Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Economics of end mill sharpening

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 14:32:47 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 21:37:49 -0500, Ignoramus6607
wrote:

Someone is offering me a lot of appx. 300 lbs of used HSS endmills,
which are neatly sorted by size and need resharpening, for $75.

Let's say that I had an end mill sharpener like a Darex V90 or
whatever. Realistically, how long does it take to resharpen an end
mill (I would hire someone) and how much can I get per dozen of
"professionally" sharpened end mills, say in 1/4" size.

Hey Iggy,

You've had quite a few good pro and con replies so far, mostly "con".
I don't do any end-mill sharpening for myself (not qualified!!). On
the other hand, 75 bucks for 400 pounds sounds tempting, even if you
only sorted out 100 good ones. And if there is any of it in the
batch, carbide scrap is going for about $6.50 per pound
...http://www.jtsmach.com/jtswebshop/scrap_carbide.asp

I was just quoted $1/pound for 150 pounds of HSS scraph. Carbide is
around $9/pound.

--
Ned Simmons