Zarka

Default magnolia good for turning?

I have heard of a magnolia tree coming out near me, and have never seen
the inside of one. Can anyone here comment on color, stability, grain,
heart vs sapwood, etc?

It's a pretty big tree, which is all I ever bother with, so it should
have plenty heartwood. Say 2ft dia.

Jamrelliot

Like you, I had never turned any magnolia until this pasted week. Turned 2
large bowls (11-12 inches) and a 5 inch box. They didn't impress me very much.
Not much contrast in color or grain. Probably want turn any more. Wood seemed
pretty stable.

Jim
Steven D. Russell

Hello Zarka,

I turn Magnolia frequently as it grows in abundance here in the Houston
area. For me, Magnolia is a mixed bag... If I can get it on the day its cut
and process it into rough outs the same day, it will keep its white colour.
However, if it is down more than a day or two, a nasty fungus starts (way
too much heat and humidity here) and it rapidly turns a dirty dishwater
grey/black/off white colour.

Magnolia turns and dries easily and features wide growth rings and medium
sized pores. It makes wonderful utility bowls as it has high shock
resistance, even in thin sections. I prefer to burn/scorch most of the
Magnolia I turn to eliminate the dirty dishwater colours. This produces a
uniform black, or deep caramel colour which is visually provocative and
pleasing.

If you can get it fresh enough and process it rapidly, it will keep the
light colour. There are little to no remarkable grain features and overall,
Magnolia is rather bland. It takes dyes well and is a good candidate for
adjunctive treatments like gilding, metal leafing, metallic impregnated
lacquer finishes, metal patinas and similar treatments.

I would get some and give it a go, just don't expect wild grain, or stunning
figure. All in all, its a nice timber, but it really needs some help to look
its best. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio
The Woodlands, Texas

Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

³Woodturning with Steven D. Russell² Volume #1 CD ROM * Available
Volume #2 CD ROM/DVD Video * Available Soon

Kip055

Can anyone here comment on color, stability, grain,
heart vs sapwood, etc?

When I lived in SE Texas, I turned some magnolia: it is "well behaved", but
bland. If you get some that is freshly cut and are able to induce spalting,
you will like it!

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Russ Fairfield

I don't want to be disagreeable, but..... Where are you guys getting all of
this bland Magnolia?? You aren't describing a wood that is even close to the
Magnolia that I am familiar with.

I have had a lot of Magnolia wood from North Florida, Louisiana, and Southern
California. All of it was large, 16" diameter and over, with a wide ring of
white wood around a very dark brown and black heartwood. The white wood spalts
easily, and that fungus leaves a blue-stain that retains its color, accents the
wood grain, and adds an attractive color interest to the wood.

It is a strong wood, with a bold grain, cuts cleanly, retains its bark well,
and has no bad habits while drying. I love the stuff.

Russ Fairfield
Post Falls, Idaho
http://www.woodturnerruss.com/

Arch

Russ, I agree. You aren't being disagreeable. Just defending the
beauty and delights of North Florida magnolia. The wood is great for
turning, the shaded avenues of flowering magnolias are beautiful and the
Tallahassee Lassies (aka 'Magnolias') are lovely. Arch

Fortiter,

Zarka

Interesting. It sounds like there are at least two magnolia types out
there, and since I'm in California, not Idaho, Texas or Florida, I'll
have to go see this tree myself when they cut it up.

Tony Manella

There are definitely two types of magnolia, evergreen and deciduous. I've
turned the deciduous type which grows here in our colder climate of
Pennsylvania, and found the properties to be similar to that described by
Jim and Kip.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.com/

"Zarka" wrote in message
Interesting. It sounds like there are at least two magnolia types out
there, and since I'm in California, not Idaho, Texas or Florida, I'll
have to go see this tree myself when they cut it up.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi All

My info says "the magnolia genus comprises about 80 species; 8 are
native to north america"
Overall the wood being soft, weak, close grained ;durable and easily
worked. Diffuse porous.
I've never turned it myself, maybe someday i'll get some to try, it's
rare around here, the only native one is the "Cucumber Tree".
I would say if its free it's got to be good turning wood (G).

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

"Zarka" wrote in message

Interesting. It sounds like there are at least two magnolia types out
there, and since I'm in California, not Idaho, Texas or Florida, I'll
have to go see this tree myself when they cut it up.

mac davis

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:11:59 -0700, Zarka
wrote:

Interesting. It sounds like there are at least two magnolia types out
there, and since I'm in California, not Idaho, Texas or Florida, I'll
have to go see this tree myself when they cut it up.

I live in central CA and have a large magnolia in my front yard...
years ago, I tried to find out a little about it's care and there were
so many kinds of magnolias that I gave up trying to find out what kind
it is!

Mac

what can I expect from a "good" lumberyard? igor Woodworking 4 July 7th 04 08:45 PM
Good sawmills - northern Minnestoa James Van Vleet Woodworking 3 May 23rd 04 06:54 PM
Good Pulley Subw00er Woodworking 4 February 12th 04 05:09 AM
Is this a good deal HomeBrewer Woodworking 7 February 5th 04 01:50 AM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 12:39 PM