Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Jim is offline

Default Well, that took too long...

Tim Wescott wrote:

Just to show that real metalworking discussion happens on this group,
I'm happy to report that I took a pulley off a power steering pump today
-- after much too much time.

Problem:

Swap-meet pump has brackets that don't fit, and a stud that some @#$%
gorilla has apparently torched off.

Can't you just replace the stud. Seems like a lot less trouble than what
follows.

-jim

I spent about a year being
discouraged by the whole project, thinking I was going to have to build
brackets. All this so that I can announce to the world that I'm a wimp
who needs power steering.

(SWMBO says "power steering is a must". Doesn't she know that armstrong
steering is manly? Doesn't she care? What does she mean she's 5' 2"
and can barely reach the pedals -- doesn't she know that power steering
on a '63 Suburban isn't ORIGINAL**???)

But I was visiting my brother's storage shop a while back, and noticed
that one of the old Chevy small blocks that he keeps for rebuildable
cores has just exactly the right brackets to fit on the 327 that's in
the old Suburban that I'm restoring. "Hey Karl -- can I have that there
piece of junk that's hanging off your old engine*". The pulley's
obviously been bent in a collision, but the bracketry -- ooh, hold me back.

But I hit a snag. After happily bringing home the Pump That Will Fit
The Engine, and assessing the situation, I decide I need to swap
pulleys. I can't just put the swap meet pump into the good brackets
because of the former owner, gorilla mechanic. So the pulleys have to
be swapped. I'm encouraged by the fact that the poor old swap meet pump
has a pulley that comes right off, no problem -- but then I try the
Other One. Crap. Not only is it bent, but it's stuck and stuck good.
What to do? RCM to the rescue!

Solution:

So, penetrating oil, bang lightly with a hammer (until I bung up the
threads a bit -- oops, better stop now), more oil, try a gear puller
(wow, those pulleys sure do bend easily!). Finally get around to the
real deal today -- hit the pulley hub with a rosebud.

I had to get that frigging thing up to heat almost to the point where it
glowed. And I expected that it'd just go "BANG!" and toss my gear
puller halfway across the room from relieved tension. Oh no. Put on
the rosebud, get it up to heat -- "tick, tick". Put rosebud on other
side "tick, tick, tick". Tighten gear puller, repeat -- half a dozen
@#$% times. Finally it's off, and the gear puller does _not_ win the
unintentionally self-propelled tool distance award.

Gunner will yawn, and say that he has to do that at least once a week,
and sometimes he has far worse to contend with. I'm sure he does -- but
this was irritating enough for me.

Anyway, now I have a power steering pump that'll fit my engine, and a
crank pulley. Since the steering box is already on***, that means that
I just have to figure out how to get hoses built, and I'll have power
steering! Yay! Too bad the rest of the truck is a disaster****.

Group involvement:

All the times that someone said "Use Kroil, and if that doesn't work,
bang on it, and if that doesn't work heat it up good an hot". All of
which I knew, of course, but some people need the repetition to actually
go out and do something.

* Bargaining tip #1. Never, ever, look at something, say WHOA! THAT'S
WHAT I NEED! and fall on the floor foaming at the mouth. Even if the
owner is your brother. _Especially_ if the owner is _my_ brother.
"I'll take that smelly piece of **** off your hands for free, Karl." is
always the right approach to take with him.

** Alas, she knows that a 327 with a 4 barrel isn't original, either.

*** And that's a saga in itself -- there's a kit for that, whose
directions I followed and whose templates I trustingly used -- only to
find that it puts the box at the wrong angle; So toss _that_ POS, and
just keep the steering shaft adapter. Not all unworkable crap comes
from China!

**** The former owner -- the one who put in the 327, the Volkwagen van
seats, and the radiator from god only knows what, was obviously
convinced that he was a mechanical genius. I'm not so sure of that.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 01/08/2011 06:47 PM, jim wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

Just to show that real metalworking discussion happens on this group,
I'm happy to report that I took a pulley off a power steering pump today
-- after much too much time.

Problem:

Swap-meet pump has brackets that don't fit, and a stud that some @#$%
gorilla has apparently torched off.

Can't you just replace the stud. Seems like a lot less trouble than what
follows.

Uhh -- D'oh?

I'm not sure if I can or not, but if I can I can always go back and do
so if I did get the shaft hot enough to fry the seals (and I don't just
get a new pump, which was kind of the plan all along).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Jim is offline

Tim Wescott wrote:

Just to show that real metalworking discussion happens on this group,
I'm happy to report that I took a pulley off a power steering pump today
-- after much too much time.

Problem:

Swap-meet pump has brackets that don't fit, and a stud that some @#$%
gorilla has apparently torched off.

Can't you just replace the stud. Seems like a lot less trouble than what
follows.

Uhh -- D'oh?

I'm not sure if I can or not, but if I can I can always go back and do
so if I did get the shaft hot enough to fry the seals (and I don't just
get a new pump, which was kind of the plan all along).

Isn't the stud like the one shown in fig. 1 he

http://www.marchperf.com/instruction...structions.pdf

-jim

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

Just to show that real metalworking discussion happens on this group,
I'm happy to report that I took a pulley off a power steering pump today
-- after much too much time.

Problem:

Swap-meet pump has brackets that don't fit, and a stud that some @#$%
gorilla has apparently torched off.

Can't you just replace the stud. Seems like a lot less trouble than what
follows.

Uhh -- D'oh?

I'm not sure if I can or not, but if I can I can always go back and do
so if I did get the shaft hot enough to fry the seals (and I don't just
get a new pump, which was kind of the plan all along).

Isn't the stud like the one shown in fig. 1 he

http://www.marchperf.com/instruction...structions.pdf

Yes, it is. OK -- D'oh!

I have this problem when I do jobs -- I make a decision, then I move on.
Then things change, and I do this half-assed decision reversal. So,
in this case, I looked at the two pumps and said "I'm just not gonna use
that there swap meet pump", I'm gonna swap the pulleys instead". Then
when the bent pulley got stubborn about coming off, instead of saying
"hmm, I wonder if I can take that stud off" I just stuck with the
earlier decision to not use that particular pump.

At any rate it's not an expensive decision -- I greased the pulley when
I put it on this pump, so it should come off pretty easy. And even if
it doesn't, they're both pumps that no self-respecting junkyard would
take, so any sane person would just swap them for a good rebuild anyway.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
I have this problem when I do jobs -- I make a decision, then I move on.
Then things change, and I do this half-assed decision reversal. So, in
this case, I looked at the two pumps and said "I'm just not gonna use
that there swap meet pump", I'm gonna swap the pulleys instead". Then
when the bent pulley got stubborn about coming off, instead of saying
"hmm, I wonder if I can take that stud off" I just stuck with the
earlier decision to not use that particular pump.

Oh, yeah ... I'm familiar with that scenario. 8-( If I ever get wise
enough to overcome it, I'll put a sign out front: "Guru - any problem
solved".

What I have learned to do, and it works as a back-door way to avoid it
(sometimes), is walk away when I hit a major obstacle. If I let it sit
awhile, reconsideration of the original decision can creep in.
Otherwise impatience to get around the current obstacle usually
predominates.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 18:36:16 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

I've been working on my back-up vehicle for days now and I constantly
go over and over the best way to accomplish the task to the point of
forgetting which way I had decided on while doing it. Talk about
seats, I put in bucket seats in instead of the ole bench, did it in my
other Toy truck and loved it. The grill was held on with one tie strap
and all the clips missing ,worn ,or broken. Found a very poor attempt
at a kill switch, burnt wires. Oh yeah, the guy I got it from was a
big time bible thumper and tested my professionalism to the max. and
yesterday I found his church key hiding place, he's probably still
trying to figure out where it went. Found a cig. lighter and went to
put it in and that guy had taken the guts out along with the missing
ash tray, he wanted no one ever to smoke in that truck. Been years
looking for the ash tray cause like other Toy stuff the one I did get
from a junk yard is about 1/2" too big. Finally put in a thermostat,
wonder if that will fix the fast idle, or its the ole carb cleaner in
the emission sticking parts. Got one vehicle that idles to slow and
one too fast.

Most of the time I think too much, like I have to see it through to
the end mentally before I start. For the really big problems I think
about it all the way to falling asleep and the second I wake up I
usually have a good plan. Some times I try to stick strictly to
priorities, but if things seem be hopeless I change to a random scale
on the list till I figure out how to get past the other problem. Which
explains why I have a large overarm arbor support for a horizontal
milling machine in the middle of my work bench at the moment.

Over thinking it drives me crazy at times, like it use to while
figuring out how to fix/build really complex swimming pools solo.
That's another thing, I always work alone and it can be a real pain to
accomplish things.

Anyone one happen to know how to remove clear coat? Straight ZEP is
the best I can come up with at the moment. Ruined the paint job on a
step mom's car once like that, dad said he wanted it REALLY clean...
Only 70% of one quarter panel is still adhered and doesn't match the
vegas baked paint of the rest of the truck.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I have this problem when I do jobs -- I make a decision, then I move on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for responding, but you don't understand. 93% of the truck is
powder dull factory paint and 7% clear coat shiny. The clear coat is
coming off from the top down at about 2" inches per year on only one
fender. If I could accelerate the clear coats demise, then I could rub
the whole truck down with ajax in the summer and then wax it. Then it
will be more acceptable looking to me.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:45:42 -0600, Sunworshipper
wrote:

Thanks for responding, but you don't understand. 93% of the truck is
powder dull factory paint and 7% clear coat shiny. The clear coat is
coming off from the top down at about 2" inches per year on only one
fender. If I could accelerate the clear coats demise, then I could rub
the whole truck down with ajax in the summer and then wax it. Then it
will be more acceptable looking to me.

SW

Had the same problem with a 40 ft. sailboat and luckily a professional
car painter had moored close by. He had a look at things and told me
that I could try with the real fine sandpaper and the buffing compound
and also told me that regardless of what I did that I would finally
bite the bullet and decide to re-paint.... So why nor just do it now
rather then spend time and money and then decide to do it anyway?
Cheers,

John D. Slocomb
(jdslocombatgmail)

A Long Long Tale of B&Q Mixer Taps michael adams[_3_] UK diy 3 October 28th 09 10:59 PM
8' long rip on TS MikeWhy Woodworking 42 December 18th 08 06:01 PM
Not For Too Long Tom Watson Woodworking 1 April 28th 06 03:27 AM
How long does it take? Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 28 January 26th 06 04:10 AM
Shock well - how long is too long? S.L. Home Ownership 1 January 16th 05 10:43 PM