Posted to alt.home.repair

Default best hot tub for the buck

"Scott" wrote in message
. ..
What do you like about your hot tub? What do you NOT like about it? What
brand/model do you have?

As you can tell we are looking into getting a hot tub. There are SO many
different things to think about. Any help would be so nice!

Kim

Are you referring to a hydromassage bathtub that gets installed in your
bathroom or a Jacuzzi style hot tub that sits out on patio or deck?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott wrote:

What do you like about your hot tub? What do you NOT like about it? What
brand/model do you have?

As you can tell we are looking into getting a hot tub. There are SO many
different things to think about. Any help would be so nice!

Kim

Hmmm,
Nothing I like. Germ brewer, chemical soup, you want to soak in it?
My neighborhood has hot tubs almost in every back yard. After initial
excitement wears out, VERY, VERY seldom I see anyone using it.
They just sit there with cover on. Hardly see anyone sitting in it.
I don't have hot tub but I have a sauna I use at least 3-4 times a week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott" wrote in message
. ..
What do you like about your hot tub? What do you NOT like about it? What
brand/model do you have?

As you can tell we are looking into getting a hot tub. There are SO many
different things to think about. Any help would be so nice!

Kim

I like the ones with nekked women in them. Otherwise, they seem to be a
poor investment and little used after a few months.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott wrote:
What do you like about your hot tub? What do you NOT like about it? What
brand/model do you have?

As you can tell we are looking into getting a hot tub. There are SO many
different things to think about. Any help would be so nice!

Kim

If you really have your heart set on one, monitor Craig's List and your
local ad paper for a few weeks, especially once house-selling season
starts. As others have said, once the novelty wears off, they tend to
get abandoned in place. 2-3 year old used ones for a couple hundred
bucks are dirt common. (especially once the gas or electric bills start
rolling in- those things are energy pigs.) Lots of people rip them out
when selling, since they are a turnoff to many buyers, especially with
small kids.

Saw the same syndrome with master bath whirlpool tubs 10-20 years ago-
the concept is more appealing than the reality. PITA to maintain and
keep clean.

Some things work a lot better in rent-by-the-hour places, or romantic
weekend B'n'Bs. There you can enjoy the experience, and not worry about
the upkeep.

Don't get me wrong- I love a good soak in a hot tub, but even if I
didn't live alone (which just makes it pathetic), I could never mentally
justify the expense. Once every couple of years on business trips, I'll
end up in a hotel with one that doesn't look like an old teakettle.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
. ..
What do you like about your hot tub? What do you NOT like about it? What
brand/model do you have?

As you can tell we are looking into getting a hot tub. There are SO many
different things to think about. Any help would be so nice!

Kim

I like the ones with nekked women in them. Otherwise, they seem to be a
poor investment and little used after a few months.

There is no more seamless way to *get* a woman nekked than to suggest a
soak in the tub. Makes oafs like me look like Casanova.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 21:24:32 -0500, "Scott"
wrote:

What do you like about your hot tub? What do you NOT like about it? What
brand/model do you have?

As you can tell we are looking into getting a hot tub. There are SO many
different things to think about. Any help would be so nice!

Kim

Save the money. Build a shower outside and shower with the new bride
outside.

If you have a medical need for such a hot tub, a doctor can write a
prescription. A well documented letter from the MD is passed on to the
tax man. You have to have a need for such a situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott" wrote in message
. ..
What do you like about your hot tub? What do you NOT like about it? What
brand/model do you have?

As you can tell we are looking into getting a hot tub. There are SO many
different things to think about. Any help would be so nice!

I built my own. My recommendation, however if you want to buy one is to keep an
eye on craigslist. Here in Seattle, they are frequently offered free by people
tired of them or new homeowners.

Ozonators are nice - they signifacantly reduce the need for chlorine or bromine.

Jets and bubblers are highly overrated. I never use them. A quiet soak is much
more relaxing.

Good insulation is definately worthwhile if you use it much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 06:49:38 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hmmm,
Nothing I like. Germ brewer, chemical soup, you want to soak in it?
My neighborhood has hot tubs almost in every back yard. After initial
excitement wears out, VERY, VERY seldom I see anyone using it.
They just sit there with cover on. Hardly see anyone sitting in it.
I don't have hot tub but I have a sauna I use at least 3-4 times a week.

I agree, I have seen the same thing here. I can't say about the sauna.

I have had Hot Tubs since the early 1970's. The first one was a huge
wine cask heated by a heat exchanger on a glassblower's furnaces.
Today I have a modern Thermospas Hot Tub which is now about 10 years
old. It requires very little maintenance, and gets used 2 or 3 times a
week. My neighbors might think I don't use it very much, because

1) they can't really see it very well because of it's location and a
privacy fence.

2) I tend to use it at night or very early in the morning.

I probably average using mine just less than twice a day. There is no better
motivation to climb out of bed than a hot soak.