Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Had to draw my pistol today

..38 pistols are rather rare. Most handguns in that caliber are
revolvers. Is it a .38 super?

It's good that you were armed. Glad you weren't hurt.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
While on my walk today, I had occasion to draw my pistol but not
point it.

While walkin' along the Glacial Lakes trail, I heard a noise behind
me. That's remarkable, since I didn't have my hearing aids in place.

When I turned to look, I saw two mongrel dogs about 15 feet away.
They'd been stalking me and the noise was a growl. I saw teeth and I
wasn't looking at a doggy smile. I like dogs a lot, know a bit about
them. These were NOT friendly wagtail dogs. I don't recall seeing
collars but wouldn't swear they had none, but I was in the boonies,
not near even a farmhouse. I don't know what breed; they were about
the size of pit bulls and almost as ugly, basically dense, muscular,
shorthaired black mutts with an attitude.

I drew my .38 but didn't point it. While avoiding obvious eye
contact with the mutts I bent down, picked up a stick and tossed it at
an oblique angle not directly at them. Sometimes a hostile dog will
be distracted by that. These mutts weren't, but they did back off a
little. I took that as dismissal and started slowly resuming my walk,
while keeping the mutts in my peripheral vision, checking the
potential field of fire for distant walkers or bikers (none in sight)
and keeping the pistol out and pointed at the ground, finger outside
of the trigger guard.

After 50 yards or so, during which they didn't follow, I put the gun
away and resumed my walk at normal pace.

If they had continued to stalk and displayed any more aggressive
behavior, I'd have shot the aggressor(s) and tossed the carcass(es)
in the brush. Feral cats and dogs are fair game in rural MN, and an
aggressive critter that far from any domociles can certainly be
presumed to be feral rather than domestic. Ma nature's cleanup squad
(scavengers) would dispose of them quickly enough.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 17:49:59 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

.38 pistols are rather rare. Most handguns in that caliber are
revolvers. Is it a .38 super?

No, I use the term "pistol" loosely. It's a Ruger LCR revolver.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handgun

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" writes:

.38 pistols are rather rare. Most handguns in that caliber are
revolvers. Is it a .38 super?

It's good that you were armed. Glad you weren't hurt.

I'm accustomed to referring to any handgun (revolver, semi-auto, or
otherwise) as a pistol.

dictionary.com appears to agree with me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" writes:

.38 pistols are rather rare. Most handguns in that caliber are
revolvers. Is it a .38 super?

It's good that you were armed. Glad you weren't hurt.

I'm accustomed to referring to any handgun (revolver, semi-auto, or
otherwise) as a pistol.

dictionary.com appears to agree with me.

SM is not familiar with firearms, obviously.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve is not familiar with SM, obviously.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus