Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Question about Metric Threads...

Ordered some metric bolts from McMaster...

Received them and noticed they are marked as follows:

M16 bolt, 1.5 pitch has "Metric 8.8" shown on the top of the hex and on
McMaster's paperwork.

M16 bolt, 2.0 pitch has "Metric 10.9" shown on the top of the hex and on
McMaster's paperwork.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what those 8.8 and 10.9 refer to.
Anyone know?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
Ordered some metric bolts from McMaster...

Received them and noticed they are marked as follows:

M16 bolt, 1.5 pitch has "Metric 8.8" shown on the top of the hex and on
McMaster's paperwork.

M16 bolt, 2.0 pitch has "Metric 10.9" shown on the top of the hex and on
McMaster's paperwork.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what those 8.8 and 10.9 refer to.
Anyone know?

They're grade markings, approximately equivalent to SAE Grades 5 and 8
respectively.
http://www.sizes.com/tools/bolts_metric_standards.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

They're grade markings, approximately equivalent to SAE Grades 5 and 8
respectively.
http://www.sizes.com/tools/bolts_metric_standards.htm

Thanks Doug. Perfect information and appreciated.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

strength (grade) of bolts

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
Ordered some metric bolts from McMaster...

Received them and noticed they are marked as follows:

M16 bolt, 1.5 pitch has "Metric 8.8" shown on the top of the hex and on
McMaster's paperwork.

M16 bolt, 2.0 pitch has "Metric 10.9" shown on the top of the hex and on
McMaster's paperwork.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what those 8.8 and 10.9 refer to.
Anyone know?

They're grade markings, approximately equivalent to SAE Grades 5 and 8
respectively.
http://www.sizes.com/tools/bolts_metric_standards.htm

it's interesting that metric assholes can't handle fractions withouth
crying little bitches, but requiring multiple numbers and periods to mark
bolt grades is completely OK.

idiots.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message

(snip)

it's interesting that metric assholes can't handle fractions withouth
crying little bitches, but requiring multiple numbers and periods to mark
bolt grades is completely OK.

idiots.

I think it was MAD TV that had a hilarious sketch about a jerk who used
nothing but online gamer trash talk in real life. It is scary how similar
you seem to that guy.

In any case, please enlighten us about your ideal bolt grading system and
why it is better than the metric standard where you can know the bolt
strength without looking it up in a table. Also how is it you became more
of an expert on bolt grading than all the engineers on the standards
committee?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

anorton wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message

(snip)

it's interesting that metric assholes can't handle fractions withouth
crying little bitches, but requiring multiple numbers and periods to mark
bolt grades is completely OK.

idiots.

I think it was MAD TV that had a hilarious sketch about a jerk who used
nothing but online gamer trash talk in real life. It is scary how similar
you seem to that guy.

Oh no, I'm quite upset now.

In any case, please enlighten us about your ideal bolt grading system and
why it is better than the metric standard where you can know the bolt
strength without looking it up in a table. Also how is it you became more
of an expert on bolt grading than all the engineers on the standards
committee?

Nothing but the finest of ideas come from a european standards committee.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message

(snip)

it's interesting that metric assholes can't handle fractions withouth
crying little bitches, but requiring multiple numbers and periods to mark
bolt grades is completely OK.

idiots.

I think it was MAD TV that had a hilarious sketch about a jerk who used
nothing but online gamer trash talk in real life. It is scary how similar
you seem to that guy.

In any case, please enlighten us about your ideal bolt grading system and
why it is better than the metric standard where you can know the bolt
strength without looking it up in a table. Also how is it you became more
of an expert on bolt grading than all the engineers on the standards
committee?

I must have Cydrome Leader blocked because I see your reply and his text
above it but the useless rant never made it to my reader in its original
form.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
"anorton" wrote in message
m...

[...]

I can't SEE you!

Regards,
Cydrome Leader, Sr.
(800) 871-5022 telemarkting cold call hotline
01.908.542.0244 (grade of metric bolts)
Chinese Slave Labor / Defective Pneumatic Drills: http://www.AutoDrill.com
Chinese Leaded food products Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Counterfeit software : http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
NAKED VIDEOS: http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill
Democratic Party TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8014-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Ordered some metric bolts from McMaster...

Received them and noticed they are marked as follows:

M16 bolt, 1.5 pitch has "Metric 8.8" shown on the top of the hex and on
McMaster's paperwork.

M16 bolt, 2.0 pitch has "Metric 10.9" shown on the top of the hex and on
McMaster's paperwork.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what those 8.8 and 10.9 refer to.
Anyone know?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Joe

That is the hardness grade of the bolt similar to a grade 8 marking or
a grade 5.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-16, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Ordered some metric bolts from McMaster...

Received them and noticed they are marked as follows:

M16 bolt, 1.5 pitch has "Metric 8.8" shown on the top of the hex and on
McMaster's paperwork.

M16 bolt, 2.0 pitch has "Metric 10.9" shown on the top of the hex and on
McMaster's paperwork.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what those 8.8 and 10.9 refer to.
Anyone know?

They are the equivalent to the grade markings on US bolts (the
radial lines show the grade there, while the metric ones use grades
specified as a short decimal number.

This web site (and others, of course) has a table filling in all
of that information -- scroll down near the bottom:

http://euler9.tripod.com/bolt-database/22.html

But in specific, according to that table:

8.8 medium carbon steel, quenched and tempered

10.9 medium carbon steel, quenched and tempered

or

10.9 medium carbon alloy steel, quenched and tempered

or

10.9 low carbon boron steel, quenched and tempered

depending on size (there is quite a bit of overlap). At M16, it could be
any of the three.

Look up the chart, as there are various other things included. Among
other things, the test strength of your 10.9 is a lot higher than your
8.8. (Of course you may not need all that strength, but just in case. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Easily cutting metric lens threads on inch lathe [email protected] Metalworking 9 February 24th 09 05:48 PM
Identical Metric and US Screw Threads Norm Dresner Metalworking 4 February 18th 09 03:45 PM
Threads question SteveB Metalworking 22 August 16th 07 08:25 AM
Problem making metric threads on a Jet GHB1340A lathe [email protected] Metalworking 23 October 5th 05 05:17 PM
Tap drill size for metric threads? David Anderson Metalworking 13 August 25th 05 06:32 AM