Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Scientific Calculator

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

Hmm, I had a Heathkit VTVM (I may still have it, but I'd have to dig
through the garage to find it). I remember it as being fairly easy to
assemble, but nowhere near just one hour... don't remember the price
comparison.

The kit was something like $18, and a RCA 'Senior Voltohmist' was
about $100. If you went to HP or GR, it was several hundred dollars.

As far as working quickly, I was able to work a lot faster than any
tech in the shop. Until the Carpal Tunnel set in. Now I have trouble
not dropping small tools.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

I remember the legend (everybody knows this is true, but I don't
remember ever seeing an actual statement from Heathkit about it) that
they tested their instructions by giving a kit to a secretary or
somebody on the loading dock. Whenever the tester had a question, an
instruction got clarified. Repeat until no questions.

I used to write & update test procedures where I worked. I like to
grab a tech who had never worked with that board/module/assembly and see
what problems they had. Most of the time it was just that they didn't
bother to read the step that was giving them problems. Like one who
complained about a test fixture I built. It had a pair of jacks for the
meter probes and a 12 position rotary switch to set up each test. The
dumb ass opened the fixture wand was ripping it apart because he like
the old way the test was done. The new fixture was more accurate, and
took about seven to ten minutes. The original took over an hour.

enough left over to pay them.