Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Conover Lathe Questions

Anyone have a Conover Lathe? I was thinking of getting one and would
appreicate feedback. I have a few questions if anyone has one. As an FYI,
I already have more than one lathe. I was toying with the idea of getting
something that could turn 12" and saw this available for a reasonable
price.

Anyone have instructions they could e-mail?

Anyone have plans for a lathe stand or picture of theirs?

Thanks. John Gbur

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi John,
Your best bet is to contact Ernie Conover at
http://www.conoverworkshops.com/index.php He is the grandson of the original
lathe designer and still has one in his workshop. Good Luck.

Dan

"John Gbur" wrote in message
Anyone have a Conover Lathe? I was thinking of getting one and would
appreicate feedback. I have a few questions if anyone has one. As an
FYI,
I already have more than one lathe. I was toying with the idea of getting
something that could turn 12" and saw this available for a reasonable
price.

Anyone have instructions they could e-mail?

Anyone have plans for a lathe stand or picture of theirs?

Thanks. John Gbur

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

John:

I have a Conover. In fact, the one I own was John Jordon's lathe and (I'm
told) one of the first batch of Conovers made. It's all I've turned on for
the last 12 years, and it had countless miles on it when I received it.

It's a fabulous and heavy-duty lathe, made to configure as you see fit, very
easy to maintain and keep in perfect order. My heart sank when they went
out of business and I bought one each of most of the accessories and
replacement parts while they were still available, even though I had little
use for them. If I knew where there was one that was unwanted, I buy it for
a spare... my grandkids might need it.

Might take a couple of days, but I can post the instructions, which contain
plans for Ernie's stand.

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

"John Gbur" wrote in message
Anyone have a Conover Lathe? I was thinking of getting one and would
appreicate feedback. I have a few questions if anyone has one. As an
FYI,
I already have more than one lathe. I was toying with the idea of getting
something that could turn 12" and saw this available for a reasonable
price.

Anyone have instructions they could e-mail?

Anyone have plans for a lathe stand or picture of theirs?

Thanks. John Gbur

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

John:

Here is the Conover Owner's Manual (5Mb pdf), which contains Ernie's bed/leg
plans:
http://www.cleverinsite.com/ConoverOwnersManual.pdf

"John Gbur" wrote in message
Anyone have a Conover Lathe? I was thinking of getting one and would
appreicate feedback. I have a few questions if anyone has one. As an
FYI,
I already have more than one lathe. I was toying with the idea of getting
something that could turn 12" and saw this available for a reasonable
price.

Anyone have instructions they could e-mail?

Anyone have plans for a lathe stand or picture of theirs?

Thanks. John Gbur

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:30:43 -0400, "John Gbur" wrote:

Anyone have a Conover Lathe? I was thinking of getting one and would
appreicate feedback. I have a few questions if anyone has one. As an FYI,
I already have more than one lathe. I was toying with the idea of getting
something that could turn 12" and saw this available for a reasonable
price.

Anyone have instructions they could e-mail?

Anyone have plans for a lathe stand or picture of theirs?

Thanks. John Gbur

I have a Conover. It uses the same bearing as a Ford 150, morse taper
#3. Nice lathe, but I believe the company is out of business so there
may be an issue getting parts. My stand is cast iron but there are
plans to make hollow stands from plywood and fill with sand for
stability.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks to all. It sold before I could get there! It has happened to me
more than once! I have my eye on some other older iron not as big of swing
but its cheaper. More of a fixer upper. Thanks!

"John Gbur" wrote in message
Anyone have a Conover Lathe? I was thinking of getting one and would
appreicate feedback. I have a few questions if anyone has one. As an

FYI,
I already have more than one lathe. I was toying with the idea of getting
something that could turn 12" and saw this available for a reasonable
price.

Anyone have instructions they could e-mail?

Anyone have plans for a lathe stand or picture of theirs?

Thanks. John Gbur

Conover lathe - For Sale [email protected] Woodturning 1 December 7th 15 02:44 AM
Conover Lathe, Value?, Manual? Michael Latcha Woodturning 3 January 14th 07 11:41 PM
Conover Lathe Sold [email protected] Woodturning 0 April 19th 06 11:33 PM
FS Conover Lathe Arch Woodturning 1 April 15th 06 12:23 PM
FS Conover Lathe [email protected] Woodturning 1 April 13th 06 05:13 PM