Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Buck Ajust-Tru disassembly?

Ok, good job. What was it that froze it up? What kind of back plate? My brother gave me a damaged dividing head that has a Buck chuck that is screw-on like a small lathe would have.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/16/2011 7:34 PM, KD7HB wrote:
Ok, good job. What was it that froze it up? What kind of back plate? My brother gave me a damaged dividing head that has a Buck chuck that is screw-on like a small lathe would have.

Paul

The adhesion appeared to be caused by 50 years worth of dried coolant
and a light touch of rust. It has no backplate. If I had had a high
confidence level on the chuck repair, I would have tried to get one at
the show.

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-17, axolotl wrote:
On 1/16/2011 7:34 PM, KD7HB wrote:
Ok, good job. What was it that froze it up? What kind of back plate? My brother gave me a damaged dividing head that has a Buck chuck that is screw-on like a small lathe would have.

Paul

The adhesion appeared to be caused by 50 years worth of dried coolant
and a light touch of rust. It has no backplate. If I had had a high
confidence level on the chuck repair, I would have tried to get one at
the show.

That means that you will have to make a backplate with the
projection against which the offset screws work.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--FWIW many moons ago I got a 6-jaw Buck for my Myford; there were
no suitable back plates to match so I made a pattern and had a few cast up
on the theory I'd mess a few up getting one right. First one came out
perfect so I've got a drawer full of castings. Tell me the measurements you
need and maybe I've got iron to fit..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-17, wrote:
On 1/16/2011 7:34 PM, KD7HB wrote:
Ok, good job. What was it that froze it up? What kind of back plate? My brother gave me a damaged dividing head that has a Buck chuck that is screw-on like a small lathe would have.

Paul

The adhesion appeared to be caused by 50 years worth of dried coolant
and a light touch of rust. It has no backplate. If I had had a high
confidence level on the chuck repair, I would have tried to get one at
the show.

That means that you will have to make a backplate with the
projection against which the offset screws work.

You can buy castings made specifically for these chucks.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-17, Jon Elson wrote:
On 01/16/2011 08:58 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

That means that you will have to make a backplate with the
projection against which the offset screws work.

You can buy castings made specifically for these chucks.

Or -- you can bore a recess in the backplate, and turn a solid
cylinder to fit the bore to make the pressure projection . Then screws
through the cylinder and into the backplate to keep them firmly
together.

For that matter -- drill and bore through the cylinder to allow
workpieces to pass though the body and into the spindle. (I really
should do that with mine -- though since it is a 6-jaw, I'm unlikely to
be feeding stock through it. But someday, I probably will. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 18 Jan 2011 02:12:30 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2011-01-17, Jon Elson wrote:
On 01/16/2011 08:58 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

That means that you will have to make a backplate with the
projection against which the offset screws work.

You can buy castings made specifically for these chucks.

Or -- you can bore a recess in the backplate, and turn a solid
cylinder to fit the bore to make the pressure projection . Then screws
through the cylinder and into the backplate to keep them firmly
together.

For that matter -- drill and bore through the cylinder to allow
workpieces to pass though the body and into the spindle. (I really
should do that with mine -- though since it is a 6-jaw, I'm unlikely to
be feeding stock through it. But someday, I probably will. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Humm..Ive 3 Buck adjust trus..all 6 jaw..and all allow me to pass
materal in from a bar feeder

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein