Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Question Regarding Welding of Dissimilar Materials

I need to weld two materials together but can not use glue or any type of
surface preparation.

We have Vinyl extrusion that needs to be welded to a Titanium form for use
in a medical application.

The company is building a small medical device that holds up people's arms
as they are exiting the medical facility because so many people stealing
small medical devices and supplies these days.

It is specifically designed for the doctors and nurses as the patients are
simply going to be charged for the items.

The area where the Vinyl and Titanium will be welded is approximately
15.045" long and 0.0004" wide. It has a 0.002mm ridge made of ceramic along
it's edge for scraping purposes and can only be accessed while in a
submerged salt water bath normally used for birthing.

Is there any possibility of using a 120v arc welder for this process?

My customer is anxious to start trials of this product this weekend.

....Happy April 1st everyone.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
[...]

It seems they have had problems in agriculture as well:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/new...news=1&bbcws=1

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

can not use glue or any type of surface preparation.
Vinyl extrusion ... welded to a Titanium form

Wow, I got some Easter eggs for you, though...

Vinyl to vinyl would be ultrasound, I'd guess. But that's not going to
work on titanium.

I don't think the 120v has enough guts, better go with 220v 3 phase.
Plenty of inert gas as well, once the vinyl starts to heat up, you might
blow some strands off the extrusion.

15.045" long and 0.0004" wide.

Can the resulting weld extend past this area?

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 1, 9:19*am, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
[...]

If it wasn't April 1st, i'd call that Design Deficiency Anemia.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

[...]

Explosive cladding...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

Is there any possibility of using a 120v arc welder for this process?

No you can't use it on detected thieves nor can you water board them to find
out details of their criminal activites.

You may lock them up for 24 hrs and play disco records until they break
though

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote: (clip) with TIG one should be able to weld dog**** to
window
glass.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've been wanting to do that for a long time, but didn't know how. What
filler rod, and what flux?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 13:19:42 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

[...]

This sounds like a job for TIG (tongue-in-glottis) welding. I've
heard that with TIG one should be able to weld dog**** to window
glass.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I need to weld two materials together but can not use glue or any type of
surface preparation.

We have Vinyl extrusion that needs to be welded to a Titanium form for use
in a medical application.

Umm, yeah, looks like April first, doesn't it? Weld plastic to titanium?

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 20:01:50 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote: (clip) with TIG one should be able to weld dog**** to
window
glass.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've been wanting to do that for a long time, but didn't know how. What
filler rod, and what flux?

Jay never did tell me that part.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Easy to gas weld with my particular brand of GAS, just ask SWMBO
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 13:19:42 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

snip
My customer is anxious to start trials of this product this weekend.

...Happy April 1st everyone.

Market Place had a really nice spoof yesterday. It had me
shaking my head till they gently reminded me just what day
it was. See:

"IRS making sure your rebate gets spent"

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/d.../01/april_1st/

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It could be don if the dimensions weren't so sloppy.

--
J Miller
[...]

Welding rod question... Al A. Metalworking 10 February 14th 08 04:51 AM
TIG welding question Christopher Tidy Metalworking 17 November 14th 05 06:28 PM
Looking for web (or other) resource on dissimilar woods I can glue together Dick Snyder Woodworking 0 October 4th 05 02:52 AM
Question about Welding Home Repair 6 June 12th 05 03:32 AM
mig welding question Gunner Metalworking 7 June 15th 04 05:18 AM