Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe questions...

I'm thinking of buying one of the Chinese 14x40 engine lathes, Harbor
Freight #66665 or equivalent. I have a 12x36 or so Atlas Clausing
currently (will keep), but it has a 1 1/2-8 threaded, 3C spindle, I only
have a mediocre 3 jaw chuck, etc. I know I could chase around after old
iron that may be better, but I'd still likely have to chase after chucks
and other necessary accessories and likely not get the D series spindle
I really want.

Everything I've been able to find on these 14x40 engine lathes (the
better models with foot brake, coolant, etc.) seems to indicate that
they are pretty decent machines, particularly if you are able to go
through them thoroughly when installing them and tweak everything. Does
anyone here have any experience with them?

Thanks,

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
I'm thinking of buying one of the Chinese 14x40 engine lathes, Harbor
Freight #66665 or equivalent. I have a 12x36 or so Atlas Clausing
currently (will keep), but it has a 1 1/2-8 threaded, 3C spindle, I only
have a mediocre 3 jaw chuck, etc. I know I could chase around after old
iron that may be better, but I'd still likely have to chase after chucks
and other necessary accessories and likely not get the D series spindle
I really want.

Everything I've been able to find on these 14x40 engine lathes (the
better models with foot brake, coolant, etc.) seems to indicate that
they are pretty decent machines, particularly if you are able to go
through them thoroughly when installing them and tweak everything. Does
anyone here have any experience with them?

Thanks,

Pete C.

I saw this recently and thought it was worth posting
http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/albu...13378&p=229819
.. One man's experience with a Chinese gear head lathe from Warco, a
fairly well known UK supplier. I'm not sure if it's a 14x40, maybe a bit
smaller, but you can get the idea from the sequence of photos that there
seems to be a mix of well made parts, poor parts and poor assembly practice.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There's a hell-of-a difference between these and top end old American
iron. I'm watching for a LeBlond Servo shift in this same size range.
You can pick one up from a used machine jockey for about 4K (no
tooling) anytime around here. You'll buy the machine again tooling it.

I'm not going to bust your balls about buying Asian. That's been done
too much around here. But I do think you should at least take a look
at what a few jockeys have on hand if you're in a hurry.

For myself, I'm a cheapskate and patient. If it'll make you feel
worse, I'll rub salt in the wound when I score a nice one.

Somebody had to tweak you, might as well be me.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-12, Pete C. wrote:

I'm thinking of buying one of the Chinese 14x40 engine lathes, Harbor
Freight #66665 or equivalent. I have a 12x36 or so Atlas Clausing
currently (will keep), but it has a 1 1/2-8 threaded, 3C spindle, I only
have a mediocre 3 jaw chuck, etc. I know I could chase around after old
iron that may be better, but I'd still likely have to chase after chucks
and other necessary accessories and likely not get the D series spindle
I really want.

Everything I've been able to find on these 14x40 engine lathes (the
better models with foot brake, coolant, etc.) seems to indicate that
they are pretty decent machines, particularly if you are able to go
through them thoroughly when installing them and tweak everything. Does
anyone here have any experience with them?

I heard some positive experiences about them from a friend of a
friend.

Old iron comes with its own problems, too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 12, 8:19*am, "Pete C." wrote:
I'm thinking of buying one of the Chinese 14x40 engine lathes, Harbor
Freight #66665 or equivalent. I have a 12x36 or so Atlas Clausing
currently (will keep), but it has a 1 1/2-8 threaded, 3C spindle,
Thanks,

* * * * Pete C.

I have a Birmingham 13 x 40. Had to do some cosmetic things lathe and
of course clesn off the cosmoline but it runs well for me. Use it a
few times a month. Perhaps 10 hours motor time. I live in AZ and it
was shipped from LA Area. I imagine they are avail from several
distributors in the US. My distributor is in LAs Vegas area. Good
service.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's great that you've shared that link, David. The phrase that Chinese
machines are "kit machines" is clearly demonstrated in those images and
comments.
For the users that want to begin using the Chinese machines as soon as
they're uncrated.. good luck.

After replacing pactically every fastener, generally.. a thorough cleanup,
and some modifications, the China models are capable of being fairly
reliable for home shop use.
Another worthwhile upgrade is to (best option) replace the Chinese motors..
or minimally add more motor protective devices.

--
WB

"David Billington" wrote in message

I saw this recently and thought it was worth posting
http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/albu...13378&p=229819 .
One man's experience with a Chinese gear head lathe from Warco, a fairly
well known UK supplier. I'm not sure if it's a 14x40, maybe a bit smaller,
but you can get the idea from the sequence of photos that there seems to
be a mix of well made parts, poor parts and poor assembly practice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 12, 10:19*am, "Pete C." wrote:

Everything I've been able to find on these 14x40 engine lathes (the
better models with foot brake, coolant, etc.) seems to indicate that
they are pretty decent machines, particularly if you are able to go
through them thoroughly when installing them and tweak everything. Does
anyone here have any experience with them?

Thanks,

* * * * Pete C.

One of the Seattle Metalheads lives in Bremerton and has a bunch of
machines. One of them was a Chinese or Taiwan lathe of that size. I
think it is a Victor. It was one of the first machines he bought and
he says it has more than paid for itself.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 13, 3:17*am, "Wild_Bill" wrote:
It's great that you've shared that link, David. The phrase that Chinese
machines are "kit machines" is clearly demonstrated in those images and
comments.
For the users that want to begin using the Chinese machines as soon as
they're uncrated.. good luck.

After replacing pactically every fastener, generally.. a thorough cleanup,
and some modifications, the China models are capable of being fairly
reliable for home shop use....
WB

I had to disassemble, clean, and replace every breakable small part on
my trade school South Bend too.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:

It's great that you've shared that link, David. The phrase that Chinese
machines are "kit machines" is clearly demonstrated in those images and
comments.
For the users that want to begin using the Chinese machines as soon as
they're uncrated.. good luck.

After replacing pactically every fastener, generally.. a thorough cleanup,
and some modifications, the China models are capable of being fairly
reliable for home shop use.
Another worthwhile upgrade is to (best option) replace the Chinese motors..
or minimally add more motor protective devices.

I believe these 14x40 engine lathes (not bench lathes) come with 3HP 3PH
motors, so they should be better motors that their single phase
equivalents given the general rugged nature of three phase motors. I'll
run it off a VFD most likely.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

There's a hell-of-a difference between these and top end old American
iron. I'm watching for a LeBlond Servo shift in this same size range.
You can pick one up from a used machine jockey for about 4K (no
tooling) anytime around here. You'll buy the machine again tooling it.

That's exactly the point, for under $4k I can get the Chinese 14x40
engine lathe (not the bench version), with a full set of accessories and
get it all in one or two crates. Waiting for old iron, I have to wait,
hunt, inspect, chase after chucks, rests, centers, etc. and end up
paying twice as much and waiting months to get everything.

I'm not going to bust your balls about buying Asian. That's been done
too much around here. But I do think you should at least take a look
at what a few jockeys have on hand if you're in a hurry.

For myself, I'm a cheapskate and patient. If it'll make you feel
worse, I'll rub salt in the wound when I score a nice one.

I'm cheap too, but not particularly patient, so waiting months to find
everything and paying twice as much doesn't appeal to me. Getting a big
crate and spending a week unpacking, tweaking, adjusting and installing
sounds like the better option.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-12, Pete C. wrote:

[...]

Everything I've found seems to indicate they are good machines if you
know how to adjust and tweak them. I'm also looking at the engine lathe
version, not the bench lathe version, which is a beefier machine with
more features.

Old iron comes with its own problems, too.

Exactly, so you have to spend time traveling, inspecting, possibly
rejecting, chasing after parts and accessories, etc. Something I'd
rather avoid.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
On Feb 12, 8:19 am, "Pete C."
wrote:
I'm thinking of buying one of the Chinese 14x40
engine lathes, Harbor
Freight #66665 or equivalent. I have a 12x36 or
so Atlas Clausing
currently (will keep), but it has a 1 1/2-8
threaded, 3C spindle,
Thanks,

Pete C.

I have a Birmingham 13 x 40. Had to do some
cosmetic things lathe and
of course clesn off the cosmoline but it runs well
for me. Use it a
few times a month. Perhaps 10 hours motor time. I
live in AZ and it
was shipped from LA Area. I imagine they are avail
from several
distributors in the US. My distributor is in LAs
Vegas area. Good
service.

Bob AZ

I bought a Turn-Pro 13 x 40 ten years ago and have
had no
problems. It's done a lot of work too. Made in
Taiwan and
twice the price of a china lathe.
phil k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-13, Pete C. wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

The Chinese are neither stupid, nor incompetent and know how ot make
quality stuff -- if the retailer asks them to. So I have personally no
problem with getting something new if it is known to be a good brand
and has a real company behind it, like Republic Lagun or whatsver.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 09:36:34 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

I hear ya on the convenience thing. It is a PITA to put together
quality old iron if you want to be cheap. Trouble is I've got used to
using top quality stuff - not just average. No way would Asian
quality meet my needs. YMMV

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

Wild_Bill wrote:

It's great that you've shared that link, David. The phrase that Chinese
machines are "kit machines" is clearly demonstrated in those images and
comments.
For the users that want to begin using the Chinese machines as soon as
they're uncrated.. good luck.

After replacing pactically every fastener, generally.. a thorough cleanup,
and some modifications, the China models are capable of being fairly
reliable for home shop use.
Another worthwhile upgrade is to (best option) replace the Chinese motors..
or minimally add more motor protective devices.

I believe these 14x40 engine lathes (not bench lathes) come with 3HP 3PH
motors, so they should be better motors that their single phase
equivalents given the general rugged nature of three phase motors. I'll
run it off a VFD most likely.

Some chinese motors are built very well. I bought a 40 hp one a while
ago that I knew had bad bearings. I was very impressed at the quality
of the workmanship of the windings and the way they were tied off and
potted. After I put it back together I turned it on without the end
cooling fan installed. It ran so quiet that I thought it didn't turn on.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-13, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Feb 13, 3:17*am, "Wild_Bill" wrote:
It's great that you've shared that link, David. The phrase that Chinese
machines are "kit machines" is clearly demonstrated in those images and
comments.
For the users that want to begin using the Chinese machines as soon as
they're uncrated.. good luck.

After replacing pactically every fastener, generally.. a thorough cleanup,
and some modifications, the China models are capable of being fairly
reliable for home shop use....
WB

I had to disassemble, clean, and replace every breakable small part on
my trade school South Bend too.

My 12x24" Clausing only needed the cross-slide leadscrew and nut
replaced. It came with a bed turret, and the longitudinal leadscrew and
been seldom used even -- but the cross-slide for parting off workpieces
if nothing else. Threading was done by Geometric die heads or the like,
not by threading feeds and the carriage. (However, the threading
gearbox was there -- and the threading dial was still in one of the
drawers in the base -- never mounted. :-)

I did have to get new bed wipers. (Hmm ... perhaps time to make
a new set? I've got the felt needed for that.)

I did have to chase down a tailstock for normal turning, but the
turret gets used quite a bit at times.

Oh -- I did eventually replace the spindle -- to get a L-00
spindle nose instead of a 2-1/4x8 threaded one. And at the same time, I
put in new belts from the layshaft to the spindle. (It uses three
matched belts in parallel.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JRE JRE is offline

I have no experience with those lathes, and I don't want to talk you out
of one but a couple of alternatives might be worth thinking about.

I had a local shop make me an adaptor to mount a better chuck on my
lathe. The threaded part of the chuck is a light interference fit with
the body of the chuck, attached with machine screws, that can be tapped
out. He left the finish machining to me so it would be centered on my
spindle. Worked great, and I now have a decent self-centering chuck
after years of misery with my worn-out 4-jaw chuck. (The rest of the
lathe is still old and crappy but it was far cheaper than a better
lathe!) I had them make it because they had the tap...and my lathe
doesn't cut threads any more.

The same shop inspects and/or reconditions and sells very nice used
lathes for about what HF wants for their new ones. They rarely have
Hardinge Dovetails but good South Bends and the like that cost $20K new
can be had for $2K.

YMMV.

--
John Eells

Pete C. wrote:

I'm thinking of buying one of the Chinese 14x40 engine lathes, Harbor
Freight #66665 or equivalent. I have a 12x36 or so Atlas Clausing
currently (will keep), but it has a 1 1/2-8 threaded, 3C spindle, I only
have a mediocre 3 jaw chuck, etc. I know I could chase around after old
iron that may be better, but I'd still likely have to chase after chucks
and other necessary accessories and likely not get the D series spindle
I really want.

Everything I've been able to find on these 14x40 engine lathes (the
better models with foot brake, coolant, etc.) seems to indicate that
they are pretty decent machines, particularly if you are able to go
through them thoroughly when installing them and tweak everything. Does
anyone here have any experience with them?

Thanks,

Pete C.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 09:19:19 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

I'm thinking of buying one of the Chinese 14x40 engine lathes, Harbor
Freight #66665 or equivalent. I have a 12x36 or so Atlas Clausing
currently (will keep), but it has a 1 1/2-8 threaded, 3C spindle, I only
have a mediocre 3 jaw chuck, etc. I know I could chase around after old
iron that may be better, but I'd still likely have to chase after chucks
and other necessary accessories and likely not get the D series spindle
I really want.

Everything I've been able to find on these 14x40 engine lathes (the
better models with foot brake, coolant, etc.) seems to indicate that
they are pretty decent machines, particularly if you are able to go
through them thoroughly when installing them and tweak everything. Does
anyone here have any experience with them?

Thanks,

Pete C.

I have an Enterprise 15 x 50, made in India by Mysore Kiloskar. Foot
brake, D1-4 spindle. I've been completely satisfied with it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

I'm thinking of buying one of the Chinese 14x40 engine lathes, Harbor
Freight #66665 or equivalent. I have a 12x36 or so Atlas Clausing
currently (will keep), but it has a 1 1/2-8 threaded, 3C spindle, I only
have a mediocre 3 jaw chuck, etc. I know I could chase around after old
iron that may be better, but I'd still likely have to chase after chucks
and other necessary accessories and likely not get the D series spindle
I really want.

Everything I've been able to find on these 14x40 engine lathes (the
better models with foot brake, coolant, etc.) seems to indicate that
they are pretty decent machines, particularly if you are able to go
through them thoroughly when installing them and tweak everything. Does
anyone here have any experience with them?

We had an Enco-badged 14x40 in the proto shop
of a company I worked for. Everyone bitched
about it, but we still turned lots of nice
prototype work on it. Paid for itself easily.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:
02:53:58 -0600, Don Foreman, wrote:

I have an Enterprise 15 x 50, made in India by Mysore Kiloskar.

There's a coffee from that region known as
Mysore Nuggets. Do your own joke. Everyone does.

;-)

Is it anything like Kopi Luwak?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:12:11 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Steve Ackman wrote:
02:53:58 -0600, Don Foreman, wrote:

I have an Enterprise 15 x 50, made in India by Mysore Kiloskar.

There's a coffee from that region known as
Mysore Nuggets. Do your own joke. Everyone does.

;-)

Is it anything like Kopi Luwak?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Cheers!
Rich

I spent some 20 years in Indonesia and while I often heard kopi Luwak
mentioned, by both Indonesian and foreigners, I never actually came
across any and have always wondered whether it did in fact exist.
While most Indonesians will immediately recognize a reference to the
name it is certainly not commonly available in the country.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve Ackman wrote:
02:53:58 -0600, Don Foreman, wrote:

I have an Enterprise 15 x 50, made in India by Mysore Kiloskar.

There's a coffee from that region known as
Mysore Nuggets. Do your own joke. Everyone does.

;-)

Is it anything like Kopi Luwak?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Cheers!
Rich

I spent some 20 years in Indonesia and while I often heard kopi Luwak
mentioned, by both Indonesian and foreigners, I never actually came
across any and have always wondered whether it did in fact exist.
While most Indonesians will immediately recognize a reference to the
name it is certainly not commonly available in the country.

I wonder if you could have made some by yourself?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve Ackman wrote:
02:53:58 -0600, Don Foreman, wrote:

I have an Enterprise 15 x 50, made in India by Mysore Kiloskar.

There's a coffee from that region known as
Mysore Nuggets. Do your own joke. Everyone does.

;-)

Is it anything like Kopi Luwak?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Cheers!
Rich

I spent some 20 years in Indonesia and while I often heard kopi Luwak
mentioned, by both Indonesian and foreigners, I never actually came
across any and have always wondered whether it did in fact exist.
While most Indonesians will immediately recognize a reference to the
name it is certainly not commonly available in the country.

I wonder if you could have made some by yourself?

Apparently not. for some reason it must be a Lowak.