Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
AndrewV

Default silver braze/ pin hole leak

also posted to sci.engr.joining.welding

I have some boiler piping that developed a pinhole leak in a BI fitting. I
can gain access to the inside of the fitting (one end of a "T") but it would
require tons more
work to remove it for replacement. The rest of the piping is a mix of copper
w/sweat fittings and threaded BI. What I'd like to do is put a dab of silver
braze (or other braze) on the pinhole from the inside. providing the fitting
is not riddled with corrosion I was thinking the following.. drill the
pinhole, clean it in & out , heat & flux & braze. I'm thinking silver braze
(Harris 56%) because I have some (1/32") but I welcome any suggestions on
filler type, flux & tech. I figure since the leak is in the pipe and not the
boiler this should work ok, also many of the pipes are soldered so the braze
should be plenty strong.

Thoughts & suggestions ?

Andrew

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi, Andrew.
I don't quite understand the problem. Is the leak in boiler tubing or
is it in a fitting for the tubing?

If the leak is in the tubing, what material is the tubing that allows
corrosion? I guess I would think about capping the leak using a method
my father showed me years ago on a water pipe leak under the concrete
driveway. Clean the area around the leak and put a saddle on the area
and screw it together tightly. In my case, I had to also put a plug in
the saddle connection.

In your case, can you make a saddle out of brass, cut it in two and
then bolt it back together around the pipe? Sure would beat trying to
fix it from the inside!

Let us know what works!

Paul

AndrewV wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

It is unusual to have one pinhole in an otherwise sound fitting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 06:14:47 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

It is unusual to have one pinhole in an otherwise sound fitting.

and difficult to adequately braze the interior of a rusty fitting with
an open pipe on the other end. . . .

My own stupid electrical question / filling hole in concrete floor bent Woodworking 21 March 17th 06 12:11 AM
Idea for cribbage board hole jig Oleg Lego Woodworking 20 January 30th 06 05:38 AM
Leak Ender 2000 Mikey Home Repair 15 January 20th 06 03:29 AM
basement concrete wall hole leaks morenuf Home Repair 6 November 23rd 05 04:19 PM
water leak through plumbing hole in the basement SS Home Repair 3 November 1st 05 03:15 PM