Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question: Magnolia wood curing

My 30-foot-plus tall Evergreen Magnolia has died or is close to it. It
still has a few green leaves, including some new ones, so I am giving it
every chance to recover. When it is clearly completely dead, I will have
it harvested for the wood. I had used some of the storm broken branches a
couple of years ago; it is lovely wood.

I have the opportunity to get some wood from a tree killed in the same
storm that likely damaged mine so badly which may have led to its demise.
The people will be cutting the tree completely down in the next few weeks,
and I am lucky enough to be getting the bulk of the large wood.
Unfortunately, the pieces from them will likely be in 2 to 3-foot lengths,
but that can be used in many projects as well. (I'm hoping I'll be able
to get longer pieces from my own tree.)

Magnolia is a hardwood. What would be the best way to handle it when it
is cut for the best wood for later use?

Glenna

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 14, 2:03 am, (Glenna Rose) wrote:

Magnolia is a hardwood. What would be the best way to handle it when it is cut for the best wood for later use?

Glenna

I have salvaged and turned a lot of it on my lathe. It is a really
pretty wood, but it is sure tempermental. Some of it split all
pieces, and some of it really behaved. It doesn't seem to make a
difference of where I get it or when, it is my personal experience it
is very unstable.

If you got it cut up into some workable planks, I would sticker it,
weight it, and cover it to the ground with a tarp as soon as possible
(this stuff has split while on my lathe...)

On the other hand, the pieces that make the trip are worth the
hassle. The wood is creamy colored and will darken a little to a
light amber. If you tree has one of the many infirmaries that kill
Magnolia, you may be in for a real treat. I have turned some (and
have some in my backyard that are lathe bound) that looks like
Ambrosian Maple.

That's my 0.02, FWIW.

Robert

Magnolia Worth Turning? charlie b Woodturning 8 October 1st 06 08:45 PM
Anyone have experience turning Magnolia? mac davis Woodturning 21 May 7th 05 05:24 AM
Grout curing jeffc Home Repair 6 April 28th 05 06:24 PM
magnolia good for turning? Zarka Woodturning 9 September 13th 04 03:20 PM
magnolia Dr. Deb Woodturning 7 March 12th 04 05:21 AM