Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Easy bake rod holding oven

When it came time to open up my box of 7018AC electrodes, I didn't want to
just leave the box open, nor did I have the time to make a proper rod
holding oven. So, I concocted a quick and dirty holding oven from some items
I already had on hand: a five gallon metal paint can, a light bulb, some
aluminum flashing, a grounded line cord, and a porcelain lamp holder.

The line cord is connected through the bucket with a proper strain relief,
but it isn't visible in the pictures as it lives underneath a half inch of
insulation covered by aluminum tape. Although it is rated to 105C, I still
wanted to shield it a bit from IR and the ambient temperature of the unit.

The aluminum flashing serves to block the hot spot created by the lamp, and
also serves as a convective circulator, helping to even out the temperature
in the unit (there is about a one-inch gap at the bottom).

With a 60 watt light bulb, the rods achieve a uniform 220F temperature,
which while less than the 250F recommended by Lincoln, is still better than
letting them sit at the mercy of whatever the conditions inside my house
are.

The outside is covered in standard house insulation, and small insulation
"pillow" is placed over the lid to help insulate the unit. At 60 watts, the
unit will cost me about $3.00 a month in electricity.

Eventually I may upgrade it with a thermistor/SCR controlled heating element
from a toaster oven, but for now this works well enough.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3680/rodoven01.jpg
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9318/rodoven02.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5316/rodoven03.jpg
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/732/rodoven04.jpg

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How will you know when the bulb burns out? Is there a window or
peephole?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck fired this volley in news:8ac68afa-
:

How will you know when the bulb burns out? Is there a window or
peephole?

The oven gets cold. (slap forehead now)

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 17, 8:44*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
rangerssuck fired this volley in news:8ac68afa-
:

How will you know when the bulb burns out? Is there a window or
peephole?

The oven gets cold. (slap forehead now)

LLoyd

If it's well enough insulated, and it's in a warm place, the outside
shouldn't be appreciably warm. You shouldn't have to open it (letting
heat escape) to see if it's still alive, and you'd want something that
you could just glance at as you walk by.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
rangerssuck fired this volley:

How will you know when the bulb burns out? Is there a window or
peephole?

The oven gets cold. (slap forehead now)

Heh, indeed. Since this is a temporary measure (assuming I finish my
project before the lightbulb burns out), I'm not too concerned for the bulb
going out. It would be an easy matter to either hook an alarm, or hook up
another lightbulb to switch on when this one burns out, but I'd build the
unit properly with a heating element before I went to that amount of
trouble.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/17/2010 2:05 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
fired this volley:

How will you know when the bulb burns out? Is there a window or
peephole?

The oven gets cold. (slap forehead now)

Heh, indeed. Since this is a temporary measure (assuming I finish my
project before the lightbulb burns out), I'm not too concerned for the bulb
going out. It would be an easy matter to either hook an alarm, or hook up
another lightbulb to switch on when this one burns out, but I'd build the
unit properly with a heating element before I went to that amount of
trouble.

You know you can get purpose made screw-in infrared ceramic heating
elements at most pet stores. Not cheap but they don't burn out.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Danniken wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
rangerssuck fired this volley:

How will you know when the bulb burns out? Is there a window or
peephole?

The oven gets cold. (slap forehead now)

Heh, indeed. Since this is a temporary measure (assuming I finish my
project before the lightbulb burns out), I'm not too concerned for the bulb
going out.

Put a relay in series with the first bulb. When it burns out, the relay
de-energises. Wire the second bulb is in series with the Com and NC
contacts so it is energized when the first fails. RCA went one step
further in their TP-66 Film Chain Projector. The lamps were on a
motorized track that slid up & down. They had it timed so that as one
bulb cooled, the other was lighting. The speed of the track allow the
new bulb to be in position just as it hit full brilliance. Since it
only took a couple frames of film for the changeover, people watching TV
never noticed the changeover.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:05:57 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
rangerssuck fired this volley:

How will you know when the bulb burns out? Is there a window or
peephole?

The oven gets cold. (slap forehead now)

Heh, indeed. Since this is a temporary measure (assuming I finish my
project before the lightbulb burns out), I'm not too concerned for the bulb
going out. It would be an easy matter to either hook an alarm, or hook up
another lightbulb to switch on when this one burns out, but I'd build the
unit properly with a heating element before I went to that amount of
trouble.

Why not just run a 120v pilot indicator in line with the bulb,
serially? Is the light on? OK, your oven's hot!
http://www.google.com/search?q=120v+neon+indicator

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for
anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/17/2010 12:08 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Why not just run a 120v pilot indicator in line with the bulb,
serially? Is the light on? OK, your oven's hot!

All the volts would drop across the neon pilot light,
leaving nada for the bulb.

Personally, I'd buy a meat thermometer to poke through the top
of the Rod Bodge.

If it is labeled "Poulder" leave it in the store, though!

--Winston

--
I pride myself on my unimportance.
(One must excel at something, or what
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

J. Clarke wrote:
On 9/17/2010 2:05 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
fired this volley:

How will you know when the bulb burns out? Is there a window or
peephole?

The oven gets cold. (slap forehead now)

Heh, indeed. Since this is a temporary measure (assuming I finish my
project before the lightbulb burns out), I'm not too concerned for
the bulb going out. It would be an easy matter to either hook an
alarm, or hook up another lightbulb to switch on when this one burns
out, but I'd build the unit properly with a heating element before I
went to that amount of trouble.

You know you can get purpose made screw-in infrared ceramic heating
elements at most pet stores. Not cheap but they don't burn out.

Interesiting idea, thanks for that.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
On 9/17/2010 12:08 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Why not just run a 120v pilot indicator in line with the bulb,
serially? Is the light on? OK, your oven's hot!

All the volts would drop across the neon pilot light,
leaving nada for the bulb.

Personally, I'd buy a meat thermometer to poke through the top
of the Rod Bodge.

If it is labeled "Poulder" leave it in the store, though!

Well done! (ar ar ar)

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/17/2010 1:11 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Well done! (ar ar ar)

Oof!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 14:45:18 -0700, Steve Ackman
wrote:

In , on Fri, 17 Sep 2010 13:11:04 -0700,
Jon Danniken, wrote:

Well done! (ar ar ar)

You're two days early for Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Sorry, Steve. "Aye be gar!" is pirate talk.

"AR AR AR" is Tim Allen talk. "MORE POWER!"

Go, Binford Tools!

Debbe Dunning ROCKS!
http://fwd4.me/efv

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for
anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one
tumble down the stairs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 21:58:18 -0700, Steve Ackman
wrote:

wrote:

You're two days early for Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Sorry, Steve. "Aye be gar!" is pirate talk.

"AR AR AR" is Tim Allen talk. "MORE POWER!"

Go, Binford Tools!

Oh, CAPIATALIZED... That I would have recognized
(probably).

Thou needeth a stronger bean, my good man. When are you going to
start getting a good Sumatran? Alas, I still have your green beans in
the freezer. (This 1/2 conversation is sure to raise eyebrows, wot?)

Having just been reminded that talk like
a pirate day is so close, that's what my brain saw.

Whassa "Talk Like a Pirate Day", anywho?

Debbe Dunning ROCKS!
http://fwd4.me/efv

Does she have something to do with Tim Allen? Or
is she a pirate... (Does she shiver your timbers?)

She was the Binford Tool Girl on "Tool Time", a show with Tim Allen.

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for
anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one
tumble down the stairs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You're two days early for Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Sorry, Steve. "Aye be gar!" is pirate talk.

"AR AR AR" is Tim Allen talk. "MORE POWER!"

Go, Binford Tools!

Oh, CAPIATALIZED... That I would have recognized
(probably).

Thou needeth a stronger bean, my good man. When are you going to
start getting a good Sumatran? Alas, I still have your green beans in
the freezer. (This 1/2 conversation is sure to raise eyebrows, wot?)

Having just been reminded that talk like
a pirate day is so close, that's what my brain saw.

Whassa "Talk Like a Pirate Day", anywho?

Debbe Dunning ROCKS!
http://fwd4.me/efv

Does she have something to do with Tim Allen? Or
is she a pirate... (Does she shiver your timbers?)

She was the Binford Tool Girl on "Tool Time", a show with Tim Allen.

She was the SECOND Binford Tool Girl on "Tool Time" Pamela Anderson
was the first Binford Tool Girl.

enough left over to pay them.