Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can one breathe industrial oxygen

Rich Grise wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

I have used my cutting torch oxygen in the past to get over temporary
breathing difficulties from excessive aluminum oxide dust, but I never
breathed only the bottle oxygen.
I fed it into my cupped hand to mix with air.
Still makes me nervous not knowing who might have contaminated that
bottle in the past.

Acetylene is lethal to lung tissue.

What you refer to is a mythical hazard. Putting 2,000+ PSI of pure O2 on
top of just about any contamination would be a serious hazard. If heard
similar worries about rust in an O2 cylinder, rust won't make it past
the inlet filter on the regulator and wouldn't harm you even if it did.
You simply will not get any contamination in welding grade O2 that will
harm you.

I'd tend to guess that the reason that the rule is so strict is because
when the tank goes empty, there's a non-zero chance that something other
than pharmaceutical oxygen might get into it.

And if the fill plant doesn't vacuum out that potential contamination,
particularly the most probably acetylene, before putting high pressure
pure O2 on top of it, their fill plant will go BOOM! Any traces small
enough to not be a safety problem at the fill plant are also too small
to be a safety problem breathing the O2. If acetylene was toxic enough
to harm you at a tiny fraction of a percent, welders would be dropping
dead all over the place just from turning on the acetylene to light
their torches.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." writes:

And if the fill plant doesn't vacuum out that potential contamination,
particularly the most probably acetylene, before putting high pressure
pure O2 on top of it, their fill plant will go BOOM! Any traces small
enough to not be a safety problem at the fill plant are also too small
to be a safety problem breathing the O2.

That's not the only fun you can have with compressed gas. I
recall that not once but twice, Koch Refining burned down the
CO2 plant attached to their refinery. We never figured out
how...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Lesher wrote:
"Pete C." writes:

And if the fill plant doesn't vacuum out that potential contamination,
particularly the most probably acetylene, before putting high pressure
pure O2 on top of it, their fill plant will go BOOM! Any traces small
enough to not be a safety problem at the fill plant are also too small
to be a safety problem breathing the O2.

That's not the only fun you can have with compressed gas. I
recall that not once but twice, Koch Refining burned down the
CO2 plant attached to their refinery. We never figured out
how...

Anyone heard the UL about the guy with the full scuba tank held
valve down in some kind of chain vise, and he somehow took the valve
out, and the tank turned into a rocket, went through the basement
ceiling, the upstairs ceiling, the roof, jetted around in an arc, and
embedded itself in the roof of some car?

I _do_ know that 2250 PSI (150 atmospheres) is a very formidable force.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 12, 6:34*pm, Rich Grise wrote:
David Lesher wrote:
"Pete C." writes:

[...]

Didn't you ever see "Jaws"? The shark finds out how much energy is
stored in a scuba tank.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 12, 6:34*pm, Rich Grise wrote:
Anyone heard the UL about the guy with the full scuba tank held
valve down in some kind of chain vise, and he somehow took the valve
out, and the tank turned into a rocket, went through the basement
ceiling, the upstairs ceiling, the roof, jetted around in an arc, and
embedded itself in the roof of some car?...
Rich

A girlfriend's father was a physics professor who liked to play with
such toys on his large rural farm. I've wondered if he was the cause
of some UFO sightings.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

David Lesher wrote:
"Pete C." writes:

[...]

No, but I read the OSHA report (and saw the pics) from a guy at a
medical O2 place who put a small O2 cylinder that had a stuck valve in
such a vise and proceeded to try to remove the entire valve with the O2
still in the cylinder. Instead of creating a slow leak to drain the tank
as he probably intended, he managed to get an O2/aluminum dust fire
going and blow the cylinder up, embedding most of the cylinder in one
wall and depositing the guy's arm some distance from the rest of him.
This is why the medical vs. welding grade O2 thing is a myth, you simply
do not risk putting the best oxidizer there is in pure form and under
high pressure on top of some unknown gas remaining in the cylinder.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 15:34:26 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

David Lesher wrote:
"Pete C." writes:

[...]

When I lived in Zambia I heard of a couple dangerous situations with
O2 bottles. A big one fell over at the waterworks and the valve broke
off - it went through the cement block wall like a needle through
butter.

In another case a few bottles fell off the back of a welding supply
truck. They found one several miles down the road - don't know if they
ever found the other 2.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

David Lesher wrote:
"Pete C." writes:

[...]

Yep, you don't want to be careless with that much stored energy, even if
it's inert gas.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Lesher wrote:
"Pete C." writes:

[...]

Oh, poof. That was camera tricks. ;-)

A tank that can hold 2250 PSI would probably laugh at a mere bullet,
except for maybe an armor-piercing round. But I'm guessing.

I wonder if anybody's got a definitive answer to that one? Anyone ever
actually shot a full scuba tank or other high-pressure gas cylinder?

Once, when I was in the service, I was on a detail with a couple other guys
rearranging some storage garage. There was some kind of cylinder up against
the wall; one of the guys found a sledge hammer and took a swing at the
tank. I almost had a heart attack; I _shrieked_ "NO!!!!!!" and ducked
behind some box - I didn't know I could move that fast.

He didn't shatter the tank (Thank Gawd!), but how stupid can some people be?

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Lesher wrote:
"Pete C." writes:

[...]

Mythbusters did. They found the obvious, that a bullet hole makes a nice
jet nozzle, but it doesn't cause a catastrophic cylinder failure.

Catastrophic cylinder failure comes from sustained load stress cracking
in the aluminum, primarily seen in an older alloy no longer used for the
cylinders. Those failures rip sections out of the cylinder and send them
flying through anything in their way.

Once, when I was in the service, I was on a detail with a couple other guys
rearranging some storage garage. There was some kind of cylinder up against
the wall; one of the guys found a sledge hammer and took a swing at the
tank. I almost had a heart attack; I _shrieked_ "NO!!!!!!" and ducked
behind some box - I didn't know I could move that fast.

He didn't shatter the tank (Thank Gawd!), but how stupid can some people be?

Pretty stupid. The service gets some good people, but they also get a
good number of duds who don't have any better life / job opportunities.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 18:53:01 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

He didn't shatter the tank (Thank Gawd!), but how stupid can some people be?

Good, and Who's in the Whitehouse?

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

David Lesher wrote:
"Pete C." writes:

[...]

I saw one fall out of a metal basket while being lifted onto an offshore
platform. I was on the boat. The crane operator made the pick, and the
basket was about twenty feet up off the boat deck when the bottles shifted.
One fell out, and landed, you guessed it, on the cap. It shot up in the
air, in a long arc, and landed sploosh in the water a ways away. It would
have killed anyone it hit.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

He didn't shatter the tank (Thank Gawd!), but how stupid can some people
be?

Good, and Who's in the Whitehouse?

And What's the veep?

;-)
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

Ach! I'd forgotten all about aluminum tanks! All of this thread, I've been
thinking only steel. Did mythbusters do a steel one? Wouldn't an ordinary
bullet just splatter? Armor-piercing, however, is another story, and that's
the one I'm curious about - an armor-piercing bullet into a steel tank.

Once, when I was in the service, I was on a detail with a couple other
guys rearranging some storage garage. There was some kind of cylinder up
against the wall; one of the guys found a sledge hammer and took a swing
at the tank. I almost had a heart attack; I _shrieked_ "NO!!!!!!" and
ducked behind some box - I didn't know I could move that fast.

He didn't shatter the tank (Thank Gawd!), but how stupid can some people
be?

Pretty stupid. The service gets some good people, but they also get a
good number of duds who don't have any better life / job opportunities.

Yeah, they "can't make it on the outside," much like government
bureaucrats. ;-D

Possibly interestingly, these two weenies were avionics guys, who are
supposed to be the smart ones!

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 21:02:15 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

David Lesher wrote:
"Pete C." writes:

[...]

I seem to recall a posting some years back where a submarine was
accused of firing a torpedo in harbour after the valve was knocked off
a high pressure cylinder being handled on the dock.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

David Lesher wrote:
"Pete C." writes:

[...]

My dad saw a bottle of compressed gas fall off a truck and snap off
the valve. It went about a block and then clear thru a brick wall. He
didn't know what happened beyond the brick wall.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can one breathe when laughing too hard

I don't know.
Who?
That's right. Who.
Who's in the White House?
I don't know.
I don't know who.
What?
What's on second.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rich Grise"
wrote in message

Good, and Who's in the Whitehouse?

And What's the veep?

;-)
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think the thread should be entitled "What are the effects
of breathing industrial oxygen?"

Of course, one can breathe industial oxygen. One can breathe
freon, carbon dioxide, water, hydrogen cyanaide, or argon.
Each gas provides different effects to the user.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

I don't recall whether they did both steel and aluminum. At any rate,
steel 2015 PSI cylinders aren't that thick and most any jacketed rifle
bullet will punch a very clean hole through them. A clean hole equals a
nice jet nozzle launching the cylinder around.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I think the thread should be entitled "What are the effects
of breathing industrial oxygen?"

The effects are the same as breathing medical O2.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

David Lesher wrote:
"Pete C." writes:

[...]

In the Mythbusters test their cylinder went cleanly through their test
cinderblock wall, and would have gone through the next one if there was
a little more distance for it to accelerate again after going through
the first wall.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2008/aair/ao-2008-053.aspx

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

David Lesher wrote:
"Pete writes:

[...]

Yeah. The local welding store tells a story
of a guy that tried to transfer O2 from one
cylinder to another with used hydraulic hose.

All that was left of his head was a pink mist
on the wall.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

So, oxygen is the best oxidizer? Would that make sense?

Sorry to hear that he didn't live to try again.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message

This is why the medical vs. welding grade O2 thing

is a myth, you simply
do not risk putting the best oxidizer there is in pure

form and under
high pressure on top of some unknown gas

remaining in the cylinder.

Yeah. The local welding store tells a story
of a guy that tried to transfer O2 from one
cylinder to another with used hydraulic hose.

All that was left of his head was a pink mist
on the wall.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

So, oxygen is the best oxidizer? Would that make sense?

Sorry to hear that he didn't live to try again.

Well, it's the best one for making oxides, yes. As far as an "oxidizing
agent," chemistry-class-wise, I think the best (most electronegative, or
maybe most electropositive, I forget which) is fluorine, but it's nasty
stuff in any case.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:58:53 +0000, David Lesher wrote:
"Steve B" writes:
I saw one fall out of a metal basket while being lifted onto an offshore
platform. I was on the boat. The crane operator made the pick, and the
basket was about twenty feet up off the boat deck when the bottles
shifted. One fell out, and landed, you guessed it, on the cap. It shot
up in the air, in a long arc, and landed sploosh in the water a ways
away. It would have killed anyone it hit.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2008/aair/ao-2008-053.aspx

Some people have launched a lot of cylinders ... eg, per a post near the end of
http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/lighting-filtration-other-equipment/43285-co2-dangers-safety-please-read.html
"I saw a bunch of ironworkers taking large oxygen cylinders and putting them on a
homemade ramp with the valve on the lower part of the ramp, they'd use a sledge
hammer to break off the valve and the tanks would fly over the detroit river
towards Canada. If you break off the valve, it can blow through concrete walls
in a house, through the roof, etc. it is very dangerous!."
and in http://www.siletzbay.com/Bearhawk/3.1.4-Tools-Welding 1/3 along,
"As the final work was being done on the dam there was a large cache of oxygen
and acetylene cylinders(200+) kept in a fenced area near the guard house.
Inventory began to show a shortage of 5 or 6 cylinders a day. After a lot of
finger pointing and investigation the contractor secretly setup a guard to
watch the guard. They discovered that, in his late night boredom, the security
guard would unlock the gated storage and roll several full oxygen cylinders down
to the edge of the partially filled lake. He'd point the base of the cylinder
towards the center of the lake and with a sledge hammer break the valve off.
The cylinder would rocket across the surface for several hundred yards then sink.
After they arrested the guard they dredghed the lake to find over 300 cylinders.
The cylinder supplier was surprised that the guard had been lucky enough to never
have an unguided cylinder come back his way."

Following link is completely unrelated to the above topic, but is vaguely
related to the original question about "breathing industrial oxygen."
Anyhow, in http://www.frenchriverland.com/livermore_falls.htm at a couple
of points a large tank of liquid oxygen shows up, although mis-identified as
nitrogen in one caption. Liquid oxygen is a not-breathable form of industrial
oxygen. (There's some metalwork at the link; see eg pictures with captions,
"Davis is polishing the LIMA 34's main sheave axle.", "Davis took a solid
piece of bronze stock and made the new sheave bearings.", "Bill Fay is using
thermite bars to burn the 3 inch thick cast iron head covers at Livermore
Falls" via liquid oxygen + acetylene + thermite.)

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 08:34:56 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

In the Mythbusters test their cylinder went cleanly through their test
cinderblock wall, and would have gone through the next one if there was
a little more distance for it to accelerate again after going through
the first wall.

In that same episode, Jamie was sitting in a boat in the bay when he
released the valves on two tanks pointed rearward. Boat hardly moved.
I always thought he should have positioned them below waterline for a
little more exciting ride.