Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Not metal but materials question

I have an AMERICAN HARVEST JET STREAM OVEN that I love and use daily.
After ten years the cover has developed a crack. I can order a new
cover and it will cost about $45 with S&H. I can get a new oven online
for around $125. However it would take three weeks or so to get a new
oven and the same for the new cover. I will probably order a new oven
but while I am waiting I would like to attempt a fix of the crack. Is
there a certain type of EPOXY that might work? The inside temperature
of the oven reaches 400F on the highest setting but touching the
outside of the cover during operation will not burn you.
T.I.A
DL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 08:01:57 -0800 (PST), TwoGuns
wrote:

I have an AMERICAN HARVEST JET STREAM OVEN that I love and use daily.
After ten years the cover has developed a crack. I can order a new
cover and it will cost about $45 with S&H. I can get a new oven online
for around $125. However it would take three weeks or so to get a new
oven and the same for the new cover. I will probably order a new oven
but while I am waiting I would like to attempt a fix of the crack. Is
there a certain type of EPOXY that might work? The inside temperature
of the oven reaches 400F on the highest setting but touching the
outside of the cover during operation will not burn you.
T.I.A
DL

Hard to say without knowing more about the material and actual
temperature the adhesive would be exposed to, but I'd be inclined to
try RTV silicone. The regular silicone caulk is good to 350 or 400F,
and some of the hi-temp grades tolerate up to 600F. Don't put it
anywhere it'll be exposed to your food unless it's approved for that
use -- some are.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 01/29/2011 08:01 AM, TwoGuns wrote:
I have an AMERICAN HARVEST JET STREAM OVEN that I love and use daily.
After ten years the cover has developed a crack. I can order a new
cover and it will cost about $45 with S&H. I can get a new oven online
for around $125. However it would take three weeks or so to get a new
oven and the same for the new cover. I will probably order a new oven
but while I am waiting I would like to attempt a fix of the crack. Is
there a certain type of EPOXY that might work? The inside temperature
of the oven reaches 400F on the highest setting but touching the
outside of the cover during operation will not burn you.

"Not burn you" probably means somewhere between 50 to 70 degrees C, if
by "touching" you mean "lay your finger on it", not "touch it briefly".
There should be epoxies that'll hold up to that -- in fact, I'd expect
that JB Weld or epoxy from your local hobby shop would work for that
just fine.

I'd be more concerned with what the cover is made of, whether epoxy
would stick, and what you're planning on reinforcing the joint with, as
just slobbering epoxy on cracked plastic rarely achieves a lasting fix.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 29, 10:01*am, TwoGuns wrote:
I have an AMERICAN HARVEST JET STREAM OVEN that I love and use daily.
After ten years *the cover has developed a crack. I can order a new
cover and it will cost about $45 with S&H. I can get a new oven online
for around $125. However it would take three weeks or so to get a new
oven and the same for the new cover. I will probably order a new oven
but while I am waiting I would like to attempt a fix of the crack. Is
there a certain type of EPOXY that might work? The inside temperature
of the oven reaches 400F on the highest setting but touching the
outside of the cover during operation will not burn you.
T.I.A
DL

I decided to try a temporary patch using GORILLA tape on the outside
of the cover. I placed the first strip of tape in a vertical direction
covering the crack and then laid a second strip on top of the first in
a horizontal direction. I used it this morning to cook some bacon
strips using the 400F setting for about four minutes. Later I cooked a
large baked potato at 300F for twenty minutes. So far the GORILLA tape
is holding.

DL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

TwoGuns wrote:
[...]

I such circumstances I often contact customer service and ask if they
can recommend anything.

Every once in a while you actually get to speak to some guy (it's
usually
a guy) who's been with the company for 300 years and actually knows
something.

A pleasant experience indeed.

DOC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

doc wrote:

I such circumstances I often contact customer service and ask if they
can recommend anything.

Every once in a while you actually get to speak to some guy (it's
usually
a guy) who's been with the company for 300 years and actually knows
something.

A pleasant experience indeed.

Once, the apartment building I was in took a direct lightning hit. It
broke almost everything - the exit signs in the halls were blown up!

Anyway, the TV kept working, but then I couldn't turn it off with the
remote! I had to unplug it. So I called the repair place, and talked
to a female tech! I explained that all I need is a diagnosis, don't
do the transistor - I can swap out the tranny, I just need to know
which one is the turner-offer by remote.

She was very knowledgeable and personable, and it was #35.00 instead
of $100. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 10:51:55 -0800, Tim Wescott
wrote:

[...]

Objects held together by most common epoxies (including JB Weld) come
apart when left out in the sun even if the joint is protected from
direct UV exposure.

Here is a source of high temp adhesives:

http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/index.htm

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Hey Two-Guns,

I can't recall the name without googling and looking at the "Aircraft
Spruce" website, but there is an RTV material that is reddish colour
that is used around high temperature parts on aircraft engines.

OK..so I went and looked:

bottom one on this page is good to 500F, stays sort of flexible

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/permatexprod.php

on this page, the first one is good to 600F, but look at them all,
because one of them sets-up "hard"

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/permatexprod.php

The Permatex stuff in particular should be available at any good
automotive wholesaler.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 29, 9:01*am, TwoGuns wrote:
I have an AMERICAN HARVEST JET STREAM OVEN that I love and use daily.
After ten years *the cover has developed a crack. I can order a new
cover and it will cost about $45 with S&H. I can get a new oven online
for around $125. However it would take three weeks or so to get a new
oven and the same for the new cover. I will probably order a new oven
but while I am waiting I would like to attempt a fix of the crack. Is
there a certain type of EPOXY that might work? The inside temperature
of the oven reaches 400F on the highest setting but touching the
outside of the cover during operation will not burn you.
T.I.A
DL

It's probably polycarbonate, it's commonly used for a cheap high-
temperature(relatively) cover. Downside is that oils and fats will
cause the stuff to craze and crack. Nothing you can do will stop it.
So while you can probably patch the critter, it's on the downhill
side. My college roommate had a Stir-Crazy popcorn popper that had a
dome lid that cracked. I patched it with a chunk of pop can and some
gun bedding epoxy. By the end of the year there was more aluminum
showing than plastic. So you'd probably better order the replacement
cover(or two if you really want to keep it).

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 29, 6:01*am, TwoGuns wrote:
I have an AMERICAN HARVEST JET STREAM OVEN that I love and use daily.
After ten years *the cover has developed a crack. I can order a new
cover and it will cost about $45 with S&H. I can get a new oven online
for around $125. However it would take three weeks or so to get a new
oven and the same for the new cover. I will probably order a new oven
but while I am waiting I would like to attempt a fix of the crack. Is
there a certain type of EPOXY that might work? The inside temperature
of the oven reaches 400F on the highest setting but touching the
outside of the cover during operation will not burn you.
T.I.A
DL

I'd drill the crack so it stops running. I've sewn cracks with wire.
I'd order the new cover. Usually more cracks will be coming.
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

FWIW I made several molds from low-cost 2-part silicone purchased from
eBay, not high-temp rated stuff. Poured molten lead into them. They
don't seem to be damaged in any way and the lead peeled right out.
Though I suspect that they'll deteriorate eventually as the process is
repeated.

Epoxy is not recommended here. It's well-nigh impossible to get the
mixture exactly stoichiometric, and the excess resin or curative may
leach into the food.

If using food-grade silicone I would caulk both sides of the crack to
key the silicone into the crack, so it won't fall out if the bond
isn't too good. Though silicone bonds to a lot of materials very
well.
--
Best -- Terry