Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More on Steppers (Servos rule steppers drool types need not respond LOL)

I stopped by today to visit a buddy I haven't seen in a couple years to buy
a motorcycle trailer. He's been out of state taking care of his parents.
While I was there buying the trailer he handed me several other thing he was
getting rid of.

Some screw in lifting rings, a roll around cabinet with a nice flat top that
might be good for the small mill drill. Its old and heavier sheet metal
than modern cabinets.

He gave me a few other things (He's de junking) including a box of small
stepper motors. 3 are Nema 23 half tapped 2 phase 117oz, and 2 are nema 17
unknown force. Light duty stuff, but there was a Hobby CNC board and a
variety of heatsinks in the box as well. I thought I might make one of
those cheesy MDF frame gantries some guys make just for the fun of it with
these.

Now I was wondering if anybody had any idea how to figure out what DC
voltage and current setting would work well with these motors? I'm guessing
24-36 volts, and maybe 1-2 amps.