Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Into the "WAY BACK MACHINE"

More than a couple years ago (25? 30?), when I was getting into hunting I
made my own game bag for birds. I took some left over medium weight canvas
and made a simple deep bag with a shoulder strap. That's still pretty easy
as long as the wife doesn't catch me messing with one of her fancy sewing
machines. I think I sewed the original by hand.

I used the metal closer out of an old fishing bag in the top. It was
wonderful. If one of the birds I dropped in the bag started flapping again
it couldn't get away. When I opened the bag the spring/mechanism would hold
the bag open, and when I closed it the thing would be held closed. It
really was the best possible game bag for small migratory and upland bird
hunting. And even as bad as I shoot it would hold all my empty shells so I
didn't have to stuff them in my pockets.

My son expressed an interest in doing some bird hunting last year. I wasn't
sure if it would stick since he only dropped one bird and he lost it in
heavy brush, but he again expressed an interest this year. We have been out
three days, and we shot limits on two of them. (When I broke down and
headed out to my old stomping grounds on the second day.)

Now I am thinking about that old game bag of mine. I had stored it with
lots of other stuff from that time in my life in an old metal storage shed
at my dad's house. A metal storage shed that has long since blown away. So
I am looking at making a couple game bags like that one. I considered
buying a couple of those fishing bags and cannibalizing the spring mechanism
out of them, but they are all plastic now, and they don't have that nice
crisp snap to hold open and snap to hold closed like the metal ones.

Any suggestions for an alternative?

I've got some 0.080" stainless spring wire, and I am sure if I coil a couple
springs in it that it would make an adequate closer, but if it gets over
stressed on opening it will quit being a good closer. Also, there are times
when you WANT your game bag to stay open and it definitely won't do that
just made up as a simple mechanism.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

P.S. Before anybody suggests it, I have had a couple hunting vest and I
just do not like them. In rough country birds can fall out and a stunned
one that comes back to life can be a real adventure in and of itself.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I had a fishing creel with that kind of mechanism. I got it 51 years ago and
just tossed it around 2006. g

I never cut through the fabric to see how the spring worked, but it can't be
too difficult to replicate, if you get to look at one closely.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

[...]

I woulda paid you a couple bucks for it just for the mechanism. LOL.

I looked for them before. Maybe ten years ago, so I don't think they have
made the metal ones for a long time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Check Ohio travel bag.
They may have the hardware.
http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/
Unfortunately their online catalog is some annoying "Flash" software.
but if you rummage around long enough, you just might get what you need.

Paul K. Dickman

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 10:49:41 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 09:44:14 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

The simplest breakover spring mechanism I've seen is the retaining
loop on some small clevis pins. this is just a split ring with the
ends inserted in offset holes in the head of the pin. You could
substitute a flat strap in the place of the pin for sewing into the
bag.

Pete Keillor

Took me a minute to get the picture in my mind of the pin you are talking
about. It's the same pin I use for hold implements on the three points of
my tractor. Ok, got that. How do I adapt that. I'm having trouble
picturing what you have in mind. It is a good mechanism though and very
simple.

Replace the pin with a flat strap to be riveted or sewn into the back
of your bag. Make a small block with the offset holes to be welded or
riveted to the strap. Make a loop of piano wire or whatever of a size
to fit your lid flap to be attached as you see fit, maybe thread
through a sewn sleeve. Spread the ends enough to fit in the holes.

I don't know what angle or how far apart to place the holes to get the
closing action you want. If it was me, I'd experiment with that part
first.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in
:

Check Ohio travel bag.
They may have the hardware.
http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/
Unfortunately their online catalog is some annoying "Flash" software.
but if you rummage around long enough, you just might get what you
need.

OTB has a lot of really useful hardware. If you could meet a minimum
order, they used to sell to individuals. The last time I checked, you
had to have a business account to buy from them. I built a number of
cases using their hinges, handles, feet & latches. Much better stuff
than you could get from any other hardware source I've ever found.

Now, if you are an individual, you have to purchase through someone with
an account. Any luggage repair shop should do, I just haven't bothered
to hunt one down. Because of the minimum order requirement, I bought a
LOT of extras when I found something I liked. They have a form you can
fill out & they will send you a list of local vendors.

I've got a Zero Halliburton aluminum camera case I've used as a pistol
box for about 35 years, and the latches are getting tired. I filled out
the form, and I'll see if I can find someone easy to deal with who
handles their stuff locally. I'm sure I can get new latches from Zero,
but this is a good excuse to find a way to get other OTB products, and
probably cheaper than Zero will sell them.

On the orignal topic, I used to have a sort of minimalist briefcase that
used the same mechanism. It was a bit bigger than the average fishing
creel. The mechanism had four stiff straps. Each side consisted of two
straps with a piece of flat spring steel connecting them in the middle.
The two sides were hinged on the ends. Unfortunately, I can't quite
remember the details of the hold-open mechanism. I think there was a
flat leaf spring and some sort of cam that had a flat spot located where
it sat agaisnt the spring when the sides were opened.

Doug White

I forgot about those. Yep. The same mechanism and about the same strength.
I think a trip to Staples is in order.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 18:29:59 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

I've got a Zero Halliburton aluminum camera case I've used as a pistol
box for about 35 years, and the latches are getting tired. I filled out
the form, and I'll see if I can find someone easy to deal with who
handles their stuff locally. I'm sure I can get new latches from Zero,
but this is a good excuse to find a way to get other OTB products, and
probably cheaper than Zero will sell them.

Let me know. Ive got several Chicago hard tool cases that have one
broken latch and the other is getting ...shakey.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote:

I don't know what angle or how far apart to place the holes to get the
closing action you want. If it was me, I'd experiment with that part
first.

Pete Keillor

Remember a few years ago when there was an item called a "snap bracelet"
that was popular with young people ? When straight is was curved lengthwise
similar to a tape measure , but when bent a bit it would curl around your
wrist . I'm pretty sure the closing mechanism under discussion uses that
same principle . A similar device is used in some handbags ...

--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Sep 6, 6:28 am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
[...]

You might want to check dive stores to see if they have them in metal.
Karl

That's not a bad idea. A mesh harvest bag of some kind might have a similar
or better mechanism.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 08:28:14 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

wrote in message

You might want to check dive stores to see if they have them in metal.

That's not a bad idea. A mesh harvest bag of some kind might have a similar
or better mechanism.

"Yes, I'm looking for something in a nice, plaid, stainless steel,
shark-proof bait bag. What do you have in stock?"

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote in
:

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in
:

[...]

I got an email back from Ohio Travel Bag, and they now have an online
outlet that carries most of their general hardware. It doesn't
necesarily show brand specific repair parts (like the Zero Halliburton
latches I need), but they do show all of the case hardware I've used in
the past.

http://www.hardwareelf.com/index.html

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

For anybody else who might have been interested.

Ohio Travel Bag Catalog Page 35
http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/FlipBoo...210/index.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in
:

[...]

http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/FlipBoo...20p210/index.h
tml

Bingo! Nice find. If you decide to try to get soem of these, let us know
if you succeeed in getting the from OTB, or if you end up going through
Hardware Elf.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
"Bob La Londe" wrote in
:

[...]

They sell business to business if you are manufacturing. For onesy twosey
you need to buy retail or through distribution.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
"Bob La Londe" wrote in
:

[...]

Ok... here is the summary. I did get a price to buy them retail from OTB,
but I thought it was kinda high. I got the impression that if I had said I
intended to manufacture and sell a product made with these the price would
have been substantially different. I try not to lie to people however. I
tried Hardware Elf and was unable to find it at all. Then for the heck of
it I tried Amazon and found several different sizes listed with another
name. The key for me was to know the name of the product to search for.

The name to search for is "Spring Frame" or "Purse Spring Frame."