Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Will it be fire safe? (electric question)

The electricity cupboard is at floor level in my hall. I just noticed today
that the bottom has an openning of around 10cm x 10cm into the void under
the floor to allow for the cables to feed through. The floor is suspended,
and the cupboard door is not very tight, allowing for draft to come through.

Will if be safe (is it allowed) to stuff some rockwool in the opening? The
way the cupboard is built it will probably require to fit a new one rather
than replace the door, so I cannot see myself doing it very soon.

TIA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
The electricity cupboard is at floor level in my hall. I just noticed
today that the bottom has an openning of around 10cm x 10cm into the void
under the floor to allow for the cables to feed through. The floor is
suspended, and the cupboard door is not very tight, allowing for draft to
come through.

Will if be safe (is it allowed) to stuff some rockwool in the opening?
The way the cupboard is built it will probably require to fit a new one
rather than replace the door, so I cannot see myself doing it very soon.

TIA.

If you put too much insulation around the cables you are supposed to de-rate
them. How much depends on how many, how much insulation, load, etc. so it
varies. I doubt if you would need to worry if you stuck 2" of Rockwool
around the hole.
It wouldn't burn as such anyway as PVC is self extinguishing and Rockwool
doesn't burn but it would be expensive to fix if it all melted into one
lump.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message

[...]

If its only a few inches it makes no difference, copper is very
thermally conductive.

NT