Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Into the "WAY BACK MACHINE"

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
"Bob La Londe" wrote in
:

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
More than a couple years ago (25? 30?), when I was getting into
hunting I made my own game bag for birds. I took some left over
medium weight canvas and made a simple deep bag with a shoulder
strap. That's still pretty easy as long as the wife doesn't catch me
messing with one of her fancy sewing machines. I think I sewed the
original by hand.

I used the metal closer out of an old fishing bag in the top. It was
wonderful. If one of the birds I dropped in the bag started flapping
again it couldn't get away. When I opened the bag the
spring/mechanism would hold the bag open, and when I closed it the
thing would be held closed. It really was the best possible game bag
for small migratory and upland bird hunting. And even as bad as I
shoot it would hold all my empty shells so I didn't have to stuff
them in my pockets.

My son expressed an interest in doing some bird hunting last year. I
wasn't sure if it would stick since he only dropped one bird and he
lost it in heavy brush, but he again expressed an interest this year.
We have been out three days, and we shot limits on two of them.
(When I broke down and headed out to my old stomping grounds on the
second day.)

Now I am thinking about that old game bag of mine. I had stored it
with lots of other stuff from that time in my life in an old metal
storage shed at my dad's house. A metal storage shed that has long
since blown away. So I am looking at making a couple game bags like
that one. I considered buying a couple of those fishing bags and
cannibalizing the spring mechanism out of them, but they are all
plastic now, and they don't have that nice crisp snap to hold open
and snap to hold closed like the metal ones.

Any suggestions for an alternative?

I've got some 0.080" stainless spring wire, and I am sure if I coil a
couple springs in it that it would make an adequate closer, but if it
gets over stressed on opening it will quit being a good closer.
Also, there are times when you WANT your game bag to stay open and it
definitely won't do that just made up as a simple mechanism.

For anybody else who might have been interested.

Ohio Travel Bag Catalog Page 35
http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/FlipBoo...20p210/index.h
tml

Bingo! Nice find. If you decide to try to get soem of these, let us know
if you succeeed in getting the from OTB, or if you end up going through
Hardware Elf.

They sell business to business if you are manufacturing. For onesy twosey
you need to buy retail or through distribution.

Doug White