Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Nomex coveralls and welding (warning: on-topic metalworking content)

I bought an inexpensive set of Nomex coveralls from eBay. They ran
about $40 and are about as thick as light denim. I have been wearing
these cuvs while using the 'new' welder. But have read several posts
about folks wearing heavy denim or leather for welding.

What are your thoughts on such cuvs? I've not seen any sunburn
("weldburn") anywhere on me. The only downside I can see is that
they're a bit tight to get into. Gotta hold my arms waaaay back like
THIS to get into them. :-) I should have ordered a size larger.
--
Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-11, Terry wrote:
I bought an inexpensive set of Nomex coveralls from eBay. They ran
about $40 and are about as thick as light denim. I have been wearing
these cuvs while using the 'new' welder. But have read several posts
about folks wearing heavy denim or leather for welding.

What are your thoughts on such cuvs? I've not seen any sunburn
("weldburn") anywhere on me. The only downside I can see is that
they're a bit tight to get into. Gotta hold my arms waaaay back like
THIS to get into them. :-) I should have ordered a size larger.

Any regular heavy cloth, like denim, works for me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:13:57 -0600, Terry wrote:

I bought an inexpensive set of Nomex coveralls from eBay. They ran
about $40 and are about as thick as light denim. I have been wearing
these cuvs while using the 'new' welder. But have read several posts
about folks wearing heavy denim or leather for welding.

What are your thoughts on such cuvs? I've not seen any sunburn
("weldburn") anywhere on me. The only downside I can see is that
they're a bit tight to get into. Gotta hold my arms waaaay back like
THIS to get into them. :-) I should have ordered a size larger.

Shrug..I wear leather and a backless jacket with leather sleeves.

Hot **** may not set your nomex on fire..but it still passes the heat
pretty well. Leather passes much less....

Gunner

Top 10 Democrat Party Slogans

10. Bitterly clinging to aborton and taxes
9. We didnt destroy your freedoms, you can
visit them at the Smithstonian
8. If you want us to listen to your opinion, move to Europ
7. Someday none of this will be yours
6. We can't tax terrorism, so who cares?
5. Please don't vote us out!! None of us can hold a real job!
4. Why the Founding Fathers limited Government:
Racism!
3. Reducing America's carbon footprint, one job at a time.
2. America: We just cant wait to see how it ends!!
1. Making everything in this country free, except you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

[...]

Reply:
Nomex works great. Why fire crews wear nomex shirts. But for my welding,
I use a backless leather vest with apron in the winter and a green cotton
welders jacket in the warm months.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I bought an inexpensive set of Nomex coveralls from eBay. They ran
about $40 and are about as thick as light denim. I have been wearing
these cuvs while using the 'new' welder. But have read several posts
about folks wearing heavy denim or leather for welding.

What are your thoughts on such cuvs? I've not seen any sunburn
("weldburn") anywhere on me. The only downside I can see is that
they're a bit tight to get into. Gotta hold my arms waaaay back like
THIS to get into them. :-) I should have ordered a size larger.

Little known safety measure for welders: cover your ears if there is
any danger of sparks jumping around close to your head......like
overhead torch cutting or welding.

I had a pretty good spark jump right into my ear while cutting once.
Fortunately, it didn't progress to the ear drum itself. It just landed
in the big divot that funnels into the ear drum......and burned like a
m*****f*****.

I swear pretty goodly usually, but I surpassed even my own self on
that occasion. That is an extremely sensitive area in there and it
HURT BAD.

Eye protection AND ear protection.
Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 11, 9:13*am, Terry wrote:
I bought an inexpensive set of Nomex coveralls from eBay. *They ran
about $40 and are about as thick as light denim. *I have been wearing
these cuvs while using the 'new' welder. *But have read several posts
about folks wearing heavy denim or leather for welding.

What are your thoughts on such cuvs? *I've not seen any sunburn
("weldburn") anywhere on me. *The only downside I can see is that
they're a bit tight to get into. *Gotta hold my arms waaaay back like
THIS to get into them. :-) *I should have ordered a size larger.
--
Best -- Terry

Might be good UNDER leather, I'd still be wearing my full apron and
cape. Sparks and spatter will bounce off leather and it's got a
certain amount of insulating ability there, I've got my doubts about
Nomex, particularly with no backing. Also, how well does it stand up
to grinding sparks? Those have been the cause of more holes in my
shirts than anything else.

Stan