Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default More on Steppers (Servos rule steppers drool types need not respondLOL)

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

I stopped by today to visit a buddy I haven't seen in a couple years to
buy
a motorcycle trailer. He's been out of state taking care of his parents.
While I was there buying the trailer he handed me several other thing he
was
getting rid of.

Some screw in lifting rings, a roll around cabinet with a nice flat top
that
might be good for the small mill drill. Its old and heavier sheet metal
than modern cabinets.

He gave me a few other things (He's de junking) including a box of small
stepper motors. 3 are Nema 23 half tapped 2 phase 117oz, and 2 are nema
17
unknown force. Light duty stuff, but there was a Hobby CNC board and a
variety of heatsinks in the box as well. I thought I might make one of
those cheesy MDF frame gantries some guys make just for the fun of it
with
these.

Now I was wondering if anybody had any idea how to figure out what DC
voltage and current setting would work well with these motors? I'm
guessing
24-36 volts, and maybe 1-2 amps.

24-36V will be fine, more like 3-4A. Small motors like that probably
won't be good for a MDF router, that size would be more appropriate for
one of the CNC hot wire foam cutters folks use for model aircraft
airfoils.

I meant made out of MDF. Probably put a rotary tool or maybe just a drag
engraver on it.

I know what you meant, but those steppers are still a bit small for
that. I'm using 200oz steppers on my CNC plasma table (zero cut force),
and 600oz steppers on my mini mill.