Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Computer question OT

(Marked OT because it is not metal or political related)

I updated Google Earth. My old update had a starting point in Las Vegas, as
I use Google Earth a lot for measuring real estate. I could type the cross
streets into it, and it would "fly" to that location. With this new update,
it doesn't. I've been through the tabs, and I cannot get it to do this
again. Anyone help?

Thanks.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
(Marked OT because it is not metal or political related)

I updated Google Earth. My old update had a starting point in Las Vegas, as
I use Google Earth a lot for measuring real estate. I could type the cross
streets into it, and it would "fly" to that location. With this new update,
it doesn't. I've been through the tabs, and I cannot get it to do this
again. Anyone help?

Thanks.

Steve

Try setting the default location on the Google home page?

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
(Marked OT because it is not metal or political related)

I updated Google Earth. My old update had a starting point in Las Vegas,
as
I use Google Earth a lot for measuring real estate. I could type the
cross
streets into it, and it would "fly" to that location. With this new
update,
it doesn't. I've been through the tabs, and I cannot get it to do this
again. Anyone help?

Thanks.

Steve

Try setting the default location on the Google home page?

--
Steve W.

Went through the tabs, and changed some settings, and now it works. Go
figger. For the real estate work I do, the instant "go to" is a big time
saver. Sometimes I hate the updates, as I am used to the old version, and
know where everything is, and how it all works. Which I then have to
relearn with the new version.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
"Steve W." wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
[...]

Like I tell folks about other software. Unless you have to update the
software DON'T.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Computer question OT, updating software----

Amen.
In my book, HP gets the laurels for being the worst at screwing
things up with updates. Synamtec used to be my first choice, but
lately they have gotten a LOT better.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------

Steve W. wrote:
snip

Like I tell folks about other software. Unless you have to update the
software DON'T.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 14, 10:58*pm, "Steve W." wrote:
Like I tell folks about other software. Unless you have to update the
software DON'T.
Steve W.

And if you DO have to:
http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...l.asp?swid=119
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...ads/discwizard

I make a bootable CD to run the program and save the backups to a
second internal or USB hard drive.
For several reasons restored backups may not work on other computers
but those two are excellent for recovering from almost any impropriety
on the original machine.

If you use these you may want your personal files on the second drive,
to keep C: and its backups small. If you turn off Simpleminded File
Sharing in Folder OptionsView you can set permissions to access them
from any login. Then you can back up your files to another drive
easily. Copy C:\* doesn't work because the OS keeps its working files
open.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 15, 7:55*pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:
... I make a bootable CD to run the program and save the backups to a
second internal or USB hard drive....
jsw

That's misleading. You can back up C: by running the program as an
Administrator within Windows. The bootable CD is for restoring a
backup of C: to a new or corrupted hard drive.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had CD and DVD as backups - e.g. the CD first and then it asks
for the DVD.

Rocked on for several years - new stuff on CD's.

Lost a disk controller chip slowly - thought it was a flaky disk.
Bought a new disk and it was flaky.

Tried to use the restore method - CD then DVD. Only, the xxx software
wanted only CD's after the first one.

Installed a new motherboard - put in disks and they were working.
New os on the system.

Martin

On 12/15/2010 6:55 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Dec 14, 10:58 pm, "Steve wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 15, 10:12*pm, Martin Eastburn
wrote:
On 12/15/2010 6:55 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

jsw

Tried to use the restore method - CD then DVD. *Only, the xxx software
wanted only CD's after the first one.

Installed a new motherboard - put in disks and they were working.
New os on the system.
Martin

One gotcha is that the disk controller driver loads and runs before
Plug&Play so the backup and mobo controllers need to be compatible, or
you can load the standard driver before making the backup.

I originally backed up to multiple DVDs. If one won't read correctly
the backup is worthless. That's why I switched to USB drives.

jsw

OT- Computer Question Bob Miller Metalworking 7 November 30th 07 06:09 PM
Computer question (OT, of course) cavelamb himself[_4_] Metalworking 65 November 13th 07 05:06 PM
Computer question Charlie East Electronics Repair 19 January 14th 07 10:55 PM
computer question SteveB Home Repair 20 November 27th 05 03:27 PM
computer question SteveB Metalworking 8 November 26th 05 08:06 PM