strip of
cardboard, and make a full size copy of the layout using bits of 2.5mm
T&E cable for the elements, and the cardboard to replace the spine.

How well would it work?

See
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade2.htm
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade3.htm

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

wrote in message
Lets be silly. Take a commercial yagi TV aerial, take a strip of
cardboard, and make a full size copy of the layout using bits of 2.5mm
T&E cable for the elements, and the cardboard to replace the spine.

How well would it work?

See
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade2.htm
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade3.htm

Bill

Pleased that you are on this newsgroup. I enjoyed the aerial photos.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote in message
Lets be silly. Take a commercial yagi TV aerial, take a strip of
cardboard, and make a full size copy of the layout using bits of 2.5mm
T&E cable for the elements, and the cardboard to replace the spine.

How well would it work?

See
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade2.htm
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade3.htm

Bill

Pleased that you are on this newsgroup. I enjoyed the aerial photos.

Thank you. I've always been here. They haven't found a way to eradicate me.
And I'm a cult you know. An absolute cult, that's what some of them on here
call me.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote in message
Lets be silly. Take a commercial yagi TV aerial, take a strip of
cardboard, and make a full size copy of the layout using bits of 2.5mm
T&E cable for the elements, and the cardboard to replace the spine.

How well would it work?

See
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade2.htm
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade3.htm

Bill

homemade 3 is a stairway to heaven..............

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote in message
Lets be silly. Take a commercial yagi TV aerial, take a strip of
cardboard, and make a full size copy of the layout using bits of 2.5mm
T&E cable for the elements, and the cardboard to replace the spine.

How well would it work?

See
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade2.htm
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade3.htm

Bill

Pleased that you are on this newsgroup. I enjoyed the aerial photos.

Thank you. I've always been here. They haven't found a way to eradicate
me. And I'm a cult you know. An absolute cult, that's what some of them on
here call me.

Bill

Bill,

For the first time ever I have explored some of the more obscure links on
your web site. I'm sad to say I found "Albert's Attic" especially
interesting.

I always knew I was a "latent" anorak. Now I know for sure.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

tony sayer wrote:
In article
.com, scribeth thus
Lets be silly. Take a commercial yagi TV aerial, take a strip of
cardboard, and make a full size copy of the layout using bits of 2.5mm
T&E cable for the elements, and the cardboard to replace the spine.

How well would it work?

NT

It would work .. so would any bit of metal, question is by how much
relative to what;!..

Tony's right: the good news about yagis is that they "want to work".
Anything that is sufficiently yagi-like will tend to be directional and
have some forward gain, at some frequency or another.

Making them work *well*, and on the frequency that you want to use, is
quite another story.

The active elements don't have to be "connected" together.
The diameter
of the 2.5. Elements would have an effect on the bandwidth..

By removing the metal boom and element clamps, and also changing the
diameters of the elements, you have changed two things that affect the
resonant frequency of each element. This shifts the frequency response
of the whole array. And as for the changes in the driven element, and
how they might affect the transfer of signal into the downlead... you
have no way to know.

If you are aiming to copy an existing Yagi design, you must copy:
* all the element lengths
* all the element diameters
* the element mounting method.
That means: copy EXACTLY. If you change any of these details, you are
actually building a new design. The following page isn't specifically
about TV yagis, but it gives some idea of what's involved:
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/diy-yagi

Sorry, but this really isn't a subject that you can just wander into and
immediately succeed. Unless you have such a strong TV signal that none
of this matters, you'd be better off with a commercial yagi.

--
Ian White

On Feb 8, 6:03 am, "tpow" wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message

See
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade2.htm
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade3.htm

Bill

homemade 3 is a stairway to heaven..............

It is ! As a lad I took Dad's decommissioned Band I/III aerial,
chopped up its elements and converted it to a Group C/D UHF. I was
astounded to discover that simply by pointing out of my ground level
bedroom window, I could receive watchable pictures from Mendip (about
90 miles away).

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Good till it rained.

I built many yagis in my youth, and as long as the main dimensions and
connections were right, they all worked. However wood as a boom did tend to
dampen the performance....)ouch)

Brian

Email:

wrote in message
Lets be silly. Take a commercial yagi TV aerial, take a strip of
cardboard, and make a full size copy of the layout using bits of 2.5mm
T&E cable for the elements, and the cardboard to replace the spine.

How well would it work?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"John" wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
See
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade2.htm
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade3.htm

Pleased that you are on this newsgroup. I enjoyed the aerial photos.

It's a crossposted thread doncha know.

--
Dave Farrance
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In message
,
Mark Carver writes
On Feb 8, 6:03 am, "tpow" wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message

See
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade2.htm
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade3.htm

Bill

homemade 3 is a stairway to heaven..............

It is ! As a lad I took Dad's decommissioned Band I/III aerial,
chopped up its elements and converted it to a Group C/D UHF. I was
astounded to discover that simply by pointing out of my ground level
bedroom window, I could receive watchable pictures from Mendip (about
90 miles away).

In 1967(ish), my parents old 3-element Channel 5 (Band 1) aerial got
trimmed down for the amateur 4m band (~70MHz). I the furthest contact I
made with it was Gibraltar.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On Feb 8, 6:03 am, "tpow" wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message

See
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade2.htm
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade3.htm

Bill

homemade 3 is a stairway to heaven..............

It is ! As a lad I took Dad's decommissioned Band I/III aerial,
chopped up its elements and converted it to a Group C/D UHF. I was
astounded to discover that simply by pointing out of my ground level
bedroom window, I could receive watchable pictures from Mendip (about
90 miles away).

You should try the one in my loft.. I need 24db of attenuation to avoid
overloading the Philips set's receiver.
Mind you I am only about 6 miles from Sutton and you get a decent digital
picture using a screwdriver as an aerial.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Feb 8, 6:03 am, "tpow" wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message

See
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade2.htm
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade3.htm

Bill

homemade 3 is a stairway to heaven..............

It is ! As a lad I took Dad's decommissioned Band I/III aerial,
chopped up its elements and converted it to a Group C/D UHF. I was
astounded to discover that simply by pointing out of my ground level
bedroom window, I could receive watchable pictures from Mendip (about
90 miles away).

You should try the one in my loft.. I need 24db of attenuation to avoid
overloading the Philips set's receiver.
Mind you I am only about 6 miles from Sutton and you get a decent digital
picture using a screwdriver as an aerial.

I bet that's because it's a Philips screwdriver...........;-)

Chas

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 18:17:51 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

wrote in message
Lets be silly. Take a commercial yagi TV aerial, take a strip of
cardboard, and make a full size copy of the layout using bits of 2.5mm
T&E cable for the elements, and the cardboard to replace the spine.

How well would it work?

See
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade2.htm
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade3.htm

Brilliant site Bill!
Hmmm... I guess I must qualify for an anorak myself.

gets coat...
--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info http://mixpix.batcave.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 18:17:51 -0000, "Bill Wright"
wrote:

wrote in message
Lets be silly. Take a commercial yagi TV aerial, take a strip of
cardboard, and make a full size copy of the layout using bits of 2.5mm
T&E cable for the elements, and the cardboard to replace the spine.

How well would it work?

See
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade2.htm
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade3.htm

Bill

I remember making a horizontal yagi to receive RTÉ in Liverpool
on channel 7 back in the sixties.

I'm sure I got the dimensions from Practical Television.

It only worked in the summer the opening season.

That's tropo not pub opening.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"mick" wrote in message
. ..
Brilliant site Bill!

Thank you. Anyone who has pictures of particularly
interesting/wierd/inexplicable/dodgy aerials please send them in.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"XxXxXX" wrote in message
I'm sure I got the dimensions from Practical Television.

It only worked in the summer the opening season.

That's tropo not pub opening.

I see from your signature that you have an interest in quality ales.

Bill

Brian Gaff wrote:

Good till it rained.

I built many yagis in my youth, and as long as the main dimensions and
connections were right, they all worked. However wood as a boom did tend to
dampen the performance....)ouch)

Brian

Thanks everyone! Now I know.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In message , kim
writes
wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

Good till it rained.

I built many yagis in my youth, and as long as the main dimensions
and connections were right, they all worked. However wood as a boom
did tend to dampen the performance....)ouch)

Brian

Thanks everyone! Now I know.

Something no-one mentioned here was the lack of a balun which could wreak
havoc with weak digital signals due to standing waves on the cable. The most
popular home-made types these days seem to be the bow-tie + reflector +
balun design.

(kim)

Does the lack of a balun actually cause standing waves on the cable?
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article ,
kim wrote:

Yes. I think the ones sold by Maplin cost less than 10p each to make )

I'm sure there was a Wireless World article called "a balun for 10p" - some
40 years ago, I suspect.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:03:47 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

I'm sure there was a Wireless World article called "a balun for 10p" - some
40 years ago, I suspect.

In that case wouldn't it have been "for 2/-"?

;-)
--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

I'm sure there was a Wireless World article called "a balun for 10p" -
some 40 years ago, I suspect.

In that case wouldn't it have been "for 2/-"?

;-)

make it 36 years ago.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote in message
Lets be silly. Take a commercial yagi TV aerial, take a strip of
cardboard, and make a full size copy of the layout using bits of 2.5mm
T&E cable for the elements, and the cardboard to replace the spine.

How well would it work?

See
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade2.htm
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade3.htm

Bill

Pleased that you are on this newsgroup.

Which group?

This one of course!

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote in message
Lets be silly. Take a commercial yagi TV aerial, take a strip of
cardboard, and make a full size copy of the layout using bits of 2.5mm
T&E cable for the elements, and the cardboard to replace the spine.

How well would it work?

See
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade2.htm
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade3.htm

Bill

Pleased that you are on this newsgroup. I enjoyed the aerial photos.

Thank you. I've always been here. They haven't found a way to eradicate
me. And I'm a cult you know. An absolute cult, that's what some of them on
here call me.

Oh dear, my brain, such as it is, substituted the 'l' for an 'n'!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

alan holmes wrote:

wrote in message
Lets be silly. Take a commercial yagi TV aerial, take a strip of
cardboard, and make a full size copy of the layout using bits of
2.5mm T&E cable for the elements, and the cardboard to replace the
spine.

How well would it work?

See
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade2.htm
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/homemade3.htm

Bill

Pleased that you are on this newsgroup.

Which group?

This one of course!

MBQ

Which one? This thread is crossposted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

Lets be silly. Take a commercial yagi TV aerial, take a strip of
cardboard, and make a full size copy of the layout using bits of 2.5mm
T&E cable for the elements, and the cardboard to replace the spine.

How well would it work?

NT

Well I finally got a few minutes to spare and made one. Didnt have
time to measure an existing one, so just vaguely guessed. It works,
albeit rather badly. Picture is quite a lot better than it was with
no
gain though, so there must be a handful of dB there. Unfortunately
me camera's broke though.

NT

Cool experiment Video Jeff Electronics 1 September 19th 06 09:44 PM
Ammonia Fuming Experiment [email protected] Woodworking 4 June 1st 05 12:41 AM
Vac Experiment 2 [email protected] Woodworking 4 March 16th 05 12:35 AM
Shop Vac Experiment [email protected] Woodworking 11 March 14th 05 07:44 PM
experiment results so far... [email protected] Woodworking 3 January 2nd 05 10:38 PM