Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco

Default Dacor W305 Wall Oven not holding Temp

I am totally disturbed with this
product. I have had it for about 15
years and it has been nothing but
trouble. I know, I should get just rid
of it, however, as I will be moving in a
year or so and the unit still looks
good, I don't want to do that. This
unit is pure crap. It has never held
the set temperature. I have had Dacor
service work on it and even had a new
controller installed a few years ago.
Dacor provided the controller, but
required me to pay an "authorized"

guy to intall it even though I could
have easily done the install myself.
This helped, but now it is now off in
temperature and is swinging way too wide
in temperature once again. The Easter
ham took 3 hours to essentially warm up
to 130 degrees, internal temperature!
Today, doing some tests with a
thermocouple, I determined it was off by
about 30 degrees (low) and was swinging
about 40 degrees from the high to low
points. Is there anyone familiar with
this model out there? Am I the only one
with a lemon? I feel really stupid
about buying this unit. When I was
doing the re-kitchen, it was the only
30" wall oven; others were only 27". It
was a "microprocessor" controlled
electric oven ..... that should make it
very acurate, right? .... boy was I wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger

Default Dacor W305 Wall Oven - try their website

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

We have a 27 inch 2005 Dacor wall model electric, and a Dacor gas range.
Both had some temp. probs to start with, but can be easily user recalibrated
from the front panel controls. Being older, your oven may have to be
serviced to adjust the temp. Within the warrantee period we got both ovens
to cook accurately, using a Dacor designated service - a local independent
repairmen. Unfortunately Dacor rates poorly in frequency of repair, but once
adjusted, in my experience, can have long and stable lives. My ovens "hunt"
for the set temp. and the swings while hunting can be as much as 30 degrees
or so each way near the beginning of the heating cycle, but we still get
good cooking results, because the avg maintained temp is exactly right.
Three hours to get a smoked ham to 130 degrees, from fridge temp, is not all
that off the mark, in our experience. It takes hours for the temp gradient
inside the ham to even out, and attain the desired temp in the core. Fridge
temp could be as much as 90 degrees cooler than your target temp. I dont
know about your thermocouple test, but oven testing thermometers can be
notoriously off calibration themselves. I have two, and one understated temp
by 25 degrees vs the other. The technician's digital probe agreed exactly
with one of the thermometers, so I threw out the other one.
What to do? Bottom Line, the Dacor website is complete and very helpful. Go
to dacor.com, and hit Customer Service. You can either write them from this
site (just copy your letter) or use their toll free number, and talk
directly to an oven engineer/technician right at the manufacturing facility
there in S California. We have found them extremely flexible, responsive,
courteous, as well as knowledgeable.
Best of Luck

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco

Roger wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info. Actually, the ham
was a small one and was actaully in the
oven at 300 degrees for 3 1/2 hours. I
think the actaul temp, from my tests
today, was running between 230 and 260,
but I didn't have the themocouple
in the oven at that time. I did
recalibrate the oven with an offset,
which makes
it closer. However, the swing is still
too great. When we first got the oven,
about
15 years ago, the swing was about 30 or
so degrees. After getting a new controller
a few years ago, it was only about 15
degrees. For large mass foods, large
swings
are ok, but for small things, like
cookies, it's horrible. I think my
temperature sensor
is probably the cause of this recent
problem. I will call Dacor tomorrow to
see what
they\ think. All I can say about Dacor
is that I would never buy another one of
their
products.