Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electric wood glue curing

I tried to Google information on a process that will cure wood glue by
passing an electric current through it, it was almost instantaneous. I've
never seen it done but remember hearing about it. Does anybody have any
information about it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message
I tried to Google information on a process that will cure wood glue by
passing an electric current through it, it was almost instantaneous. I've
never seen it done but remember hearing about it. Does anybody have any
information about it?

I never heard of an electric wood glue cure. It would be tough
to get much current to flow in wood. Safely.
Perhaps you're thinking of the industrial process of curing wood
glue with RF induction heating?
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 20, 8:44*pm, "Buerste" wrote:
I tried to Google information on a process that will cure wood glue by
passing an electric current through it, it was almost instantaneous. *I've
never seen it done but remember hearing about it. *Does anybody have any
information about it?

Don't remember one where the current passed THROUGH the glue, but
there are any number of processes where the glue is set by using RF
current for heating, plywood aircraft were done that way in WWII and
the sulky company my dad worked for cured their laminated cart poles
that way. Melamine resin glue and urea-based glues were a couple of
them. Were pretty fast compared to air setting. Basically an RF
oscillator feeding a suitably shaped coil, pretty primitive
electronics. Just used a power triode(or several). Some things are
still laminated that way.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 20, 4:44*pm, "Buerste" wrote:
I tried to Google information on a process that will cure wood glue by
passing an electric current through it, it was almost instantaneous. *I've
never seen it done but remember hearing about it. *Does anybody have any
information about it?

Microwaves.
http://www.p2pays.org/ref/10/09081.pdf
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 20, 10:22*pm, wrote:
[...]

http://cpadhesives.com/ArticleRfGluing.php

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 22:44:41 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

I tried to Google information on a process that will cure wood glue by
passing an electric current through it, it was almost instantaneous. I've
never seen it done but remember hearing about it. Does anybody have any
information about it?

It's known as "lightning", boy. Don't you know _anything_?

Caveats: It's known to explode wood and leave it smoking a bit, and
the voltages/amperages are known by the State of California to be
hazardous to your health. I guess that won't bother you in Oh10.

--
We're all here because we're not all there.