Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
isw isw is offline

Default Flux for silver braze

I have a little "kit" from Alpha Metals that I got years ago (and sadly,
I don't think they're available any more). It has a roll of silver-braze
wire and a tube of flux. Originally, the flux was creamy, but over time
it's gotten so stiff that I can't squeeze it out of the tube, plus, it
seems to have grown some crystals that make it hard to work with.

The flux contains potassium fluoride and potassium fluoroborate; is
there some way to "rejuvenate" it? I tried mixing some with a bit of
water, but that didn't seem to work so well.

Alternately, is there another easy-to-get flux I could use? I only
rarely need to silver-braze anything, so I don't need/want a gallon jug
of something...

thanks

Isaac
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Isaac,

Do a Google for Handy & Harmon.

I get

http://www.lucasmilhaupt.com/en-US/products/fluxes/handyfluxes/13/

but that's because I'm in Canada. Have a look at the different fluxes
they offer, some of which are a powder to be mixed with water.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 11:13:14 -0700, isw wrote:

I have a little "kit" from Alpha Metals that I got years ago (and sadly,
I don't think they're available any more). It has a roll of silver-braze
wire and a tube of flux. Originally, the flux was creamy, but over time
it's gotten so stiff that I can't squeeze it out of the tube, plus, it
seems to have grown some crystals that make it hard to work with.

The flux contains potassium fluoride and potassium fluoroborate; is
there some way to "rejuvenate" it? I tried mixing some with a bit of
water, but that didn't seem to work so well.

Alternately, is there another easy-to-get flux I could use? I only
rarely need to silver-braze anything, so I don't need/want a gallon jug
of something...

thanks

Isaac

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 25, 11:13*am, isw wrote:
I have a little "kit" from Alpha Metals that I got years ago (and sadly,
I don't think they're available any more). It has a roll of silver-braze
wire and a tube of flux. Originally, the flux was creamy, but over time
it's gotten so stiff that I can't squeeze it out of the tube, plus, it
seems to have grown some crystals that make it hard to work with.

The flux contains potassium fluoride and potassium fluoroborate

I've heard it called 'soldering salts'; it will soften with water, but
after you apply it, you'll just have to drive off the water
anyhow (the less water, the better). The only easy way to get
a little more flux (if it's in a tube, the mix-water-in step is
difficult) is to find an arts store that has jewelry-making supplies.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 25, 12:13*pm, isw wrote:
I have a little "kit" from Alpha Metals that I got years ago (and sadly,
I don't think they're available any more). It has a roll of silver-braze
wire and a tube of flux. Originally, the flux was creamy, but over time
it's gotten so stiff that I can't squeeze it out of the tube, plus, it
seems to have grown some crystals that make it hard to work with.

The flux contains potassium fluoride and potassium fluoroborate; is
there some way to "rejuvenate" it? I tried mixing some with a bit of
water, but that didn't seem to work so well.

Alternately, is there another easy-to-get flux I could use? I only
rarely need to silver-braze anything, so I don't need/want a gallon jug
of something...

thanks

Isaac

Most of that stuff is water-based, you could cut the tube open, dump
the contents into a small beaker, add a little water and heat it up.
You'll need the heat. Once you've got it back to a creamy stage, stick
it in a wide-mouth jar. Or just go see what your local weld-supply
shop has. Go easy on the water, what you add in has to be driven off
when you use it. The flux I've gotten usually comes in a jar, have
never seen stuff in a tube. Easy to heat up a filler rod and dip it
in. Also water is easy to add. The jars are usually about 4-6 oz.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 25, 1:13*pm, isw wrote:
I have a little "kit" from Alpha Metals that I got years ago (and sadly,
I don't think they're available any more). It has a roll of silver-braze
wire and a tube of flux. Originally, the flux was creamy, but over time
it's gotten so stiff that I can't squeeze it out of the tube, plus, it
seems to have grown some crystals that make it hard to work with.

The flux contains potassium fluoride and potassium fluoroborate; is
there some way to "rejuvenate" it? I tried mixing some with a bit of
water, but that didn't seem to work so well.

Alternately, is there another easy-to-get flux I could use? I only
rarely need to silver-braze anything, so I don't need/want a gallon jug
of something...

thanks

Isaac

FWIW, I used plain old borax dissolved in water for silver soldering
in jewelery work for years without problems. I have tried to revive
commercial flux and have always been unsuccessful

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/25/2010 7:02 PM, Gerry wrote:
On Oct 25, 1:13 pm, wrote:
[...]

I use Borax on gold and silver without a problem; the
fluoride-containing fluxes are pretty toxic though they do work well.
You could always drop in at your local jeweler's holding a small jar and
wearing a smile....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 25, 7:02*pm, Gerry wrote:

Alternately, is there another easy-to-get flux I could use? I only
rarely need to silver-braze anything, so I don't need/want a gallon jug
of something...

thanks

Isaac

FWIW, I used plain old borax dissolved in water for silver soldering
in jewelery work for years without problems. I have tried to revive
commercial flux and have always been unsuccessful

Plain old Borax will work well. It is not as aggressive as fluxes
with florides. So clean the metal well. You can get it in a lot of
grocery stores in 4 plus lb boxes. Just put a bunch in a jar with a
lid and use the rest in the laundry.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 25, 1:13 pm, wrote:
[...]

Or just go to the local supermarket, and buy some laundry borax! Mix to a
paste with water to use. It's cheap, it works, and you get a lot of it in a
box. I have been using it for over 50 years

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
isw isw is offline

In article
,
Gerry wrote:

On Oct 25, 1:13*pm, isw wrote:
[...]

I like the borax idea; I'll try that. I didn't heat the mix when I added
water to what I have; I'll try that too.

thanks

Isaac