Subw00er

Default Good Pulley

Can someone point me towards a good pulley source? I need a 5", 5/8" bore,
pulley for my old Rockwell belt sander (It will go on a 1hp electric motor).
I just bought one from McMaster (Part #6245K47 - Die Cast Finished-Bore
V-Belt Pulley 4L, A-, & Ax-Section, 5" OD, 3/4" Bore $5.39) but it is of
low quality. It is cast with a machined center which sounds good, but
doesn't really help because the rest of it is out of round and introduces
vibration! I'm pretty sure its not balanced either. I guess I'm looking for
a machined aluminum pulley?

I don't mind spending $20 or so for a pulley if it will be machined true. I
heard from UA100 (Thanks!) that the Browning pulleys are good, but I don't
see a place to buy them online. Are they high quality?

Thanks for any replies.

Don

www.grainger.com

Part number 3X786, 3X845, 3X881 are close, made by Browning. Grainger also
carries cheaper Congress brand, and both Grainger and McMaster should be
happy to exchange if the one you have is out of round if out of specified
tolerances.

Don

"Subw00er" wrote in message
[...]

mike

"Subw00er" wrote in message . ..
Can someone point me towards a good pulley source? I need a 5", 5/8" bore,
pulley for my old Rockwell belt sander (It will go on a 1hp electric motor).
I just bought one from McMaster (Part #6245K47 - Die Cast Finished-Bore
V-Belt Pulley 4L, A-, & Ax-Section, 5" OD, 3/4" Bore $5.39) but it is of
low quality. It is cast with a machined center which sounds good, but
doesn't really help because the rest of it is out of round and introduces
vibration! I'm pretty sure its not balanced either. I guess I'm looking for
a machined aluminum pulley?

I don't mind spending $20 or so for a pulley if it will be machined true. I
heard from UA100 (Thanks!) that the Browning pulleys are good, but I don't
see a place to buy them online. Are they high quality?

Thanks for any replies.

Check yellow pages under power transmission. These suppliers will get
you exactly what you need, mention you want high quality machined
pulley.

mike

Subw00er

I ended up going to Grainger (there is a local outlet near me! sweet!) and
buying the 3X786 (actually, the 5/8 version, but it looks the same). It has
spokes and is very true, heavy and well made. I'm happy with this one and it
took care of a lot of the vibration I was experiencing. Thanks for the