Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Can one breathe industrial oxygen

wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 15:34:26 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

David Lesher wrote:
"Pete C." writes:

And if the fill plant doesn't vacuum out that potential contamination,
particularly the most probably acetylene, before putting high pressure
pure O2 on top of it, their fill plant will go BOOM! Any traces small
enough to not be a safety problem at the fill plant are also too small
to be a safety problem breathing the O2.

That's not the only fun you can have with compressed gas. I
recall that not once but twice, Koch Refining burned down the
CO2 plant attached to their refinery. We never figured out
how...

Anyone heard the UL about the guy with the full scuba tank held
valve down in some kind of chain vise, and he somehow took the valve
out, and the tank turned into a rocket, went through the basement
ceiling, the upstairs ceiling, the roof, jetted around in an arc, and
embedded itself in the roof of some car?

I _do_ know that 2250 PSI (150 atmospheres) is a very formidable force.

Thanks,
Rich

When I lived in Zambia I heard of a couple dangerous situations with
O2 bottles. A big one fell over at the waterworks and the valve broke
off - it went through the cement block wall like a needle through
butter.

In another case a few bottles fell off the back of a welding supply
truck. They found one several miles down the road - don't know if they
ever found the other 2.

Yep, you don't want to be careless with that much stored energy, even if
it's inert gas.