Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More on Steppers (Servos rule steppers drool types need not respond LOL)

I stopped by today to visit a buddy I haven't seen in a couple years to buy
a motorcycle trailer. He's been out of state taking care of his parents.
While I was there buying the trailer he handed me several other thing he was
getting rid of.

Some screw in lifting rings, a roll around cabinet with a nice flat top that
might be good for the small mill drill. Its old and heavier sheet metal
than modern cabinets.

He gave me a few other things (He's de junking) including a box of small
stepper motors. 3 are Nema 23 half tapped 2 phase 117oz, and 2 are nema 17
unknown force. Light duty stuff, but there was a Hobby CNC board and a
variety of heatsinks in the box as well. I thought I might make one of
those cheesy MDF frame gantries some guys make just for the fun of it with
these.

Now I was wondering if anybody had any idea how to figure out what DC
voltage and current setting would work well with these motors? I'm guessing
24-36 volts, and maybe 1-2 amps.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:53:20 -0700, the renowned "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

Modern circuits chop the power so you use a high power supply voltage
on a very low voltage motor. Here are the specs on Sherline's motors,
which are kinda midrange Nema 23s torque-wise, IIRC:

http://www.sherline.com/67127pg.htm

They are 2A at 3.2V, so would draw much less from a 24V supply with a
chopper driver.

Measure the winding resistance and see whether it looks like an ohm or
two.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

24-36V will be fine, more like 3-4A. Small motors like that probably
won't be good for a MDF router, that size would be more appropriate for
one of the CNC hot wire foam cutters folks use for model aircraft
airfoils.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

I meant made out of MDF. Probably put a rotary tool or maybe just a drag
engraver on it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

I know what you meant, but those steppers are still a bit small for
that. I'm using 200oz steppers on my CNC plasma table (zero cut force),
and 600oz steppers on my mini mill.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

What are you using for stepper drivers for those 600oz motors?

I'm running 382 oz on the Taig now, and I have a Max NC 5 fitted with the
280s I took off the Taig.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

I'm using a Bladerunner Dragoncut control (uses Gecko drives) for both
machines (http://www.candcnc.com). I swap cables at the controller to
select which machine I'll be running and load the appropriate profile in
Mach3.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Makes sense. I am running Gecko G540 breakout and drivers in-one with with
an external 48VDC power supply. I've got a couple 48VDC relays not yet
hooked up for switching spindle and coolant. I like it a lot, but I'm not
sure it can handle any bigger motors than the 380oz and provide full power.
There is an outfit selling G540s on Ebay paired with larger steppers, but
I'm not sure if they will produce full power or not.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Did you notice that I am not responding?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus334" wrote in message
Did you notice that I am not responding?

LOL.

Thank you Iggy. You gave me a good chuckle this morning. Don't panic. I
have no intention of getting rid of the servos on the big mill.