Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Economics of end mill sharpening

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
fired this volley in
:

Let's say that I had an end mill sharpener like a Darex V90 or
whatever. Realistically, how long does it take to resharpen an end
mill (I would hire someone) and how much can I get per dozen of
"professionally" sharpened end mills, say in 1/4" size.

First off, Ig, the 1/4" mills won't be 1/4" once sharpened, unless you're
only touching up the ends.

My guess is that used endmills _from_someone_else_, regardless of
condition, are almost worthless commercially, but might have some decent
value (say 40% of new) to hobbyists. Most shops willing to use re-
sharpened mills are having their own done. About the only way to tell if
a mill has been properly re-ground is to cut with it, unless you have the
optical stuff and the knowlege to inspect them.

LLoyd

If you are running a long job and using an M42 or carbide endmill and
have a company that resharpens on a cnc grinder and will recoat the tin
on them you can save half the cost of new ones but they all have to be
the exact same diameter and length when ground or you have made yourself
a headache.

John