Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry[_2_] Terry[_2_] is offline

Default Not metal but materials question

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:17:48 -0500, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 08:01:57 -0800 (PST), TwoGuns
wrote:

I have an AMERICAN HARVEST JET STREAM OVEN that I love and use daily.
After ten years the cover has developed a crack. I can order a new
cover and it will cost about $45 with S&H. I can get a new oven online
for around $125. However it would take three weeks or so to get a new
oven and the same for the new cover. I will probably order a new oven
but while I am waiting I would like to attempt a fix of the crack. Is
there a certain type of EPOXY that might work? The inside temperature
of the oven reaches 400F on the highest setting but touching the
outside of the cover during operation will not burn you.
T.I.A
DL

Hard to say without knowing more about the material and actual
temperature the adhesive would be exposed to, but I'd be inclined to
try RTV silicone. The regular silicone caulk is good to 350 or 400F,
and some of the hi-temp grades tolerate up to 600F. Don't put it
anywhere it'll be exposed to your food unless it's approved for that
use -- some are.

FWIW I made several molds from low-cost 2-part silicone purchased from
eBay, not high-temp rated stuff. Poured molten lead into them. They
don't seem to be damaged in any way and the lead peeled right out.
Though I suspect that they'll deteriorate eventually as the process is
repeated.

Epoxy is not recommended here. It's well-nigh impossible to get the
mixture exactly stoichiometric, and the excess resin or curative may
leach into the food.

If using food-grade silicone I would caulk both sides of the crack to
key the silicone into the crack, so it won't fall out if the bond
isn't too good. Though silicone bonds to a lot of materials very
well.
--
Best -- Terry