Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Economics of end mill sharpening

Someone is offering me a lot of appx. 300 lbs of used HSS endmills,
which are neatly sorted by size and need resharpening, for $75.

Let's say that I had an end mill sharpener like a Darex V90 or
whatever. Realistically, how long does it take to resharpen an end
mill (I would hire someone) and how much can I get per dozen of
"professionally" sharpened end mills, say in 1/4" size.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6607 wrote:
Someone is offering me a lot of appx. 300 lbs of used HSS endmills,
which are neatly sorted by size and need resharpening, for $75.

Let's say that I had an end mill sharpener like a Darex V90 or
whatever. Realistically, how long does it take to resharpen an end
mill (I would hire someone) and how much can I get per dozen of
"professionally" sharpened end mills, say in 1/4" size.

For the hobbyist they may have a value but a commercial shop would
probably have no use for them because of them being undersized from the
sharpening. Unless you can hold the size to within a tenth or two you
must reprogram the cutter comp for each end mill as compared to using
new end mills that are right on size.

The small 1/4 in end mills are not worth that much. Larger ones over
3/4 inch start to become economical to sharpen because of the higher
replacement cost.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-03, John wrote:
Ignoramus6607 wrote:
[...]

Maybe that's why they are dumping 400 lbs of end mills.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

However, endmill diameter is not so important when used on manual milling machines. More important to users like myself is the
material they are made of. I will resharpen cobalt hss alloy (M35/M42) and throw the rest away, including carbide.
Steve

Maybe that's why they are dumping 400 lbs of end mills.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus6607" wrote in message
Someone is offering me a lot of appx. 300 lbs of used HSS endmills,
which are neatly sorted by size and need resharpening, for $75.

Let's say that I had an end mill sharpener like a Darex V90 or
whatever. Realistically, how long does it take to resharpen an end
mill (I would hire someone) and how much can I get per dozen of
"professionally" sharpened end mills, say in 1/4" size.

We figure the cost of tooling into every job and the saving usually aren't
worth the chance of ruining or reworking a part. I can't remember using an
end mill larger than 1/2", anything larger is indexable. They used to be
expensive and resharpening them was common. No more! But, if I "fell" into
a good sharpener, I'd do them for in-house use. I'd say used, sharpened end
mills @1/4" are worth maybe $10/dz.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-03, Buerste wrote:

"Ignoramus6607" wrote in message
Someone is offering me a lot of appx. 300 lbs of used HSS endmills,
which are neatly sorted by size and need resharpening, for $75.

Let's say that I had an end mill sharpener like a Darex V90 or
whatever. Realistically, how long does it take to resharpen an end
mill (I would hire someone) and how much can I get per dozen of
"professionally" sharpened end mills, say in 1/4" size.

We figure the cost of tooling into every job and the saving usually aren't
worth the chance of ruining or reworking a part. I can't remember using an
end mill larger than 1/2", anything larger is indexable. They used to be
expensive and resharpening them was common. No more! But, if I "fell" into
a good sharpener, I'd do them for in-house use. I'd say used, sharpened end
mills @1/4" are worth maybe $10/dz.

Thanks, nice and solid number, something to work with. I would be
unlikely to do anything those used endmills. Sweeping floors at
Burger King would probably be more profitable. I could buy and scrap
them for a quick buck though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6607 writes:

how much can I get ...

If you can't make more money metalworking, versus sharpening metalworking
tools, then you're in the wrong line of work altogether. I don't mean
grinding a custom tool for a certain job, but doing it in bulk like you
contemplate.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-03, John wrote:
Ignoramus6607 wrote:
[...]

The other thing to consider is that an endmill that seems dull to a
professional might be serviceable for a hobbyist. You could sort out the
really bad ones and sell the remainder on ebay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6607 fired this volley in
:

Let's say that I had an end mill sharpener like a Darex V90 or
whatever. Realistically, how long does it take to resharpen an end
mill (I would hire someone) and how much can I get per dozen of
"professionally" sharpened end mills, say in 1/4" size.

First off, Ig, the 1/4" mills won't be 1/4" once sharpened, unless you're
only touching up the ends.

My guess is that used endmills _from_someone_else_, regardless of
condition, are almost worthless commercially, but might have some decent
value (say 40% of new) to hobbyists. Most shops willing to use re-
sharpened mills are having their own done. About the only way to tell if
a mill has been properly re-ground is to cut with it, unless you have the
optical stuff and the knowlege to inspect them.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

While your question is more one of how can you make a buck off 300
lbs. of dull end mills, I for one will choose a reground end mill most
of the time. I have several reasons for this.

If I am milling on the edge of a piece of material it makes no
difference to me if the end mill is .005 undersize.

If I am milling a pocket or milling a surface being a little smaller
makes no difference either.

If I am milling a slot, an end mill tends to walk a bit so the slot
becomes a little bit wider, an undersize end mill will often allow me
to take a larger cut and keep the slot from widening too much. Also,
when I finish the slot to size, I only have one side rubbing, so it is
easier to get a better finish and predict the behavior of the cutter.

So unless the price of a new one is more than sharpening go for the
regrind. Usually however the tool grinding shop will beat replacement
every time.

Iggy, you might find a sharpener in your area that will either take
the dull ones off your hands with no effort or give you a deal on bulk
sharpening. I worked for a tool and die maker that had a fixture to
dress the end but usually he would just collect a dozen before he
would drop them off at the sharpener. Of course the economics may
have changed since then, but I suspect that a good quality end mill is
most always worth sharpening.

Roger Shoaf

Ignoramus6607 wrote:
Someone is offering me a lot of appx. 300 lbs of used HSS endmills,
which are neatly sorted by size and need resharpening, for $75.

Let's say that I had an end mill sharpener like a Darex V90 or
whatever. Realistically, how long does it take to resharpen an end
mill (I would hire someone) and how much can I get per dozen of
"professionally" sharpened end mills, say in 1/4" size.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
fired this volley in
:

Let's say that I had an end mill sharpener like a Darex V90 or
whatever. Realistically, how long does it take to resharpen an end
mill (I would hire someone) and how much can I get per dozen of
"professionally" sharpened end mills, say in 1/4" size.

First off, Ig, the 1/4" mills won't be 1/4" once sharpened, unless you're
only touching up the ends.

My guess is that used endmills _from_someone_else_, regardless of
condition, are almost worthless commercially, but might have some decent
value (say 40% of new) to hobbyists. Most shops willing to use re-
sharpened mills are having their own done. About the only way to tell if
a mill has been properly re-ground is to cut with it, unless you have the
optical stuff and the knowlege to inspect them.

LLoyd

If you are running a long job and using an M42 or carbide endmill and
have a company that resharpens on a cnc grinder and will recoat the tin
on them you can save half the cost of new ones but they all have to be
the exact same diameter and length when ground or you have made yourself
a headache.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 21:37:49 -0500, Ignoramus6607
wrote:

Someone is offering me a lot of appx. 300 lbs of used HSS endmills,
which are neatly sorted by size and need resharpening, for $75.

Let's say that I had an end mill sharpener like a Darex V90 or
whatever. Realistically, how long does it take to resharpen an end
mill (I would hire someone) and how much can I get per dozen of
"professionally" sharpened end mills, say in 1/4" size.

Hey Iggy,

You've had quite a few good pro and con replies so far, mostly "con".
I don't do any end-mill sharpening for myself (not qualified!!). On
the other hand, 75 bucks for 400 pounds sounds tempting, even if you
only sorted out 100 good ones. And if there is any of it in the
batch, carbide scrap is going for about $6.50 per pound
....http://www.jtsmach.com/jtswebshop/scrap_carbide.asp

One question I would be asking before you consider anything else, is
what quantity of the end mills are "plain", versus those with corner
radius or ball-noses and other special shapes or those that may be
broken, any of which may not be "doable" to sharpen on the Darex.

A friend of mine in tool & die the has a nice Cincinnati Universal T&C
grinder with an air-bearing end-mill holder. He will sharpen larger
ones for his shop, say over 3/4", or down to 1/2" if they are special
like really long... (read expensive)... and then just changes the tool
size description in the tool CNC library/changer, and that way it
doesn't change "offsets" (which have a slightly different CNC
programming purpose). They don't diddle with sharpening standard
smaller stuff, and make the special small stuff with a Deckel SO to
suit the job, mostly for draft on carbon for EDM.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 3, 1:06*am, Ignoramus6607
Someone is offering me a lot of appx. 300 lbs of used HSS endmills,
which are neatly sorted by size and need resharpening, for $75.

$75 is cheap for Christmas presents for all your helpful friends here
on R.C.M.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RS at work" wrote in message
[...]

The issue I see is that if you use an edge finder or a dro, you've got more
math to do. It's too easy to screw it up. But, resharpened mill certainly
have their place and value, just not so much in a production or precision
situation. What's the cost of a part that needs to be fixed or pitched?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 23:37:49 -0400, John
wrote:

Ignoramus6607 wrote:
[...]

Maybe I'm just a little bit weird, but I actually LIKE when an endmill
is just a little undersize....

.....as an example, if I am using a 3/8" endmill and the print is
actually calling for a 3/16" corner radius, if I just use the 3/8", I
may end up with chatter in the corner....

....but if I use a resharpened 3/8....it'll likely be around .360" and
all I need to do is change the tool diameter in the tool setup and I'm
done.

That gives me the strength and chip load of a 3/8 while being
undersize just enough to generate the radius rather than forming it.

And yes, I'm talking about in a commercial setting.

The only real drawback to it is that if there was any coating...TiN,
TiAlN, whathaveyou...it's largely ineffective.

Luck

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-03, Buerste wrote:

"RS at work" wrote in message
While your question is more one of how can you make a buck off 300
lbs. of dull end mills, I for one will choose a reground end mill most
of the time. I have several reasons for this.

If I am milling on the edge of a piece of material it makes no
difference to me if the end mill is .005 undersize.

[ ... ]

The issue I see is that if you use an edge finder or a dro, you've got more
math to do. It's too easy to screw it up. But, resharpened mill certainly
have their place and value, just not so much in a production or precision
situation. What's the cost of a part that needs to be fixed or pitched?

And -- if it is a three-flute or a five-flute end mill -- how do
you measure the diameter?

Yes -- there are special V-anvil micrometers for such
measurements, one for the three-flute and one for the five-flute. Do
*you* have them? (I do -- but I collect tools, so I perhaps don't
count. :-)

But these special micrometers are expensive too -- especially if
you need to purchase them new. :-) (Unless you need the three-flute and
the five-flute versions to measure ground cylindrical surfaces for lobes
taking them off truly cylindrical. A standard micrometer won't see
these particular errors.

Of course --you could skip the edge finder and find your zero
with the old cigarette wrapping paper trick instead, which would include
the change in diameter in the setting -- for that *one* edge. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus6607 wrote:
[...]

I cut a lot of keyways and do them in on pass. A resharpened end mill
makes a project out of it.
If you know how much was taken off the endmill when it was reground you
can easily program for the smaller diameter but then if you happen to
have a new endmill in the holder... whoops. By the way you can get
regrounds recoated from some of the larger resharpen places.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-03, wrote:

"RS at wrote in message
[...]

When I used to have to use regrinds with odd numbered flutes, I'd clamp
the shank in a V-block on the granite table, put an indicator on the OD
of the shank, then pick up the reground edge with the indicator which
would give me the difference in the radius. Not a problem if you didn't
need .001" accuracy. If you did, use a new end mill.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Small printed circuit drills and mills...spots and such - are often
sharpened and left to be sold for nothing. New is fast and cheap (more or less).

Often only a tip is broken - so the sides are not ground. Just regrind
the end of the endmill.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

more snippage
[...]

All of that may be fine...to a point...

.....if it's being done on a manual machine, I"ll give you the new
mill/cut to size...

....you said that in a commercial setting, that it won't work to use
resharps...or words to that effect...

....and I will still say that ALL it takes in a commercial setting is
to measure the end mill and put that size in your tool set up and
you're done...I do it every day, all day long.

I would NEVER dream of pulling up an old program and putting in tools
that I haven't measured and calibrated...anyone that does is not only
asking for scrap, but begging for it.

I'll continue to use resharps for where they make sense....and new for
where resharps aren't gonna work.

there is a time and a place for both....the key is to know which is
which.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggi -

I'd go in on say 10 pounds of it and pay say $25 for them.
That is 1/30 weight and 1/3 of the price. They being rolled
in paper or such and packed in a box so they don't grind or shave
each other.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 3, 10:30*pm, Ignoramus8793

On 2010-10-03, *wrote:

lid *wrote in message
[...]

i- Hide quoted text -

Iggy:

I've got a E-95 Darex end-mill grinder. If you decide to go forward
buying the endmills, let me know and I can sharpen them for you.

_kevin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 07:17:41 -0700 (PDT), karchiba
wrote:

BIG SNIP

I've got a E-95 Darex end-mill grinder. If you decide to go forward
buying the endmills, let me know and I can sharpen them for you.

_kevin

Hey Kevin,

Just out of curiosity, will the E-95 do ball nose?

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Someone is offering me a lot of appx. 300 lbs of used HSS endmills,
which are neatly sorted by size and need resharpening, for $75.

Let's say that I had an end mill sharpener like a Darex V90 or
whatever. Realistically, how long does it take to resharpen an end
mill (I would hire someone) and how much can I get per dozen of
"professionally" sharpened end mills, say in 1/4" size.

Hey Iggy,

You've had quite a few good pro and con replies so far, mostly "con".
I don't do any end-mill sharpening for myself (not qualified!!). On
the other hand, 75 bucks for 400 pounds sounds tempting, even if you
only sorted out 100 good ones. And if there is any of it in the
batch, carbide scrap is going for about $6.50 per pound
...http://www.jtsmach.com/jtswebshop/scrap_carbide.asp

I was just quoted $1/pound for 150 pounds of HSS scraph. Carbide is
around $9/pound.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 4, 12:02*pm, Brian Lawson wrote:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 07:17:41 -0700 (PDT), karchiba

wrote:

BIG SNIP

I've got a E-95 Darex end-mill grinder. *If you decide to go forward
buying the endmills, let me know and I can sharpen them for you.

_kevin

Hey Kevin,

Just out of curiosity, will the E-95 do ball nose?

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario

Brian,

I do have the radius attachment for sharpening ball-nose end mills.

_kevin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 13:22:47 -0700 (PDT), karchiba
wrote:

Brian,

I do have the radius attachment for sharpening ball-nose end mills.

_kevin

OK...thanks. I'll watch for one.

Brian.