Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gun Parts solvent/cleaning question

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 15:52:13 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

There's some gun people here, so thought I'd ask. Also, guns do have a
slight metal content.

I want to wash some gun parts. I need about a gallon, and I intend to store
it in a jug and reuse it. Gun solvent is more expensive than REALLY good
single malt Scotch. I was thinking of maybe washing on some solvent on gun
parts that have powder residue, like bolt, breech, barrel, trigger assembly,
etc. Let it sit a bit, then wash it off in a bath of cheap liquid. I will
need this also to clean some of my pistols, where almost the entire gun can
be submerged. Is this a good idea, or is this a Q-tip/rag/lots of patience
thing?

Would rubbing alcohol or regular isopropyl work? Another liquid? And would
gun solvent evaporate if I let it sit too long between brushing and dipping
in final wash solution? Don't want anything that will harm the bluing, or
the wood stocks.

I know that these parts can be cleaned with tiny brushes, pieces of dowel,
etc. I just have this semi-auto rifle that looks like it has never been
cleaned, and it obviously is going to have to be cleaned in stages. And how
about the inside of the gun that stays attached to the stock, and cannot be
dipped without getting some of the solvent on the stock?

Particularly, I'm working with a Rem 552 BDL with a very nice stock.

TIA

Steve

Ed's Red
http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/d...ch/eds_red.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend fired this volley in
:

http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/d...ch/eds_red.htm

"NFPA approved plastic gasoline storage containers are OK. Do NOT use
HDPE, which is permeable, "

Those are HDPE. The new CARB compliant cans have an anti-permeation
layer, but the older standard (approved) cans do not.

Outer's Brand "Gun Scrubber" is pretty effective at removing gunk, too.
It's cheap, and it's chloroform, which (badged as chloroform, not "gun
scrubber") in 5-gallon cans sells for about $3.00 per gallon.

LLoyd