Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mdavenport@iname.com is offline

Default Economics of end mill sharpening

more snippage
John

Maybe I'm just a little bit weird, but I actually LIKE when an endmill
is just a little undersize....

....as an example, if I am using a 3/8" endmill and the print is
actually calling for a 3/16" corner radius, if I just use the 3/8", I
may end up with chatter in the corner....

...but if I use a resharpened 3/8....it'll likely be around .360" and
all I need to do is change the tool diameter in the tool setup and I'm
done.

That gives me the strength and chip load of a 3/8 while being
undersize just enough to generate the radius rather than forming it.

And yes, I'm talking about in a commercial setting.

The only real drawback to it is that if there was any coating...TiN,
TiAlN, whathaveyou...it's largely ineffective.

Luck

Mike

I cut a lot of keyways and do them in on pass. A resharpened end mill
makes a project out of it.
If you know how much was taken off the endmill when it was reground you
can easily program for the smaller diameter but then if you happen to
have a new endmill in the holder... whoops. By the way you can get
regrounds recoated from some of the larger resharpen places.

John

All of that may be fine...to a point...

.....if it's being done on a manual machine, I"ll give you the new
mill/cut to size...

....you said that in a commercial setting, that it won't work to use
resharps...or words to that effect...

....and I will still say that ALL it takes in a commercial setting is
to measure the end mill and put that size in your tool set up and
you're done...I do it every day, all day long.

I would NEVER dream of pulling up an old program and putting in tools
that I haven't measured and calibrated...anyone that does is not only
asking for scrap, but begging for it.

I'll continue to use resharps for where they make sense....and new for
where resharps aren't gonna work.

there is a time and a place for both....the key is to know which is
which.

Mike