Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fire-safe low power space heater?

I would like to find/make etc a space heater, I would say 200 watts,
that would be completely fire safe (say, I could surround it with
paper and it still would not start a fire). How would I accomplish
this?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus12853 wrote:

I would like to find/make etc a space heater, I would say 200 watts,
that would be completely fire safe (say, I could surround it with
paper and it still would not start a fire). How would I accomplish
this?

Buy a GoldenRod (it's a brand name - there may be generics) piano
dehumidification and/or winter storage at summer homes heater, or at
least that's what I've typically seen them used for.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12853 wrote:

I would like to find/make etc a space heater, I would say 200 watts,
that would be completely fire safe (say, I could surround it with
paper and it still would not start a fire). How would I accomplish
this?

IC (insulated ceiling rated) recessed light fixture(s). Inexpensive,
thermostatically protected, rated for insulation contact with the
housing, etc. Just look at the lamp ratings and if the limit is lower
than you want, use two of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus12853" wrote in message
I would like to find/make etc a space heater, I would say 200 watts,
that would be completely fire safe (say, I could surround it with
paper and it still would not start a fire). How would I accomplish
this?

You could surround it with bricks such as thermal storage heaters are built.
I wouldn't say they are completely safe but I have had paper and cloth on
top of mine and never gave it a thought.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 09:15:49 -0500, Ignoramus12853
wrote:

I would like to find/make etc a space heater, I would say 200 watts,
that would be completely fire safe (say, I could surround it with
paper and it still would not start a fire). How would I accomplish
this?

A friend of mine makes bird incubators for his bird club (and others.)
He buys the long, 1" diameter, squirrelcage style of fan with heating
elements attached. We saw the distributor at WESTPAK a decade ago;
I've forgotten the supplier name.

Sumpin like this: http://fwd4.me/UpR

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12853 wrote:
I would like to find/make etc a space heater, I would say 200 watts,
that would be completely fire safe (say, I could surround it with
paper and it still would not start a fire). How would I accomplish
this?

Oil heaters. Not the ones that burn oil,
the electric ones that look like the old
steam radiators. They have oil sealed inside
and a heating element in the bottom.

Or 2 100 watt light bulbs in a metal box.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 09:15:49 -0500, Ignoramus12853 wrote:

I would like to find/make etc a space heater, I would say 200 watts, that
would be completely fire safe (say, I could surround it with paper and it
still would not start a fire). How would I accomplish this?

Make sure its output temp. can never exceed, say, 160°F. Or pick any
number; paper flashes at 451°F, at least according to Ray Bradbury. ;-)

When it's 55°F outside, I'd be happy with air heated to 80°F, but 120°F
will get the chill off faster. And a hot toddy can really enhance the
warming effect. ;-)

Good Luck!
Rich